Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Stock fender flare prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 01:16 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Stock fender flare prices

What’s reasonable pricing for excellent shape stock rear fender flares? One of mine is torn pretty bad so I set out in search of a set. I found a set that are like new and haven’t been on a truck in over 25 years but the price is $400. That seems really expensive to me. From what I have read that is about right for that condition. Am I wrong thinking that is way overpriced?
Old 04-03-2020, 09:01 PM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
No, you are not wrong. Just keep looking...
Old 04-05-2020, 11:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The price for this old Toyota truck stuff is whatever the seller can get. Body parts (like those flares) and interior bits are the worst. I wanted a better brown dash pad than the one in my truck. So I find one on eBay that wasn't cracked. Prices was $400 plus shipping. And on it goes.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by rickc5
The price for this old Toyota truck stuff is whatever the seller can get. Body parts (like those flares) and interior bits are the worst. I wanted a better brown dash pad than the one in my truck. So I find one on eBay that wasn't cracked. Prices was $400 plus shipping. And on it goes.
you are right, these parts are commanding a high price and it will only get worse. I have found a like new set of flares. I wish I knew how I could get someone to copy them to reproduce them. I would think they would sell fairly well
Old 04-05-2020, 12:11 PM

Here’s some pics of the flares I just bought. They would make a good set to use as a template to mass produce them for the benefit of us all.

The following users liked this post:
swampedout (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 06:28 PM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
Well these are 40 yr old trucks at this point so stuff like that wont be cheap...
...unless there is a hi quality aftermarket option.
if you have the tools and talent, you could make some money on stuff like this.
i was looking up bushwhacker flares and their abt 400 for a set of 4. I had to cross that off my wishlist

Old 04-05-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by swampedout
Well these are 40 yr old trucks at this point so stuff like that wont be cheap...
...unless there is a hi quality aftermarket option.
if you have the tools and talent, you could make some money on stuff like this.
i was looking up bushwhacker flares and their abt 400 for a set of 4. I had to cross that off my wishlist
no one makes the stock rear fender flares. It would be nice to have a lot of these parts produced again.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Groundpounder17
no one makes the stock rear fender flares. It would be nice to have a lot of these parts produced again.
Before you go any further, you have to assess the demand for flares. You have two things going against you: 1) how many of these 4x4 trucks are still out there AND need new flares. 2) how many owners of these trucks would be willing to spend ANYTHING for flares. Somehow, I don't believe there would be much demand, as most of these gen 1 4x4s have truly vanished from the countryside.

Then, how much would it cost to reproduce the flares? Might be a boatload? The ROI might be zero or less than zero.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:15 AM

That was my concern was demand. I wish we had the demand to get parts produced again. I wouldn’t want to do it to make money but instead to get parts available. I think part of these trucks vanishing is the lack of parts to repair them
Old 04-07-2020, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Groundpounder17
That was my concern was demand. I wish we had the demand to get parts produced again. I wouldn’t want to do it to make money but instead to get parts available. I think part of these trucks vanishing is the lack of parts to repair them
No doubt that a lack of affordable parts really keeps folks from fixing up these old trucks. While popular among Toyota fans, these trucks aren't nearly popular enough to warrant parts suppliers creating new spare parts. Definitely not like old Ford and Chevy trucks. Plus, there simply aren't many of these trucks around anymore. IMHO, you were very lucky to find one that was acceptable to you. It took me two years to find one, plus another two years to get it fixed up so it was acceptable to me. When I was all finished with it, I still felt uncomfortable in that cramped cab whenever I drove it. It was fun, it started every time, it ran great, but I don't miss it.

