Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

radio help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radio help

Ok I bought some new rockford fosgate 4" door speakers to replace my old original paper speakers well I had to drill the speakers to get them to fit to the original speaker cover well now the window want roll all the way down cause the magnet is to big but thats not m problem, the new speakers dont sound good when you turn it up when its low it sounds ok but I think the old radio doesnt push enough watts for the speakers well what can I do to make them sound good and keep the original radio maybe a small amp, im not sure I have no experience with wiring radios so any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 AM

I had the same issue with my windows hitting the magnets. I used 1/4" bushings. (shims). Cant help you with the sound, mine sounds like crap too.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 AM

There's tons of options...mostly depending on how much you want to spend and what you want to accomplish, and if you plan on expanding in the future.

You are correct that most likely your stereo is not putting out enough power. In addition, your speaker wire probably needs to be replaced.

The most cost effective option is a small 2 channel amp with high level inputs (meaning inputs that connect to your speaker wire from your radio). There are tons of options beyond this.

I found this little unit on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRA400-4-Channel-Waterproof-Amplifier/dp/B000N5T0T4/ref=lp_898116_1_6?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1398968803&sr=1-6#productDetails http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRA400-4-Channel-Waterproof-Amplifier/dp/B000N5T0T4/ref=lp_898116_1_6?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1398968803&sr=1-6#productDetails

It's not the most powerful option, but should be plenty for your current application, and is water resistant. It also has low level inputs so you can get a 3.5mm to RCA and play music out of a phone or any headphone output. It also has 4 channels, so you can add 2 additional small speakers in the future.

You should pull out the old speaker wire and trash it. Then you'll need to run new speaker wire from your radio to the amp, then from the amp to the speakers. This should make your new speakers sound as they are designed. Throw a cheap pair of pioneer or sony 6x9s in self-enclosed boxes behind your seat, and you might even be able to hear the bass drum.

Also, if you are willing to spend a little more, look for the same thing, but a better brand, (clarion, kicker, sony, bazooka) because when it comes to car audio...you truly get what you pay for.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:43 AM

So from the radio to the amp and then amp to speakers so what powers the amp don't I have to run power from the battery to the amp and that's a good idea to put some 7x9 behind the seats I bet that will sound good
Old 05-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Yeah...I was just pointing out the speaker wiring.

Below is everything you need:

You will need a fused wire from the battery positive to the amp. For that small of an amp I think 10-12 gauge wire will be fine.

Then you will need to run a ground from the amp (also 10-12 gauge). Usually grounding to a seat mount will suffice (depends where you mount the amp). Get either a ring or fork wire end connector for the ground. Makes connecting to a ground screw much easier and neater.

Last you need a remote on wire that tells the amp to turn on when the radio is on. Back in the day radios had a power antenna wire that told a power antenna when to erect. If your radio has this, then you can run that wire to the amp...or you can run a wire from any of your fuses that only has power when the ignition is on. This wire can be much smaller such as 14-16 gauge.

You can pick up a pair of 2 way 6x9s and boxes for $100-150 (or used for $50), and it will make a word of difference.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 PM

I just talked to a guy from a shop and he said that I would need a equalizer or I would just get the same ol crappie sound just it would be louder with an amp. This sucks cause I'm not cutting my dash for a cd player I don't know what I'm gonna do but I would love to have some decent sound in my truck
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 PM

I considered that, but I think replacing the speaker wire would fix the crappy sound. They do make equalizers with built in amplifiers. That may be a better option for you since you aren't running a bunch of high powered speakers. they are hooked up the same way as i described.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Ok another question I just bought a factory radio to replace mine and it sounds a lot better than my old one but the only thing ticking me off is the light blew out. The ST light still works but my dial light went out. When I first installed it it worked fine then this morning it didn't come on witch is just my luck but has anyone one here ever had this happen or tried to change the bulb, or the bulbs even interchangeable I would like to have my light back on I can't stand when something isn't perfect thanks