84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 rebuild ran perfect now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008 | 12:45 PM

85 rebuild ran perfect now won't start

Soooo close it hurts. finally got the atk 22re rebuild in there, started her up and she ran okay but a little rough so i adjusted the tps (per 4 crawler's sick web page) and it checked out but did need a little adjustment, although the readings were slightly off of spec. after that i was able to time properly to 5 btdc and everything seemed perfect beyond my wildest dreams, running smooth, idling at 800 steady i was down to bleeding the brakes and taking her down to the exhaust shop for a muffler and tailpipe.
I ran the motor for probably a total of 20 minutes mostly at idle but revving a little to get oil pressure up and see how it sounded(loud without a muffler but sweet nonetheless) temp looking good.
Moved it into the yard to hose out the garage, put it back, shut it off and now it won't start????
I have spark from the coil and number 1 (partner didn't have time to check every plug wire-but cap, rotor, wires and plugs are all new) and i tested the fuel pump (again with the help of 4crawlers page) so i know that it is at least pumping. I even cracked the cold start connector to try and bleed any air out (not sure if that works from there) and it sprayed out hard, seems to have good pressure and can't find any leaks anywhere. after that attempt it actually sputtered for a second, but nothing in following attempts.
I don't want to keep cranking this new motor over, afraid i'm going to cause damage.
could the afm be causing trouble even if the fuel pump test is shorted? do I have air in the fuel rail? injectors are all lcengineering rebuilt spay tested too.
any ideas? hope this is something dumb and simple that makes me feel like a retard for asking.
Old 07-22-2008 | 12:49 PM

Did you have the distributer tightened down, maybe it spun after you set the timing?
Check the grounds? Sounds spark related.
Jim

Last edited by foot0069; 07-22-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2008 | 12:57 PM

snug as a bug, just went and double checked. forgot to mention there was initially what appeared to be a very slow drip from the tank to fuel filter connection, but i cranked it down and seems to have stopped. that was before i checked the pump and tried to bleed it.
Old 07-22-2008 | 11:40 PM

well, it turned out to be simple. all i had to do is try starting it for the 20th time and it fired up. maybe running the fuel pump for a few minutes while the truck was off primed the system and got some air out. still not sure why it ran for so long then decided to quit. maybe she was just having second thoughts about committing to another 1/4 million miles ( hopefully more). hope it doesn't do that again. back on track for now. thanks for the comeback foot0069.