Last edited by rickc5; 04-07-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Groundpounder17 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 06:03 AM

There is definately demand for flares, especially now that these trucks are collectors items that people are spending bucks on to return to pristine condition.
ten or fifteen years ago, the market for these trucks was ppl buying to wheel them, cut them up and mod them heavy. Now ppl want retro 4x4 trucks to cruise the streets and do a little off roading but dont want to scratch the paint.
how much interest is the question?
and how much would you gave to charge to make it worthwhile?
look at slacker who does toyota fiberglass, hes always booked reqlly far out with orders. His stuff is expensive but people love it. For a quality product, you will always find buyers. Start with flares and grow a business from there. Its totally possible, especially since you have shop experience.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Received 282 Likes on 191 Posts
not enough demand .. and my shop is not a good example . I have a real difficult time finding help ! this job is a "messy" job .. there is no sitting at a desk programing robots , its all hand built stuff , down and dirty . NOBODY seems to want to work anymore . I even relocated my shop late last year to a new city , where I'm hoping I can find the help I need ... Yes , im busy , and I do have a demand ... but its only because I don't have the bodies I need , and people are willing to wait . IF I had just a couple more people , I certainly wouldn't have this demand .
now .. that being said rickc5 is correct . I have been in this business a long time , and (general statement) " Toyota people are cheep ! " there are a few whom are spending the money to restore trucks , and even few more who are not replacing parts , but repairing them . It is not like the muscle car/hot rod market .. there just aren't enough people to support it .
in my business .. costs are huge , a lot more then in the old days .. my raw materials have increased 100% in price just over the last 8-10 years .
I just finished building the moulds for our pocket flares .. $600.00 for the set .. and people are calling me a rip off artist .. I have had many people tell me I should be selling beds for $500.00 .. because its more then there truck cost ! .. lots of people , not just 1 or 2 calling my products a rip off ! not to many people know .. back in the /80s a bare steel boxes were over 4K .. look at the price in /95 ish V .
cost of moulds is the large expense .. just for instance .. a set of bed sides ~ 10K .. as a business , takes many years to be able to justify this expense , and you need the sales to justify the costs , or your just not going to be in business long ..

The following 3 users liked this post by slacker:
Groundpounder17 (04-08-2020), old87yota (04-08-2020), swampedout (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 08:15 AM

Well I cant argue with that. Im sorry so many people have a problem with your prices. Im not surprised some toyota ppl are cheap bc Im one of them. But if you cant afford something, you just cant afford it. I cant buy a maybach benz but i wouldnt call the deqlership a ripoff artist bc I dont have the money. I think ppl watch too many off these haggling reality shows.

With that said though, slacker, youre still "the guy" when it comes to aftrrmarket body panels for these trucks so I hope you keep on trucking!
old87yota (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by swampedout
Well I cant argue with that. Im sorry so many people have a problem with your prices. Im not surprised some toyota ppl are cheap bc Im one of them. But if you cant afford something, you just cant afford it. I cant buy a maybach benz but i wouldnt call the deqlership a ripoff artist bc I dont have the money. I think ppl watch too many off these haggling reality shows.
With that said though, slacker, youre still "the guy" when it comes to aftrrmarket body panels for these trucks so I hope you keep on trucking!
In addition, after you've spent multiple thousands of dollars restoring/fixing/repairing an older truck, then try to sell it for what you have in it. I'm only talking about parts cost, NOT your labor (of love). Good luck with that. I almost broke even when I sold my '83. Almost, but I still took a loss. Most "potential" buyers were making offers that were about what I paid for the truck BEFORE I did all the work on it. Of course, restoring most average vehicles MUST be a labor of love, cuz the ROI on these projects is less than zero.
The following 2 users liked this post by rickc5:
Groundpounder17 (04-08-2020), swampedout (04-07-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 04:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree...when you build up one of these trucks you better be prepared to pass it down to the kids....most people want to offer you what the suspension cost excluding shipping....lol.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I am in the process of re-storing my dads 82 4x4. Trying to find parts is frustrating, someone stole a bunch of parts from it over time. as it has sat in his barn for the last 20 years. I have managed to find parts here and there but its in-sane what they want for them. But, like mentioned above, if I need it or want it and I am willing to shell out the coin for it then the prices will only continue at these prices or go up as the supply and demand increase. So far, I have about $1500 in the re-store, mainly tires, battery, various parts here and there. I do plan on passing it down to my son in the future!