Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Smog exemtion for 83 and older in cal.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smog exemtion for 83 and older in cal.

There's a bill for exempting smog for california 1983 and older vehicles that I feel a few people here would like to see pass (including myself). It's AB210. yall can look it up or I can ad a link if people are interested.
The following users liked this post:
Mwhite49 (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Smog exemption

I hope they pass this. It's getting hard to find any parts for these older one. Mine is a 82 4x4. I just got the new engine in. Now if this passes I can put any make of header on it. I wonder when they will vote on it.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for posting this rollem! I think they tried to pass something similar some years back. While I also want this to pass, I just looked it over and, if I'm reading this correctly, it would only apply to "vehicles manufactured PRIOR to the 1983 model year". Which unfortunately would mean that folks like myself with 1983 models would be outta luck. Still a step in the right direction though! If this passes maybe I'll just have to get an 82.

Thanks again,

Sam
rollem (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I moved out of Cali a couple years ago due to multiple reason SMOG being one of them. Thankfully I had a property in a SMOG free county but after that burned to the ground it was the final straw. Don't think any of my cars would have had a problem passing the SMOG sniffer wise but visually would have failed... What a joke. I wish ya'll Californians luck as it was always a PITA to find SMOG parts for the 1976+ cars I worked on with friends in the SMOG counties. Most of the time it ended up costing a fortune to fix the POS and get it to pass SMOG and the car was not worth half the cost but was cheaper than buying another POS that my friend could not afford.
I know the government wants the old cars off the road and hopefully this passes to keep that from happening and to also help those that cannot afford to buy a new(er) car to keep getting around and getting by.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:33 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rollem
There's a bill for exempting smog for california 1983 and older vehicles that I feel a few people here would like to see pass (including myself). It's AB210. yall can look it up or I can ad a link if people are interested.
Meh. Why 1983? Just make OBD1 smog exempt and quit beating around the bush. It's an issue all the way to 1995.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Meh. Why 1983? Just make OBD1 smog exempt and quit beating around the bush. It's an issue all the way to 1995.

Exactly! Well said!

