84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22re rebuld kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010 | 03:50 PM

22re rebuld kit questions

hey guys, im looking to rebuild my 22re around christmas time, and i just have a few questions. i have a 22re with 223,xxx on the clock on the second timing chain, and i figured while im doing the timing chain (wich is WELL beyond its lifespan) i might as well rebuild. i was wondering if i should do a total overhaul, or if i should just do upper end, and save the lower end for later as to maybe the upper end wears out quicker then the lower end. (probably not, but im just throwing that out there)

i want to get my injectors cleaned, and throw on a new header and exhaust manifold and all the vacuum lines and all that stuff at the same time, but is there some parts i should leave alone, like a crank or cam, or sprockets maybe?

i know when some people rebuild they leave out some parts, so i was wondering if there was a reason for that, or if its just a matter of whats worn or not.

also, im expecting my crankcase to be worn out from the timing chain slapping up against it so do you think i should leave it alone, or just try to fill it in with jb weld or something.

so anyway everybody wish me luck as this will be my first ever toyota rebuld. so it's be greatly appreciated if you could chime in and just kinda throw out what definitly needs to be replaced, or what i should leave alone, or what i should re-use.

and for the record ive heard good things about enginbldr, so ill probably go with them.
Old 11-17-2010 | 06:18 PM

Cool! take lots of photos and document your build

Search for 92TOY's build - he has a great write up.

ENGNBLDR is good - great prices and good quality/great service. I used them for my timing chain job - search "ENGNBLDR FEK" on ebay and you'll find it. He also sells heads, cams, and heads with cams already installed. the FEK comes with a new timing cover so you don't have to worry about the grooves your slap happy chain caused...and it comes with metal guides...woot!

If you do the oil pan, use Toyota FIPG (form in place gasket) from the dealer...it's well worth it.

LCEngineering.com sells some great parts too but they are pricey. I love my LCE header and Pro Flow exhaust system. If you have to choose one, choose the header.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
85gijunk4x4 (11-19-2010)
Old 11-17-2010 | 06:39 PM

What ever you budget for it, multiply it by at least 2.

How ever long you think it will take, multiply it by 2.

Rebuilds always go over budget and run long. Just start buying parts you think you need and start stocking up. There are some parts that should only be bought from the dealer; ie. headgasket, copper crush washers, etc.
Old 11-18-2010 | 06:31 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...Q5fAccessories

This is the kit I am ordering as soon as I get my block back from the shop $289.90 plus $23 shipping from engnbldr. If your going to do half, might as well do it all and not worry about it
Old 11-18-2010 | 07:01 AM

Bull -that's such a great value! Will you be doing a build thread with photos?
Old 11-18-2010 | 10:49 PM

wow.

if i had known about that a couple months ago i could have saved hundreds. damn.
Old 11-19-2010 | 04:21 PM

thank you guys, i think im gonna go with one of those ebay kits, ill look into it more and then see what i think. i plan on taking alot of pictures also, and im going to use a digital camera and one of those ones that you can get developed, ill make sure to keep everything neat and orginized so i dont mix anything up. a few thing i am worried about are honing out the cylinders, (ive never honed a cylinder before so i hope i dont mess up) and re-installing the engine to a mess of wires that i dont know where they go to.

so i think im gonna go total overhaul, and then put the engine back together with all new goodies, like the water pump, starter, and a fuel filter lol.

another question i was wondering too, is how to clean the engine, im guessing its gonna be pretty dirty, so should i get some solvent and clean up the inside and outside of the engine with a brillo or steel wool?

just curious, if i can think of more questions ill post them up, im just hoping it will start when i put it back in...
Old 11-19-2010 | 04:23 PM

yeah, im planning on it, shortly after im done my engine rebuild, ill start looking for a parts truck, so i can frame swap, and get all my body panels, then its time for the lockers, and the tires and all those goodies, so i think ill start a buildup thread!

Originally Posted by Philbert
Bull -that's such a great value! Will you be doing a build thread with photos?
Old 11-19-2010 | 07:51 PM

if you rebuild the top end WITHOUT rebuilding the bottom end at the same time. you will kill the bottom end faster!

if you rebuild them both they will be bomb proof