Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Spring packs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007 | 02:07 PM

Spring packs.

Thinking about modifying my spring packs while I have the truck apart again. Im running Procomp 4" lift springs on all 4 corners, no sway bar, no torque arm and ES3000 shocks, it all came with my truck when I bought it so I threw it all in. The springs are too stiff, ride really rough and they dont flex very well. Im only running 33's so running rears up front wouldn't really help the approach angle too much and im not too concerned about approach angle anyway, its fine how it is and I dont want to have to order a new pitman arm for my IFS box, build a new driveshaft, buy/build boomerrang shackles and move the shock hoops etc, its alot more work than I want to do right now. The front Procomp packs consist of 3 thick leaves with some heavy duty (compared to stock) clamps, I bent those up to help the leaves move around a little better but it didn't really help, got a little more droop.. nothing spectacular, still ride horrible(I wasnt surprised). Im thinking about cutting down some leaves from a spare set of 51" rears I have around and using them instead, but im not sure the thinner leaves will help to much, im thinking of running the Procomp main leaf which is pretty thick with 4 stock rear leaves underneath or something like that, just wondering if theres any logic to that and if it would help at all.. I think the main problem is the procomp main leaf is the same length as stock fronts and the shackle is verticle when the truck is sitting level. I also noticed they are sagging a bit compared to the rear so it sits high in the rear which is annoying.

The rears are a different story, they are also pretty short but I moved the shackle hanger forward a couple inches so the shackle angle isn't inverted like it was before, that helped TONS, but now I notice that under full flex the shackle flattens right out till it hits the frame, damn U shaped springs.

Real question is, anyone on hear ever modify a set of Procomp or similar lift springs?

Im moving the rear axle forward 10" to achieve a 102" Wheelbase, which puts the spring right under the flat part of the frame which.. unless I get frenched hangers will lift the rear of the truck another 1.5" so I have no problem going a little taller in the front, But I was wondering if it would be wise to pull a leaf from each rear pack so they sag down a bit, but I dont want to risk snapping the main leaves..

Also, What are some other setups besides lift springs, We all know Chevy rears with blocks, Rears up front and Ford F150 rears but any one running any other leaf packs on the cheap? Ive also heard of Wagoneer front leafs being the same length as a toyota front...

Last edited by Island_Yota; 12-15-2007 at 02:11 PM.