84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22R oil weight and filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021 | 07:52 AM

22R oil weight and filter?

First, I'm wondering what filter to get. I'm seeing some conflicting info. I want a genuine Toyota filter, just which one? Here's why I want to go with Toyota brand. Here's another good write up on filters. Now which filter goes on my 22R? Low Range recommends the 90915-YZZG1 for the 22R and 22RE. One weird thing about that is their SKU is 90915-YZZG2. I tried to get a filter off Amazon and didn't come up with anything. The filter they have is the 90915-YZZD1. Here's comments in the questions section regarding the 22R:

Customer questions & answers

Q: Does this fit Toyota pickup 22r 2.4 ?
A: Yes
By Amazon Customer on April 30, 2018 See other answers

Q: Will this fit a 2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6?
A: It depends on which engine your truck has. This Filter Fits Toyota Engines: 1MZFE 22R 22RE 2JZ#2TZFE 2TZFZE 3VZFE 3SGTE 3RZFE 3VZE 5VZFE, 2TRFE
By Preston Porter on March 17, 2014

Does anyone know the difference between the
90915-YZZG1 that Low Range recommends and the 90915-YZZD1 that's available on Amazon?

Next, this may be like asking Coke or Pepsi but, what weight oil is everyone running in their 22R? From the looking I've done, I've seen a lot of people running 10w-30 or 10w-40. Here 5w-30 and 10w-30 are recommended. I'm in western WA and the temps don't ever get real low. It'll get down to freezing during the winter but, not for long and not bitter freezing temps. Let's hear some pros and cons.

Thanks

Last edited by Baller; 12-22-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2021 | 09:12 AM

I buy 90915-YZZD3 filters for my 22RE. Buy them from ToyotaPartsDeal.com or your local dealer, sometimes stuff on Amazon or eBay is counterfeit. The dealer will sometimes give a discount for buying 10 at a time (they come in cases of 10). They are under $4 each.

The 22RE has no special sensors or oil activated solenoids. Any oil will keep it healthy. Some people like oil with more ZDDP (zinc) to lubricate the flat tappets. This is important during break-in but once the cam and rockers are bedded in the need is debatable. Buy the viscosity oil that your owner's manual says for the temperature you live in. In reality, it doesn't matter much.
The following users liked this post:
Damion812 (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021 | 09:54 AM

I just found this. Seems like the G1, G2 and D1 are all the same?

Also, like arlindsay1992 is saying, this looks like the D3 will also work. It's got greater filtration area.
Old 12-22-2021 | 10:13 AM

I'm sure they're all fine, but the larger area is the reason I run the D3.

Makes sense to me the old girl would like the big D.
Old 12-22-2021 | 05:07 PM

In my 2 87s, I run Castrol Syntec Long Life 10W30, and, up until I read through that "Oil Guy" analysis of the various oil filters, I used the Purolator Pur One filter. PN: 300001 Those 22R engines can take a huge oil filter. When I lived in Yuma, Az, I was told the bigger the better, as it helps cool the oil a bit. In Yuma, ANY cooling is a really big benefit. I started out with a Fram PH8A filter, but then I read an analysis about some various filters, NOT including the Toyota filters, strangely, and it turned out the Fram filter media doth sucketh. But that the Purolator was about the best available. This was all 20+ years ago. Maybe Toyota didn't have the super filters they do now, I dunno. No, it wasn't an analysis done by Purolator.

The reason I use the Castrol Syntec is that I tried it in a Kawasaki Police bike I picked up. 75, 4 cylinder. NICE bike. Anyway, I was in a Memorial Day Parade, there in Yuma. Nice, spring day, only 105° F or so. Anywho, things were moving so slowly, there were a bunch of us air cooled types that were getting real worried about overheating. We started doing fancy patterns and stuff around the central float, trying to cool the engines. I was sure that once I got home, I'd smell burnt engine all over. I pulled the dipstick, and the oil was still in perfect shape. Clean, clear, no smell of burning or anything. THAT determined me to use the Castrol Syntec in all my vehicles! It must have been a good choice, the two 87s are still in amazingly good shape for their age.

Once I read the analysis by The Oil Guy...Rob? Anyway, I determined that next oil change, EVERYone would get the YZZD3 filter. In the 99, I plan on using the Castrol Syntec Long Life 5W30 they call for in the book. We bought a case of filters already.

Just my 2 pfennigs worth...
Pat☺
Old 12-23-2021 | 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
In my 2 87s, I run Castrol Syntec Long Life 10W30, and, up until I read through that "Oil Guy" analysis of the various oil filters, I used the Purolator Pur One filter. PN: 300001 Those 22R engines can take a huge oil filter. When I lived in Yuma, Az, I was told the bigger the better, as it helps cool the oil a bit. In Yuma, ANY cooling is a really big benefit. I started out with a Fram PH8A filter, but then I read an analysis about some various filters, NOT including the Toyota filters, strangely, and it turned out the Fram filter media doth sucketh. But that the Purolator was about the best available. This was all 20+ years ago. Maybe Toyota didn't have the super filters they do now, I dunno. No, it wasn't an analysis done by Purolator.

The reason I use the Castrol Syntec is that I tried it in a Kawasaki Police bike I picked up. 75, 4 cylinder. NICE bike. Anyway, I was in a Memorial Day Parade, there in Yuma. Nice, spring day, only 105° F or so. Anywho, things were moving so slowly, there were a bunch of us air cooled types that were getting real worried about overheating. We started doing fancy patterns and stuff around the central float, trying to cool the engines. I was sure that once I got home, I'd smell burnt engine all over. I pulled the dipstick, and the oil was still in perfect shape. Clean, clear, no smell of burning or anything. THAT determined me to use the Castrol Syntec in all my vehicles! It must have been a good choice, the two 87s are still in amazingly good shape for their age.

Once I read the analysis by The Oil Guy...Rob? Anyway, I determined that next oil change, EVERYone would get the YZZD3 filter. In the 99, I plan on using the Castrol Syntec Long Life 5W30 they call for in the book. We bought a case of filters already.

Just my 2 pfennigs worth...
Pat☺

i switched to the YZZD3 recently too. I think I saw you mentioned them somewhere. Conveniently this is the filter called for for the FJ also , two birds one stone that way!
The following users liked this post:
2ToyGuy (12-23-2021)