84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Another front cab leak thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021 | 03:00 PM

Another front cab leak thread.

The PO of my pickup said the windshield leaked. After I picked it up there was a pretty good rain and no water came through. I had a windshield guy come by and check it out anyways. Dude had a look and inspected the inside and said it's not the windshield. He said it's likely the cowl drain being plugged from debris. He didn't remove the moulding and didn't look at the windshield from that vantage. It's raining pretty good now and there is water making it's way in. I'm at work so I've just got a quick shot of it. It's made it's way in somewhere and running just below the glove compartment. No water in the actual glove compartment. What's everyone think? What's the first thing I need to start digging into this thing when I'm off work?

A few pics

Old 11-25-2021 | 07:39 PM

Dug into this a little tonight. I’m convinced the water isn’t coming from the cowl. It’s got to be from the window.

To me, the cowl looks solid, inside and out. The spot it drains looks good on both sides too.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

If I’m missing something, let me know. Also, let me know if there’s somewhere else I should be looking into this. Otherwise I’m going to be having the windshield guy back.
Old 11-26-2021 | 10:35 AM

I'm dealing with a similar situation and the glass guy said about the same thing. What glass company are you dealing with? What about removing the glove box/ducting under the dash and using a hose to be sure it's not the cowl leaking, That's my plan. I think it's the windshield. Another thing is the seam seal in the gutter above the doors. If the seam seal has deteriorated and water is getting in, it can run down the A pillar and onto the floor. Let us know what you find out, a leaking cab is no way to live.
Old 11-26-2021 | 02:12 PM

Under the hood just below the cowl is possible, but doesn't seem to match that well with where your puddle is. Here's a thread that may help.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post52458297
Old 11-26-2021 | 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by toyoda addict
What glass company are you dealing with?
Just a local place called First Class Auto Glass.

What about removing the glove box/ducting under the dash and using a hose to be sure it's not the cowl leaking, That's my plan. I think it's the windshield. Another thing is the seam seal in the gutter above the doors. If the seam seal has deteriorated and water is getting in, it can run down the A pillar and onto the floor.
I’ll look into this when I get back home. I pulled the glove box and pulled up some of the carpet. The carpet was pretty wet, so water was getting in and running down more than just onto the weather mat. Here’s a picture looking up through where the glove box would sit. Looks like some water was running onto and around the ducting and dripping off.

Here’s the puddling water under the carpet.

Originally Posted by OldBlueMidnight
Under the hood just below the cowl is possible, but doesn't seem to match that well with where your puddle is.
Here’s the best picture I’ve got under the hood. I don’t see a seam at the inner fender and firewall that could be leaking. Maybe I’m not looking at the right spot. Let me know.

​​​​I’ll have to look into the gutter seal too. I know there’s some surface rust there. I’ll have to run some water down it and see if it makes it into the cab.

Let us know what you find out, a leaking cab is no way to live.
For sure. Here in the PNW, if you’ve got a good leak, which I do, you can go months without getting the cab completely dried out. That’s not something I’m going to put up with.

Last edited by Baller; 11-26-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2021 | 06:03 AM

Once in a while I get a similar leak like this through the blower motor. I did have to rebuild a lot of that inner Cowell though. I tried to cover that opening above the vent but it sucked the cover in. I need to put the screen back in.

Something still leaks on the driver's side too. That one seems to be the clutch MC. It had a gasket to the fire wall and it must have been disturbed when I replaced it. I'm not 100 percent sure it isn't the windshield though. It was replaced a year ago and who knows there.

Is the blower motor wet from any of that?
Old 11-27-2021 | 06:22 AM

You might have came across this but if not it’s a good thread for the windshield,

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-maker-107858/

I consider myself lucky with my windshield, the last one I got I hung out with the tech and it looked pretty solid, I did get rid of the chrome trim though as it was pretty tattered and the black looks better to me. I wouldn’t pick your brain apart until you verify the windshield status
Old 11-27-2021 | 08:25 AM

Bad Gutter SealCaused My Leak

Check the seal on the gutter. That's where my leak came from. Water somehow wicked to the front toward the upper corner of windshield surround.
Tape in photo was applied to eliminate doubt on the windshield mounting/adhesion.
MORE DETAILS HERE: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52348553

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 11-27-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-28-2021 | 06:52 AM

I circled the area I was having problems with, except mine was on the driver's side. Water would run down the inside of the firewall and soak the carpet.

Old 12-03-2021 | 11:32 AM

I dug under the dash much more. I could see a spot when water had been dripping in. You can see the stream of rust coming down.

I treated that spot from the outside but can see that at the spot where water has really been running in. I ran water down the windshield and couldn’t get anything to drip in. I should have put some water down the drip rails. I can do that tonight. Here’s what they look like.

They don’t look all that terrible to me either. Maybe it’s just enough to let water in.
Old 12-03-2021 | 11:43 AM

I’m going to highjack my own thread for a second. After removing the glove box I noticed some wiring connectors that weren’t plugged into anything. I didn’t look real hard but, I didn’t see anything they should have been plugged into. Anyone know what these connectors should go to?

Old 12-03-2021 | 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by OldBlueMidnight
I circled the area I was having problems with, except mine was on the driver's side. Water would run down the inside of the firewall and soak the carpet.
Here’s a better shot of that area. Doesn’t look to be the problem.

I have a feeling I’m just going to have to get a windshield guy to remove it and the problem will be clear as day.
Old 12-04-2021 | 08:16 AM

It’s raining today and I nailed down two contributors. Looks like the grommet the wiring harness goes through is leaking, as well as a whole right below it. You can see a bead of water already formed coming from that whole. It’s nice to know I’ve for sure found some spots.

Here’s where some is coming on the inside.

Here’s where it’s coming in from the outside.

Now I’ve got to figure out where the water was coming in that was running down the bottom of the glove box and onto the rubber mat, in the first post. No way the two spots pointed out above are the source of that.
Old 12-06-2021 | 12:31 PM

It's raining more today. Work on the cowl/firewall/kick panel is definitely in order. I really want to tear into this thing and bomb proof the entire area. It would take some time but, I'm over this leaking cab.
Old 12-06-2021 | 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Baller
I dug under the dash much more. I could see a spot when water had been dripping in. You can see the stream of rust coming down.

I treated that spot from the outside but can see that at the spot where water has really been running in. I ran water down the windshield and couldn’t get anything to drip in. I should have put some water down the drip rails. I can do that tonight. Here’s what they look like.

They don’t look all that terrible to me either. Maybe it’s just enough to let water in.
that rust under the windshield trim is a culprit too. What you see there is just the tip of the iceberg. I tore into that a little over a year ago. mine was bad.
Old 12-07-2021 | 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Damion812
that rust under the windshield trim is a culprit too. What you see there is just the tip of the iceberg. I tore into that a little over a year ago. mine was bad.
Why you trying to kill my day like this. I was having a good day and you come along with this and try to kill my vibe? On a serious note, I'm going to put up with it through the winter here and really get after it this spring/summer when things dry out.
Old 12-07-2021 | 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Baller
Why you trying to kill my day like this. I was having a good day and you come along with this and try to kill my vibe? On a serious note, I'm going to put up with it through the winter here and really get after it this spring/summer when things dry out.

I'm not trying to kill your day, the rust maker frame trim is😁 a lot of people have eliminated it. me too but I'm not in love with the look , we didn't have all the trim anyhow. I thought I could switch to the rubber gasket seal but the windshield is a different size.

Put gorilla tape around it on a sunny day.