84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

‘89 Head Gasket blew: worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020 | 05:02 PM

‘89 Head Gasket blew: worth it??

Hi all! I’m 500 miles shy of 300k on my ‘89 3.slow 5-speed and the head gasket just went. Toyota did the factory recall about 150,000 miles ago so I’m a little surprised the “new” one blew already. There were some underlying issues that probably contributed, such as slight coolant leak and some other thing...Something that shouldn’t be overlooked is the previous mechanic changed the timing belt and didn’t replace the water pump/therm which is absolutely ridiculous. That’s besides the point tho...

The big question: I’ve been told by 3 local mechanics near me (Brevard, NC) that just replacing heads on a vehicle with so many miles may be asking for trouble when another motor component inevitably goes. They all 3 suggested an engine swap if I REALLY wanted to keep the truck (it has sentimental value haha). I’ve been quoted $8k for a 3.0/3.4 swap and (just for fun) $15k for a new Cummings diesel conversion! Do these numbers seem right? Do you guys think this would be worth it if there’s no rust, tranny is fine? Or..should I just sell this thing for parts? I’m having trouble parting with this thing but $8k seems absurd to me!I thought engine swaps were less expensive than that...Also, may just say screw it and put some Blue Devil in there and see what happens! Thanks for the insight, wise sages of YotaTech
-Tommy
Old 12-05-2020 | 12:12 PM

IMHO, it's worth every penny, and every minute of your time, to replace the head gaskets yourself! Just because the head GASKET went bad, and they do, doesn't mean the head(s) are bad. Any decent machine shop will test them for you. They can hot tank them for you as well, if they're good. Then, a gasket kit, some time spent cleaning the old gasket materiel off, replacing the gasket, and the time installing the head. Bingo!
AND awaaaay we go! as Jackie Gleason used to say. Does anyone remember that, or am I just dating myself?

I only have a little 22RE in my 4Runner, but I had to replace the head, and gasket, at about 155k miles after an alleged "friend" blew it by overheating the truck. Repeatedly. The water pump belt came off while he was driving it while borrowing it. It happens. These things can throw a belt, or belts can break. Did he stop and replace it with the spare belt, and tools, I keep in the truck? Naaaah...He drove it until it over heated, let it cool down, drove it till it over heated, etc, etc, until he got it back to my house. Cracked the head, bigger than S&*^. I bought a new one, and a gasket kit from FelPro, and put it on, and IT was bad when I bought it, as verified by a machine shop. I finally got one that was good, and put it on, with another gasket kit, myself. Thats was 20 some years ago, and it's still going strong today.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Pat☺
The following 2 users liked this post by 2ToyGuy:
Damion812 (12-06-2020), old87yota (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020 | 01:52 PM

Tommy
8K ????? engine swap???????? 15K Diesel??????
1st off, stay away from these guys. All they want to do is rip you off. You don't need either.
Just have a machine shop check your head for cracks and if needed do a valve job or buy a new or rebuilt head. Buy a toyota head gasket and roll up your sleeves. This is not brain surgery.
And like my friend 2ToyGuy and Jackie Gleason said...................................and away we go..........................and you'll be set for another 155k with your friend.
Yes Pat, you're dating yourself
Good luck
Hump
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020 | 01:56 PM

Tommy
1 more thing
Put this in the correct forum, the one for 86-95
Hump

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 12-06-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2020 | 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=2ToyGuy;52454925]IMHO, it's worth every penny, and every minute of your time, to replace the head gaskets yourself! Just because the head GASKET went bad, and they do, doesn't mean the head(s) are bad. Any decent machine shop will test them for you. They can hot tank them for you as well, if they're good.

Totally agree, totally agree. I had to put head gaskets in my 3.0 at 228,000 miles. When I pulled the heads, every cylinder had crosshatching all the way around, top to bottom, with no cylinder ridge that I could either see or feel with a fingernail. I took the heads to the best shop in town, got them worked and the valve clearance set and put it back together. If it's not burning a ton of oil and showing signs of being at end of life, you might be pleasantly surprised when you get it apart. I know I was. While you are there, get the injectors rebuilt, the starter rebuilt and the alternator rebuilt. Replace any suspect rubber hoses, or just replace all of them. Replace the injector cups and clean all of the crap out of the intake manifold. I took the radiator in and got it boiled out too, just because it was out of the truck.

If you get the heads off and find the bottom end needs to be done, you can cross that bridge then. Rebuilding the engine that came in the truck is the shortest path to being back on the road. Doing the job with an eye peeled for anything you can think of that might break in the next few years will limit the number of times you have to work on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by dbittle:
2ToyGuy (12-07-2020), old87yota (12-06-2020)
Old 12-08-2020 | 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
Tommy
1 more thing
Put this in the correct forum, the one for 86-95
Hump
Man you’re totally correct! Wrong forum indeed. I’m assuming I’ll have to start a new thread? I didn’t see an option to move forums when I clicked edit.