Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Need a comfortable seat to save my back!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a comfortable seat to save my back!

I've been doing a lot of long trips recently in my 80 2WD truck and would like to put something more comfortable in place of the stock (non-adjustable) bench seat. I could go either way - bench or single seats with a console. I'm looking for opinions on what fits and what is most comfortable. I'd like to avoid breaking the bank, so if anyone knows of anything that'd fit out of a car I might find in a junkyard, that'd be great. I've read that Accord single seats or newer Toyota bench seats work well, but haven't seen any pics or read what's specifically involved in swapping them in (if anything out of the ordinary). Lets see what you have in your truck and please share how comfortable the ride is. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Do a little searching and see what you find, but I think the people who have swapped are proud of their work so they'll probably post it up for you. This comes up quite a bit. The most comfortable, without breaking the bank, seem to be early to mid 90's acura seats. That's what I've got sitting in my garage waiting to be put in right now. I have buckets from an 85 pickup in there right now. Improvement over the stock bench, but not exactly comfy.

What makes it cheap, though, is the ability to do some modifications yourself. Not sure you'll find anything that is a direct bolt in replacement. I'm hopefully having a friend who welds fab me up some rails that will work for these Acura seats I've got.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 PM

I got some leather seats from an MR2 Spyder and installed them into my '85 4Runner. The mounting brackets required some modification, but I really like them in the end.

I have to admit that they aren't the most comfortable thing in the world, but they were a far sight better than the old worn out originals.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 PM

I put toyota 4runner SR5 seats in my pickup, it is a night and day difference. I have lumbar adjustment, seat height, and they are very comfortable. I believe they are out of a 2nd generation 4 runner and bolted up to my factory bench seat location. I only had to drill one hole through the cab in the rear middle mounting tab position.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota80man
I put toyota 4runner SR5 seats in my pickup, it is a night and day difference. I have lumbar adjustment, seat height, and they are very comfortable. I believe they are out of a 2nd generation 4 runner and bolted up to my factory bench seat location. I only had to drill one hole through the cab in the rear middle mounting tab position.
I threw out the bench seat and installed the SR5 seats also as described above...back pain gone!

I've got some mazda miata seats in my samurai that I really like.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can find a set of used Recaro seats (EBay) they are the best.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently installed some 97 4Runner seats in my 83, it was not an easy mod, but I did it my self without using any welding or torching, all I used was my die grinder with cutting disks and some 1½" stock flat bar (about 1/4 inch thick bby 3 inches long).

The fit was great, a mayor upgrade from the current bucket seats I came with.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
mustang seats are nice. 100 miles a day and they're still more comfy than the old split-bench

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ick-up-226739/

Last edited by irab88; 07-19-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by cuaco-ortiz
I recently installed some 97 4Runner seats in my 83, it was not an easy mod, but I did it my self without using any welding or torching, all I used was my die grinder with cutting disks and some 1½" stock flat bar (about 1/4 inch thick bby 3 inches long).

The fit was great, a mayor upgrade from the current bucket seats I came with.
Explain more; or better yet, photos please.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a seat from a '98 impreza. I only did the driver seat because its all I had but it was a major improvement over the worn out stock seat.

You need to do a little cutting and welding on one bracket and re-drill one hole but other then that it drops right in.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Just go to a you-pull-it and go to town.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:55 AM

I have some 98 Integra gray leather seats in my 82
Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Thanks all for the responses. The seats in those pics look factory, nice job! I'll plan a day to head out to the junkyard and see what I can find.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 AM

I've got some from a early '90's Honda Accord. Had to make custom mouns, but they fit well and are COMFY even on long drives. The built in armrest and pockets on the back (for recovery gear) are nice-to-haves as well.

I'll have to find some pics..
Old 08-21-2011, 12:37 PM

I have seats out of a 94 ford ranger. they are full height, adjustable and have a center counsole built in
Old 08-21-2011, 05:05 PM

90 something sr5 seats in my 83. Pimpin man. Bolt right up. All kinds of adjustments.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
this is what is going in mine soon...all mounts will be flat-will need do some fab work though-
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Seat version 4.0:
Late 80's Prelude with 60k on the clock

The driver side had adjustable side bolsters and lumbar support.
This should be the last set....

old seats I had are almost a direct bolt in for the front mounts:
Found a set of 93-94 Integra seats that were a little dirty but overall excellant shape:

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Finally had a little time to get my Integra seats installed.
These things are great, there is a second hole about 1.25" over from the stock front outside mounting hole that lined up just about right, enlarged it just a hair and was able to use the inside front stock mount:

just had to cut off about the lower .25" or so of the stock bracket to allow it to sit flat on the floor.
I think that being able to use the stock front holes makes the install much more stable and install went very fast...
outside rear mount came up with something similar to WSUWeston's brackets:

The rear inside mount is flat, so ended up using the old stack of washers install method. Used grade 8 fender washers on the underside so that should help spread the load.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 AM

Haven't made it to the junkyard yet, but I wanted to say thanks again for all the input

Those seats with the armrests really spark my interest. On long trips, I usually rest my left arm on the door's armrest, but it's really not that comfortable. Those Ranger seats with the center console sound nice too.

When installing these other seats, were you guys able to slide the seat back any further for more leg room than with the stock bench seat?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:52 PM

Nothing is going to supply more room than the stock bench.. room just doesn't exist in these pickups.

I currently have an e36 BMW leather seat in the driver's side, but the power functions just take up too much heighth.

Whatever you do, go with a manually operated set. I'm going to explore late 80's hondas.. but i'm already considering reupholstering some stock buckets..
Old 08-30-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Researching the same thing on my 87 4Runner, ..... wishin you the best of luck, Banana! lol.... felt funny saying that.

Ours are most likely much different in the mounting spots... but I think that I'd rather find something that I REALLY, REALLY find comfortable and 'WORK' them in, rather than finding something that just drops right in for convenience, ya know? Found some 95 4Runner Buckets that MIGHT be ok, have to do a lil more checking to see if the levers are messed up(sliding lever, recliner, etc.).... But from Pick-u-part this weekend(at least over here) it's 50% off everything on the lot.... So if I can fight the crowds/few pushy people, I might just have to go for them, lol.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Need a comfortable seat to save my back!