84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1985 4runner new heater core wrong one

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014 | 06:12 PM

1985 4runner new heater core wrong one

I have an 85 4runner 22re w56 w/o factory rear heat. Heater core started fogging up my windows yesterday, so i tore it down last night. All the auto parts stores here list the same heater core. Well heres the issue, its the wrong size, and the pipes on it are too short to line up to the holes in my firewall.
link to a pic of the issue

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ywj5qqmzf...G0531.jpg?dl=0

I called my local toyota dealer, gave them my VIN, and they say that my heater core isn't made anymore and if they have to outsource it, it will be 700 with tax. Thats just the core not installation.. Insane. If i can't find the right core, im pulling the whole heater box out and going aftermarket summit 40k btu and just plumb it into my stock defrost vents. Anyone know why the hell my core is completely different than anything ive seen online...
Any help is greatly appreciated. Its getting below freezing at night, and i like my feet to be toasty while driving.

Last edited by rworegon; 11-20-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2014 | 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

What is the dimensions of the old core? Does it appear that the tubes on the old core are removable?

Did you compare your core to a new one w/ rear heat?
Old 11-20-2014 | 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
What is the dimensions of the old core? Does it appear that the tubes on the old core are removable?

Did you compare your core to a new one w/ rear heat?
8 x 6.5 core size. the tubes on the old one are removalable, the new one isn't. the new one wouldnt fit in the heater box. we compared it to one for a runner with rear heat, and way smaller size, would rattle around in the box. plus my old tubes are one of the spots thats leaking in the first place.
Old 11-20-2014 | 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Go to Rockauto and take a look. It appears your front core size may be closer to the one that has rear heat and is set-up for the removable tubes, Toyota P/N 87107-89111 possibly.

You may need to talk to a local radiator repair shop and see if they can fix the tubes.

This looks more like yours, correct?
http://utoyot8.com/FullImage.aspx?cc...nfo=(8308-++++)

From what I can tell by googling, the pipes are intended to be reused with O-rings and clamps. Does this ring true?

Last edited by rworegon; 11-20-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2014 | 07:11 PM

I had a similar experience when I tried to replace mine. I wound up cleaning the old one out with CLR to remove deposits and replaced the two o-rings on the in and out lines.
Old 11-20-2014 | 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
I had a similar experience when I tried to replace mine. I wound up cleaning the old one out with CLR to remove deposits and replaced the two o-rings on the in and out lines.
What orings did you use exactly. Isn't exactly a job i want to repeat anytime soon.
Old 11-20-2014 | 07:16 PM

Go to Rockauto and take a look. It appears your front core size may be closer to the one that has rear heat and is set-up for the removable tubes, Toyota P/N 87107-89111 possibly.

You may need to talk to a local radiator repair shop and see if they can fix the tubes.

This looks more like yours, correct?
http://utoyot8.com/FullImage.aspx?cc...nfo=(8308-++++)

From what I can tell by googling, the pipes are intended to be reused with O-rings and clamps. Does this ring true?
yes.. i know more than just my orings are leaking. Now to figure out what orings to use and whether the clamps themselves are reusable... why cant this job be easy like on my 75 plymouth lol. the 89111 is a # that the idiot at the toyota counter gave, and when i asked for the rest of the part number.. the 87107, he was completely clueless.. Im super nervous on those o-rings leaking... cant find any specs on the 32040 one.. which having my luck is the correct one lol.
Old 11-20-2014 | 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

The clamps are available from Toyota....
http://www.toyomotorparts.com/Page_P...2261,2262,2263

The heater core is in the Electrical section of the EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog). The O-ring are shown but not listed with a P/N strangely enough.

muddpigg's old thread with o-ring size info:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...g-size-225432/

Last edited by rworegon; 11-20-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2014 | 07:55 PM

you guys are great.. going to pick up the smaller alum one tomorrow on the way home from work.. along with some viton orings.. going to try to reuse my old clamps and then buy stuff for a backup sealing method http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/heat...p-seal.750896/ along those lines listed there.. now to source some type of foam that can take 180 degree heat to take up the extra space in the heater box without stinking up my 4runner when i use the heater.
Old 11-23-2014 | 05:28 PM

Hey y0da,

I am coincidentally in the process of selecting a heater core myself. a week ago my passenger side windows started fogging up and my vents started blowing fruity smelling humid air lol.

