Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Steering Grinding / Play / Thunk in Wheel Turning

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Grinding / Play / Thunk in Wheel Turning

Steering column area
Hi first thanks for any of your feedback.

I’m trying to figure out if I need a new Gearbox, Idler Arm, Pitman Arm, Steering Coupler, etc - Basically what to resolve FIRST.

Backstory:
About 2 years ago, 245K miles: My ‘82 Toyota 4x4 straight axle made a noticeable “thunk” sound & I could feel it through steering wheel on a MODERATE full-turn to the LEFT, while applying gas (5mph approx).

I tried to repeat issue turning right, but it doesn’t happen. I just decided to not turn too hard and have been driving it w/o major issues since.

As well, it would only happen if I turned sharply to the LEFT, while giving any gas. If just rolling, it doesn’t seem to occur.

Recently (256K ODO), while turning in a neighborhood culdesac, I noticed that it’s beginning to have a “grinding feel” and sometimes sound, again, only while turning LEFT, and giving gas. If just rolling slow or changing lanes to the left, no sound or grinding.

When I say grinding, it’s not “super bad,” it’s real subtle, but definitely something like metal-to-metal contact.

I noticed that also, when parked but ENGINE RUNNING, the wheel makes a “click” type sound when I slightly turn it an inch or more THAN RELEASE (when it’s returning to rest). Like two pieces of metal are “ticking” when they slightly hit each other).

Notes / Other Details:
▶️ I’ve noticed since first day (200K) that if I hold the wheel straight 12 o’clock on a straightaway, it will veer very slowly (I think to left), but if I don’t touch wheel, it stays straight.
▶️ The wheel will sit “off center” a little, while still going straight.
▶️ STOCK Steering Gearbox to best of knowledge
▶️ I haven’t used jack stands & friend to observe wheel & gear box etc YET
▶️ All components are original to the best of my knowledge
▶️ When I got my truck it did have a Power Steering whine that I fixed by changing hose and filling reservoir up - Never had an issue since but wondered if a gear box issue could have resulted over time w Previous Owner.
▶️ Mines the “U-Joint Looking” steering column (NOT RAG JOINT).
▶️ Grease is definitely leaking from the column Coupler but this is the first time I’m paying attention to it
▶️ Bushings on Steering underbelly “don’t appear” bad (no obvious cracked or blown-through rubber) but I don’t know if that actually means they’re not worn out.

Ok thanks for any advice whatsoever in where you think I should begin diagnosing and/or parts I should be saving up $$$ to get so I can fix this! Wishing you a great day!

Steering Column u-joint style coupler up close

Steering Column u-joint style coupler

The following users liked this post:
swampedout (08-23-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 10:44 AM

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts
First off, get a buddy and check all your front end parts, steering and suspension. Check for play in the steering column shaft/u-joints.
Also check your steering stop bolts on the back side of the knuckles, if one or more is missing it could explain some of your noises (turning too far and the birfield joint is binding.
your steering wheel is off center from your description and (if I remember right) it's super simple to fix and needs no alignment.
Don't bother if you have loose parts, replace those first and then get an alignment, but to center the steering wheel you adjust the length of the rod between the steering box and the left front knuckle.
Chase the steering wheel, if it's off center to the left make the wheels turn to the left if it's off to the right (I guess it is from your description) then lengthening the rod will turn the wheels to the right.
If there is no adjustment on that rod your only option to center the steering wheel is to remove it and reinstall it a tooth one way or the other.
The following users liked this post:
swampedout (08-23-2020)