Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Telling the Difference Betwixt Beds

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Telling the Difference Betwixt Beds

Hello all.

I have heard on here that the Toyota pickup could come with either a Japanese or a US made bed. Previously I thought the difference between the two was that a US made bed came with a center-latch tailgate and the Japanese version had two side latches, but after reading for a while it seems to me that this isn't the case for 1983.

I have heard the term "detachable lower panels" and I have no idea what that means. I have heard that the difference between the two in 1983 is that the US version has said "detachable lower panels," and the Japanese versions do not.

What the hell does this mean?

Last edited by Johnsoline; 02-14-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would imagine it means that the panels below the bed surface, and in front of (and maybe behind) the rear wheels, are removable. Why, I have no idea.

The Chicken Tax resulted in all (to my knowledge) Toyota pickups coming from Japan without their bed, which classified them as cab/chassis instead of pickups, for tariff purposes. The beds were installed by some outfit in California. Both twin-latch and single-handle styles were available; I believe the former was a base option and the latter an upgrade.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 282 Likes on 191 Posts
beds on this generation (79-88) were mostly built in the US and installed there as well . because of import laws .

the original TOYOTA factory bed , shipped to the rest of the world , has a fuel filler door that has a lock and key , as seen on most of the 2WD's in the US (I think ? ) . Every other part of the world had a locking fuel door . tail gate is not the DE terminating factor .

The "detaching lower panel" is reference to the lower skirts .
The sides of these beds are built as part of the bed and floor .... upper sections are all spot welded to the floor panels and the wheel wells . Then the lower sections are spot welded up to the floor of the bed .

This is why they are not feasible to repair ... in some parts where the cross members meet the lower skirts and wheel tubs , there are 3 - 4 layers of metal .

if you were to repair this properly , you would need to completely dismantle the whole bed and go from there