84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22r excessive cam wear: opinions on stupid cheap rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r excessive cam wear: opinions on stupid cheap rebuild

Well i took a chance and picked up a 22r assembled for 100 bux, it wasn't rusted up and siezed so it already had an advantage over the motor in my crawler. Tore it apart and the cam had some wicked wear on two lobes and the rocker arms, it was burning oil in two cylinders, same two cylinders have pistons that have wiggle room in the cylinders, BUT it has a dual row timing chain, the chain guides look perfect, the cylinder walls are in great shape and the block deck and head surface aren't warped.

Here's what i'm doing while trying to keep this rebuild as cheap as possible:
I gently scrubbed off all the surface rust on the lobes off the "good" cam from my rusty motor with scoth bright
Polish cam
New piston rings
New rod bearings
new valve seals
i'm going to do a leak down test tonight and lap whatever vavles don't seal.
New h20 pump
New head gasket
Clean as much of the carbon build up off the head ports, valves, pistons and combustion chambers with... carb cleaner? anything faster and more effective?
Any other must do's when tearing a motor down? This isn't a go fast rig so i'm not concerned about getting more power out of this hampster motor, good compression and not burning are all i'm going for.

Just trying to track down what causes this wicked cam wear so it doesn't happen again, non adjusted valves? Oil starvation...? It only happened to the two lobes at #2 cylinder.

The siezed 85 motor has pear shaped exhuast ports, i'd like to use the exhuast header that was bolted to this as its brand new. Can i use a 85 ex header on the pre 85 head?

Just to kill my curiosity, How can i tell which cam i have?

Thanks to a buddy i now have a stand and hoist now so i don't have to do this again...

Thanks for any imput

Last edited by 87xjmike; 12-12-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oven cleaner works pretty well to get that carbon off. Apparently you can't let it sit too long or it can eat away at the aluminum...I left it on over night and it was fine though. Another way you can do it (haven't tried myself) is to put the pistons in an oven then pull them out and spray then with a spray bottle and the carbon will blast off.