84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 Pickup Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Pickup Starting Problems

My pickup was sitting for about a month and was not started. A couple of days ago I started it and it ran fine for about 15 minutes and I shut if off. A couple of hours later I tried to start it again and it would not start. Now it will not start at all. I've got spark and the starter is working. If i spray starter fluid it will turn over and as long as the starter fluid is flowing it will run. Any sugguestions?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Cali,

Is it carbed or EFI? If it's EFI, always check the fuses, first. I had that happen to me and it was the COR(Circuit Open Relay)... Anyway, first let us know if it's 22r or 22re, ok?

It could also be that you're not getting any fuel. Check the basics, "Fuel, Spark and Air".....but it sounds like either something sensor or fuse/electronic related just gave up the ghost. Just guessin at this point, lol.

Welcome to Yotatech, Calispud!

PS> You a CA Raised but livin in Vegas now situation? Just trying to figure out the ID, lol.

Mark
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 AM

Thank you very much. It is the 22re. I haven't worked on a car or truck in a while so i'm slowly getting back into it. I grew up in ca but I've lived in Vegas for 4 years now. I have just been able to get my truck out here so it has been sitting for a while. So slowly but surely getting back into it. The truck itself is in great shape. I bought it about 6 years ago with 119k miles and now its got 123k and has never let me down.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:23 AM

First things, first.... and my pleasure, btw....

1. Checked for Codes? (if not it's near the coil in the fender wall, I believe.. I'll check my book tomorrow if no one fills in the blanks on that or if you don't have a book yourself, lol).

2. Doubtful it's dirty or H20 in fuel if it's only been sitting a month. Maybe replace the filter anyway if it's been over 25K miles. It can wait longer(especially for now while you're trying to pinpoint the problem), but sometimes....like what happened to me, I got bad fuel at a shell and I mean REALLY BAD! LOL. Filter was bad, but that just finished it off.... COMPLETELY clogged up.

3. Sounds like you're not getting fuel.. Maybe crack the damper(big nutted sucker on the end of the fuel rail toward the front of the motor) just a tad and then crank it over, just to see if fuel comes out. Fuel pressure is pretty good in these, and it WILL leak if you just pop it back a 1/4 turn or so. You should first just have someone turn to key to START position and listen right near the pump to see if it's humming!

4. You're obviously getting spark, so I would focus on the EFI system. Before even 1,2 or 3, check your EFI fuse. IT CAN and has many times been a 'NO START' for many guys on here. If you find no fuel is the problem and the EFI fuse is good then maybe check the Main EFI Relay right in there, too.

Before any of that... you have a book?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM

I do have the book read it a little today. This is what I've got. It is a fuel issue possibly an electric issue. I checked the banjo bolt and originally it had a little gas in it but never got anymore. i checked the fuel filter inlet hose and that had some fuel in it but when I ran the pump with the default wire it never pumped anymore. I tested the fuel pump default wire on the drivers side fender. With that i got a click from the relay but the pump never ran. So i'm not getting any gas from the tank/pump. I tried checking the electric at the fuel tank with a not so good gauge and i wasn't getting any response. So my next move is either dropping the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump but before that checking the electric to the fuel pump with a better gauge. My concern is the relay under the dash either giving me a false positive with it clicking. I'm open to suggestions I'm a little stumped but nothing to concerning. Also with the fuel tank, its just the 6 bolts holding on the tank plus the filler hose? I'm planning on tomorrow with a little troubleshooting getting it going even if i have to pull the tank. I really want it to run ha.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Hey Spud,

Just to let you know, my COR was clicking as well, but STILL wouldn't allow the pump to kick on. I reached up in there and it was HOT AS HELL! lol. The relay that is. Replaced it and voila! lol. HOWEVER, I'm not EVEN telling you that it's likely your issue. So, you're saying you 'jumped the fuel pump' connectors, which should let it rip non-stop and NOTHING? You have an EFI motor, ....... sooooo, I was thinking, try, when it's quiet, with the AFM removed from the box, open the flap in there with your finger and the key on(try not to touch the cone sensor).....check to see if you can hear the pump then, k?

Does he have a Fuel Pump relay, guys? This would all make sense, Spud, as you've got spark, air and you're getting NO GO GO! LOL. Yet, with ether, you get firing over. I'd say it's a safe bet that you're fuel pumps not engaging, unless you tested the wrong connectors(which it sounds like you clarified and double checked in the book by YOUR YEAR truck, right?) Read up on this site for throwing power right to the pump, to see if it is even functioning. Doesn't seem logical that it would start and then not the next day, but from everything I've read, Spud, they are FAR more often just 'SUDDENLY CEASING TO WORK', ya know? Not like a relay that can heat up and then start working again some times. Before you pull the tank, do some questioning and reading into 'jumping the pump, directly with 12v', k?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Sound good I will try all tomorrow
Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Fuel pump got it done. Thank you for the suggestions and help. Now its time to clean it up and do the sliders and dual cases
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 PM

WOO HOOOOOO! That's great to hear, Calispud! Have fun with the rest, man.