Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

spark help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007 | 03:47 PM

spark help

i need someone that has a 83 toyota or at least a truck with a 22r that is near san luis obispo. i lost spark on my trip back home to sacramento in paso robles and my truck has been in there since friday night. ive tried many things but cant seem to figure out my problem. replaced distributor because it was bad but didnt do the trick, i tested my coil and it tested good then ended up buying a new one anyways to make sure it wasnt my problem, and i also got a ignitor from the junkyard put it in and it still didnt fix it. ive tested all the wires leading to and from my ignitor for breaks and still havent found my problem. so what im thinking about doing is maybe swaping an ignitor or a ecu from a running truck to see where my problem is. this shouldnt take to long and would help me out greatly. if i cant find someone to help me this way maybe someone could at least come up and give me some pointers on what else could have gone wrong. thanks for reading my incredibly long post, and i hope i can find someone that can help me, scott.
Old 02-21-2007 | 04:06 PM

Have you checked your fuses , the fuses sometimes lose there contact in the holder . Just a thought
Old 02-21-2007 | 04:09 PM

opps thought i put everything yes i checked the fuses visually and tested them with the ohm meter. thanks for the idea though.
Old 02-21-2007 | 04:38 PM

Are you positive that your not getting spark ?, did you pull a plug and ground it while someone turned the engine over to verify that you arn`t getting spark ?. try pouring a little gas down the carb and see if your truck trys to start, the carb on your truck is for the most part just like the one on my 85, when i got my truck it wouldn`t run with the stock carb, i found that the fuel cut solenoid had gone bad, if that solenoid goes bad it will shut the fuel flow off inside the carb, replaced it and rebuilt the carb and my truck runs perfect.
Old 02-21-2007 | 05:55 PM

ya i did pull the coil wire and put it about a 1/4 to an 1/8 of an inch from the block while my friend cranked it over and it didnt gap the distance. plus i pulled the fuel line that goes to my carb and watched the gas flow out as my friend gave it gas and cranked it over that was after I cleaned the fuel filter. my problem is spark for sure. thanks for the reply though.
Old 02-21-2007 | 07:27 PM

Ok, im trying to think of what else that it could be, you said that you got an ignitor from a junk yard, its possible that it could be bad, im not sure if there is a way to test an ignitor to see if its good or bad ?, have you checked to see if your getting power to the ignitor/coil ?. other than that, i don`t know.
Old 02-22-2007 | 03:34 PM

ill be getting another ingiter from a yotatech member this weekend to eliminate the chance that the one the junkyard gave me was bad. i checked if there is a way to test to see if the ignitor was bad and the dealership said they could test it but the test isnt very conclusive (even if it tests good it could still be bad). so that doesnt really help me. its the same situation with the ecu they cant really test it for sure good or bad. so now its pretty much just gambleing with what part it might be. yes i am getting power to the ignitor from the ignition and there is no break in the wire that runs from the ecu to the ignitor.

OH i just got an idea maybe im not getting enough volts from the ignition to the ignitor, i mean i tested it with a test light to see if it was hot but i never hooked up my voltmeter to see how hot it was.....mmmm. well ill do that next time i make it up to my truck, hopefully with the new ignitor in my hand.

Originally Posted by myyota
Ok, im trying to think of what else that it could be, you said that you got an ignitor from a junk yard, its possible that it could be bad, im not sure if there is a way to test an ignitor to see if its good or bad ?, have you checked to see if your getting power to the ignitor/coil ?. other than that, i don`t know.
Old 03-02-2007 | 08:36 PM

is the battery fully charged? sometimes it is the stupid ลลลล. If the battery is toast and it happened while you were driving, then the alternator is probably shot to.
Old 03-02-2007 | 08:39 PM

It could also be bad plug wires, or plugs
Old 03-02-2007 | 09:14 PM

spark help

It's been a long time since i hot wired a car/truck but if i remember wright.so you can at least get it to run an get it home. Run a hot wire from the +pos side of the batt to the +pos side of the coil an key start it( could be the - neg side of coil.someone help me out if i'm wrong" BUT MAKE SURE TO TAKE IT OFF WHEN YOU TURN TRUCK OFF" (((Only do this if your not getting spark to the coil))).. i would try the other ideas first.