Last edited by FourEyes; 11-27-2019 at 11:28 AM.
MaK92-4RnR (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Too many OBD 1's still on the road would be my guess as to why CARB has the bill in place looking at < 1983 for exemption status. Makes me wonder if my 1982 beige deluxe long bed is still out there in Bishop, CA? As many of you probably know OBD 1 started in 1991 and so my rebuilt 91 T4R 3.0 failed for EVAP last go around in Sept/Oct 2019 and that took me several weekends to figure out. I couldn't really pinpoint any problem so I doubled up hose clamps and the tank would hold 30 psi without any real leak down rate when I ran air pressure back into it from the disconnected carbon canister line that is pinched off for the smog test. For the re-test, I questioned the stations rather tired fuel cap and quick disconnect fitting for the N2 purge/pressure bleed down and was fairly sure that the pinched off line on my carbon canister was not pinched enough during the test routine and that is why its leak down rate was failing the EVAP test. This really infuriated me as this is so easy to do with the long handled needle nose pliers that they use to grip and squeeze the hose pipe with to supposedly seal it off. If you can keep an eye on this when your getting smog testing done and question the method and ask what the bleed down rate is, that will let then know that they are not dealing with a push over for a customer. Once it fails EVAP it will cause you to have to pay another $15 for a retest after "the leak" is repaired. For OBD-1's and older that are hitting there 30's the CARB want's to know that your older fuel system is not putting HC's into the atmosphere thus the bleed down pressure test on OBD 1 equipped SUV's and trucks is required in 2019 for Ca. So on my T4R the DT-header and 57-9006 K&N have CARB exemption numbers posted in the engine compartment and they were recorded in my smog test report. But the 16 inch Zirgo on the aluminum radiator could have failed my vehicle for the visual as I was informed. Fortunately the owner is a cut above most smog places and actually has a degree from the same school I attended and so he ignored the fan because he understands... When I asked about putting my pressure gauge into the end of the hose at the canister during the retest to see what was going on the technician gave me some BS about having to have everything hooked up for the re-test to proceed and then guess what, it passed the EVAP! However, T4R was running like crap during the two weeks between the re-test with the timing at 10° BTDC. So, as soon as I was out of there and the results were headed to the DMV, I put it back to 14° and swapped out the CAT again for my 16" long eBay-Special glass-packed muffler that is after the O2 but in front of the Bosal. This OEM CAT-Back muffler comes free of charge with a < 2.0" diameter re-stricter tail pipe. But, it makes a great sound and for the 3VZ-E slow as it is, it is faster than most Gen II's and certainly gets up to 80 MPH with decent holding torque at 3,500 RPM with it in this trim. EGR delete does cross my mind from time to time but the cold air intake shroud I built around the K&N air filter a few weeks ago may take some explaining in two years time let alone a temporary removal if need be! And so the smog game goes on. I wonder if I can build up a 2.5" CAT back of my own design and fabrication and have that not get noticed? That would seem to me to be the next best thing to help with better breathing and more power!... FYI mixed drive with about 180 miles being highway @ 70-75 MPH and the other 40 miles being some off road and surface streets up to Big Bear, CA (7000 ft) netted a 16+ MPG trip for 220 miles on a tank full of regular from Mission Viejo, to Big Bear (Gold Mountain) and back to Yorba Linda for a Costco refueling. Not as bad as some and a bit better than others for a 5 speed with 31 X 10.5-R 15's and a very slight suspension lift.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Here's the bill. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01920200AB210. I think it should be a rolling exemption. But any start in that direction is a good start. Also theres rumors of a pre obd2 exemption. The BAR is aware of the issues of declining smog shops able of performing dyno/tail pipe inspections and the lack of available parts for older rigs. Dealers are only required to provide new parts for a vehicle for 15 yrs. So basically all of any older vehicle will have to get rebuilt or aftermarket parts and for more money. BTW I got this info from the smog referee in my city. THEY ARE AWARE of the issues. I believe the vote is feb/2020
Theres more to talk about for sure

heres a link to a petition https://www.change.org/p/california-...m-1976-to-1983
FourEyes (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FourEyes
Thanks for posting this rollem! I think they tried to pass something similar some years back. While I also want this to pass, I just looked it over and, if I'm reading this correctly, it would only apply to "vehicles manufactured PRIOR to the 1983 model year". Which unfortunately would mean that folks like myself with 1983 models would be outta luck. Still a step in the right direction though! If this passes maybe I'll just have to get an 82.

Thanks again,

Sam
Hey sam.. I think ive seen your rig in alameda. I live on the island now..
FourEyes (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Oldcarnut
I moved out of Cali a couple years ago due to multiple reason SMOG being one of them. Thankfully I had a property in a SMOG free county but after that burned to the ground it was the final straw. Don't think any of my cars would have had a problem passing the SMOG sniffer wise but visually would have failed... What a joke. I wish ya'll Californians luck as it was always a PITA to find SMOG parts for the 1976+ cars I worked on with friends in the SMOG counties. Most of the time it ended up costing a fortune to fix the POS and get it to pass SMOG and the car was not worth half the cost but was cheaper than buying another POS that my friend could not afford.
I know the government wants the old cars off the road and hopefully this passes to keep that from happening and to also help those that cannot afford to buy a new(er) car to keep getting around and getting by.
I agree. I would pay more in registration fees and keep my miles down to have a exemption. I believe Nevada and some other states have this for the classic (over 25yrs) vehicles.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by rollem
Hey sam.. I think ive seen your rig in alameda. I live on the island now..
It's definitely possible! I do get out there from time to time and I get all around Oakland. I've also heard a rumor that my truck has a look-a-like cruising around as well so it could be them. Always a pleasure to chat with fellow Bay Area folks!

Thanks again for posting this,

Sam
rollem (11-28-2019)