84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22r problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010 | 04:38 PM

22r problem!!

ive got 85 22r and all of a sudden she started smoking really bad. and of course the performance is gone. not an engine wizard so dont know what to do. only thing ive done was the spark plug wires are new,I know for a fact that i put them on the wright way(one of the old ones was melted to the header so i put the new ones on). all i can see is smoke at pipe and looks like oil is coming out the block close to header.
Old 06-04-2010 | 04:49 PM

what color is the smoke bluish, black or whiteish?
Old 06-04-2010 | 05:11 PM

oooo you dont want the white smoke...
Old 06-04-2010 | 05:15 PM

did u mean the blue(oil)
Old 06-04-2010 | 05:17 PM

Check the oil....look ok?
Check the coolant? look ok?

Smoke coming out tailpipe?
or burning off engine?

report back and we will go from there.
Old 06-04-2010 | 05:41 PM

2 pics of the 4th cylinder rear of engine looks like oil leak???? blue smoke clik on utube theres a vid of it from last week. but id say the smoke has gotten way worse. what should i do???? thanks guys...
Attached Thumbnails 22r problem!!-dsc00095.jpg   22r problem!!-dsc00098.jpg  
Old 06-04-2010 | 05:46 PM

blue is burning oil, can be rings, valve seals, intake manifold gasket, or a head gasket.
Old 06-04-2010 | 05:48 PM

oh and seeing as though it seems worse if you let off the throttle and back on it again my guess is the valve seals.
Old 06-04-2010 | 06:46 PM

it sound alot like a blown head gasket man forsure,, i had the same problem.
Old 06-04-2010 | 06:50 PM

would that cause lost power???
Old 06-05-2010 | 04:20 AM

if there is enough oil going into the cyl's it would cause a plug(s) to misfire regardless of where it is coming from, head gasket or otherwise. Rings would definitely cause low compression and loss of power. That is definitely not water your burning so its not a coolant related head gasket failure. I would do a compression test as well as a leak down test. That would narrow it down to head gasket/valve seals verses rings.

If you don't want to take it to a mechanic all you have to do is get a compression gauge, test the compression the normal way, and then the poor mans leak down and add some oil into the plug hole and retest. If the compression then goes up you know its the rings. If not then it's either headgasket or valves.

I am leaning towards valve seals. Do you also get a puff of blue smoke when you first start it in the morning after it sitting all night?

If you google " blue smoke when lifting throttle " you will get an idea of what it might be.

I couldn't tell by the video since most of the time you were varying your throttle position, but I'd bet if you sat there on the gas at a consistent throttle position, the smoke would actually go away. Which means its only pulling in oil when under minimum load aka high vacuum and the sucking that in when the throttle opens. Usually this is because of oil getting around the valve seals but I have also seen where it was just simply a bad PCV system. But a bad PCV system would not really affect the power of the motor.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 06-05-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2010 | 04:28 AM

ANother way to do a leak down test is if you have an air compressor, get and old or new spark plug doesnt matter, take the spark plug apart at the threads and the ceramic leaving a little bit of the ceramic in place. this will leave a hole from where the tip would be. hose clamp an air line to the ceramic you had left over and screw it into the block. turn your air on 100 psi. THen you can listen to the intake, valve cover, and exhaust for air coming threw. If you hear air in the intake then its either your intake valve(s)/seats (not seals) If you hear a minimal amount of air through the valve cover by taking the oil cap off (not when running cus it will run even more wierd) then its your valve seals. If its alot of air then its your rings. If the air coming from the exhaust then its your exhaust valve(s)/seats.

Forgot to mention you have to be TDC on the compression stroke for each cyl you test, very imprtant.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 06-05-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-05-2010 | 05:16 AM

head gasket doesnt sound to bad, so how hard is it to replace valve seals.
Old 06-05-2010 | 08:46 AM

all right so we did a comp test and #1 cly is 98 #2 110 #3 105 #4 70 i think they should be close to 120-130?????? and the more we looked we came to the conclusion that its water not oil, when u put hand near pipe its a fog/steam on your hand,the spark plug is more wet then oil. so its the head gasket????
Old 06-05-2010 | 09:02 AM

Head Gasket is not that big a deal, nor expensive, but it can be times taking if it's your first. Be sure to follow EVERY detail of the instructions and then, decide if you have enough miles on your timing chain and rails to throw those in as well. BUT, as Xxxtreme says, DO A LEAK DOWN, first, and try the compressed air, because if it's a valve, and you replace the head gasket, ......it's gonna happen again, NOT FUN TIME at that point, lol. If you end up doing a head gasket, might want to check how far your timing cover is worn, if at all, ....because if the chain is wearing on the cover, AT ALL, you might want to kill that bird with the same stone, eh?

Just speaking out of trial and error.....Like Xxxtreme's ideas, and they're NEARLY FREE to check! Go rent a compression tester from o'rielys, it's free, if you don't have one or a friend with one.

Good luck, MyYota, ....been seeing you on here quite a bit, nice to meet you!

Chef
Old 06-05-2010 | 09:03 AM

PS> That compression is pretty bad....and if it's a combination of things, "Rings, HG, Burned or leaking valves", you really want to eliminate all that you can before pulling the head(i.e., the rings through a leak down)
Old 06-05-2010 | 09:11 AM

Sounds like the head gasket or rings or both! There is a tester kit that carquest sells for like 45 bucks that can i.d. combustion gasses in the coolant. But thats only if you have a leak in that area of the head gasket. Has the motor ever been rebuilt that you know of? and to get better compression results try a little oil in the cylinders to see if the numbers change. For my money take the head off and replace the head gasket. While it's off take the head to the machine shop and have it checked out. At this point you'll have two options.

A. the head checks out ok and only needs to be decked or minor fixes. You'll be close to a couple hundred dollars if that's the case. In this case you're good and get it back from the shop and put everything back together.

B. The head's cracked and your into the shop for a whole lot of money. For me at this point i would buckle down and just get a head from engnbldr and be done with it.

This is all provided the bottom end is ok and you golden. Good luck hope this helped. This is what i just went through last week so i feel your pain.
Old 06-05-2010 | 09:14 AM

"Jump timing?" <----Check) If you did the compression correctly and they are accurate that engine is pretty tired. Do you have a vac gauge? Check manifold vac and see what it is. If its not betweem 15-21 then theres and issue. Looks from the picture is that valve cover gasket is leaking onto the manifold causing "smoke"....? From the engine? Or is it coming out the exhaust. Is it cold out side where your at? White smoke with sweet smell indicates coolant(thus possible head/headgasket failure. Black smoke with fuel smell indicates "running rich" or raw fuel in exhaust system. Blue/gray smoke indicates oil. """"Jump timing""""" Check timing and see if it jumped a tooth on the timing chain.
Old 06-05-2010 | 09:56 AM

thanks chef, mighty the engine was rebuilt and bored over a little and a little other stuff but its been 2 years the truck sits mainly but hard use on weekends. did u get yours fixed? kiroshu i dont think it jumped time its hot out maybe 90 in Louisiana, white/blue out exhaust and really wet almost a steam type. i think ill start the head gasket fix gonna read up a bit then work on it next weekend if i were exp mechanic how long 4-6 hours??? thanks guys. just wanted to add that i am not a mechanic at alll.so im gonna double the time.

Last edited by myyota85; 06-05-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2010 | 10:00 AM

Yup took a little while but fixed it on sunday last week. Might wanna check the fuel filter if it sits with the same gas from time to time. Might want to consider seafoaming it as well to knock out the small stuff first before it's all doom and gloom head gasket time.

Quick Reply: 22r problem!!