I am not mechanically inclined and an all in one core+tubes kit that will poke through the firewall for a simple connection in the engine bay sounds VERY appealing. Orings, clamps and leaks scare me. But after seeing what youre going through i am now very hesitant!!!

Here is one on ebay that is the correct dimensions 8.5x6.5 with foam ready to go, but I wonder about the tube length and curvature......can you even bend these tubes if they dont line up with the firewall holes correctly?????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180409709921?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
How long from end to end are your tubes after they leave the core?

I am going to ask this vendor the same question and see if they will line up.

Thanks y0da, please continue to post about your trials and tribulations with this project!!
Old 11-23-2014 | 05:32 PM

The clamps are available from Toyota....
http://www.toyomotorparts.com/Page_P...2261,2262,2263

The heater core is in the Electrical section of the EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog). The O-ring are shown but not listed with a P/N strangely enough.

muddpigg's old thread with o-ring size info:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...g-size-225432/
I totally forgot I posted that. Three years out of the loop i guess.
Old 11-23-2014 | 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BrokenWindow
Hey y0da,

I am coincidentally in the process of selecting a heater core myself. a week ago my passenger side windows started fogging up and my vents started blowing fruity smelling humid air lol.

I am not mechanically inclined and an all in one core+tubes kit that will poke through the firewall for a simple connection in the engine bay sounds VERY appealing. Orings, clamps and leaks scare me. But after seeing what youre going through i am now very hesitant!!!

Here is one on ebay that is the correct dimensions 8.5x6.5 with foam ready to go, but I wonder about the tube length and curvature......can you even bend these tubes if they dont line up with the firewall holes correctly?????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180409709921?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
How long from end to end are your tubes after they leave the core?

I am going to ask this vendor the same question and see if they will line up.

Thanks y0da, please continue to post about your trials and tribulations with this project!!
My tubes were longer than that core you listed. Not saying that yours are like mine but no way to know for sure until you get into the dash a bit. Those tubes you'll just kink trying to bend them. I wound up buying the core for a 4 runner that was equipped with rear heat. 9/16 ID 1/16th silicone o rings worked well. I reused my original clamps for the flange. I had to clean all the surfaces with scotch brite and then I pressure tested it to 15psi for 30 minutes prior to installing. Seal glide was also used to assist in installing the o rings without damaging them. Let me know off you have any other questions always willing to help. My runner is back up and running and I drove it to work today
Old 11-23-2014 | 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

y0da, great to see you got it all back together! Glad the w/ rear heater core is what you needed.

Last edited by rworegon; 11-23-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2014 | 06:21 PM

y0da, great to see you got it all back together! Glad the w/ rear heater core is what you needed.
Thanks.. only carnage was chipping off a corner of the passenger heater vent, but I found the piece and glued out back together. The flanges on the new core were bent out of the box so a little time with a pair of pliers fixed that. So since there are two different core styles out there.. with different lines, one would think that they would go through the firewall in different spots.might be able to tell which core you have prior to pulling your dash.
Old 11-23-2014 | 06:50 PM

So the two options are the 8.5 x 6.5 which is 'suppose' to be for front heating vehicles only

or the size core for rear heated vehicles, which was what you pulled out of your rig?

What size was your original core that you took out of your 4runner???
Old 11-23-2014 | 06:52 PM

I pulled the big one out with the detachable pipes.. I bought the smaller one used foam weather stripping to make up the difference in size for a snug fit.
Old 11-23-2014 | 06:55 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ywj5qqmzfbukp7/IMAG0531.jpg?dl=0 the one on the left is my old one. The one on the right is supposedly the one that should fit my 4runner but as you can see the pipes are way different
Old 11-23-2014 | 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The first 4 post on this thread will make getting the core out a little easier for you>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...4-88-a-278925/

A little more info for the heater core. The pipes connecting to the core, I have always had to reuse. Be careful when taking off the c-clips and when installing make sure it is a good tight fit. >> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52002149

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-23-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2014 | 07:04 PM

Goodgrief.

Well next chance i get im going to measure the distance between the pipe as they exit the firewall and ask vendors if even that measurement is at least the same. Course that might not mean anything if the pipes are to short and arent contoured correctly like what happened to you......

if all else fails and i will have to re-use the old pipes, thank you for posting what size o-rings worked though, i will have those ready to go!
Old 11-23-2014 | 07:06 PM

Took me longer to find the part I could make work than it did to install it. Is not hard, take your time, I labeled every screw and taped it to the part it went to for easy reassembly.

Quick Reply: 1985 4runner new heater core wrong one