84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

'85 Diver's side door jam switch/dome light help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021 | 02:55 PM

'85 Diver's side door jam switch/dome light help

Need some help figuring this one out. I just picked up an '85 pickup and am trying to figure some of the small stuff out. The door/key buzzer had been removed and the dome light didn't work. I threw that back in and was hoping everything would start working. No such luck. The buzzer doesn't buzz and an open driver's door doesn't energize the dome light. When I open the passenger door, the dome light comes on. It's just the driver side that doesn't work properly. I'm trying to figure out where the wires run from the door jam switch on the driver side.

On the passenger side the wiring just runs down and out with some speaker wire. Easy as that.

The driver side is a different story. It goes up and I can't feel where it goes. Anyone know where it goes? How far up does it go? Where should I be looking for it? Do I need to take the dash off and look from the top?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 11-24-2021 | 12:09 PM

When I disconnected the buzzer in my 2 87 vehicles, I just pulled the plug from the module that does all the work. It' still in there, just not plugged in. Yes, the buzzer and driver's side dome light don't work, but I did it because the buzzer was friggen annoying, to me. I like to sit in the truck, with the door open, while it warmed up before going to/from work. The buzzer really got to me quickly.
I imagine if I were to get back up in there, it would reconnect easily. Probably need a good cleaning, though. I don't recall the exact location of the module, but IIRC (it's been over 30 years, gimme a break!) it up under the dash, on the passenger side of the steering column.

Is this any help?
Pat☺
Old 11-25-2021 | 02:46 PM

There's bigger problems. I really reached up there and felt there's no wire connected to the back of the driver side door jam switch. Also, something on the passenger side stopped working as the pass door being open no longer turns the dome light on. Gonna have to dig into this deeper on both sides.