Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

looking at buying a high milage truck - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015 | 08:37 PM

looking at buying a high milage truck - advice needed

Craigslist posting is here.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5288838379.html

Should I be concerned about something with this many miles? What should I be on the lookout for? I'm going to take it to a shop and have it looked over as a prerequisite to purchasing. Have any of you slept in the back of one of these? Is it possible in the shortbed?

Thanks for the help, i'm looking forward to joining the Toyota club. (if i don't buy this one, i'll get another)
Old 11-08-2015 | 10:04 PM
Fossilized

It is a 33 year old truck, crap is gonna go wrong at random times
Having it checked out can alleviate some immediate problems

Pull up the carpet/ vinyl floor and inspect the four corners of the cab floor for rust
Put it up on a jack and check the front end - wheel bearings etc

Yes you can sleep in the back, all depends on how tall you are
Old 11-09-2015 | 06:37 AM

So the high mileage alone is something that can be mostly offset by the amount of work that's been done to the rig? I'm not totally incompetent, but working on vehicles isn't really my strong suit. The appealing thing about this truck is the amount of work that's already been done to it. Good point on checking the corners of the cab for rust.
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
It is a 33 year old truck, crap is gonna go wrong at random times
Having it checked out can alleviate some immediate problems

Pull up the carpet/ vinyl floor and inspect the four corners of the cab floor for rust
Put it up on a jack and check the front end - wheel bearings etc

Yes you can sleep in the back, all depends on how tall you are
Originally Posted by seacoats
So the high mileage alone is something that can be mostly offset by the amount of work that's been done to the rig? I'm not totally incompetent, but working on vehicles isn't really my strong suit. The appealing thing about this truck is the amount of work that's already been done to it. Good point on checking the corners of the cab for rust.
As drop zone stated, a older truck, especially one that has 300K+ miles will require work and will have issues of some kind over time. Just because a truck has had work done to it does not mean that is should out weigh the total mileage.

On something like this, you want to check for leaks, ensure that the engine & transmission are working well and check for rust as Seattle is far north.
Old 11-09-2015 | 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

First flag I see in this add is "Blueprinted 22R motor." The word "blueprinted" is thrown around so much these days and most people don't even know what it means. I very highly doubt that this engine is blueprinted or that the seller even knows what blueprinted means. Not to mention that blueprinting a 22R for reasons outside of extreme racing or performance would be absolutely unnecessary and a waste of money. Blueprinting involves building an engine to a set of very specific steps that go a step further in balancing and tolerances over OEM spec and tolerance ranges. OEM specs are typically supplied as "good enough" to work, but blueprinting takes those specs and considers tolerances, weights, balancing and measurements a step further to produce a superior and more efficient engine typically for a specific use. Typically In blueprinting, dozens of parts (like pistons, rods, rings, valves, wrist pins, bearings, etc) are purchased so that the builder can select the parts (particularly in the rotating assembly) that have nearly identical weights and dimensions to improve balance. In a nut shell, blueprinting is building an engine optimized within OEM mass production standards/specs to create a superior performing engine or building an engine a set of specs such as those for NASCAR or NHRA; Blueprinting is building an engine TO SPEC, not "within spec." If blueprinting was simply building an engine within OEM specs then I would have built dozens of blueprint engines because I usually build my engines within OEM specs and tolerances. Also, this guy's "blueprinted" engine has oversized valves, cam upgrades, etc - those aren't within Toyota's specs so what was it spec'ed to? That is the question to ask him. My guess is that this guy doesn't know what he is talking about and is throwing the word out there as a selling feature.

The entire engine compartment looks like a wiring nightmare too me. There's a lot of splicing going on everywhere with that MSD ignition and coil. The emissions have been removed; however on the headers there are no block off plates where the return piping was originally which leads me to believe that they may have been welded closed on the head (no a good thing). A 1986 tranny (W56) doesn't just "bolt-on" to a 1982 pickup without modifying the crossmember location, driveshafts and shifter locations. I'd want more information on that modification. It is missing the mechanical fuel pump so how was the electrical fuel pump installed and wired. There is what appears to be a remote oil filter setup, why?

Then there is the body. That bed is toast! If the bed is rusted out, I imagine that there are also issues with the frame and body mounts. Scope out behind those rockers - I bet they are rusted out up near the firewall.

The price is steep given the quality and poor description. I would be more inclined to pass on this opportunity mainly because I don't trust what is being said nor is the quality of the truck very good. If you do decided to purchase the truck then I would highly recommend obtaining as much documentation as possible.
Old 11-09-2015 | 03:03 PM

thanks for all of those tips. i'm gonna go take a look at it tomorrow and see whats what. i'm gonna be on the lookout for rust and ask him questions about the blueprinting and the transmission swap. i found a shop nearby that will do a buyers inspection. assuming it isn't rusted out, i'm planning on taking it there to have another set of eyes look at it.
Old 11-09-2015 | 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Check everywhere for rust especially the frame from the rear spring perches on back. I have seen nice trucks like that and they are loaded with problems. If you do get it, be prepared to go from bumper to bumper to get all the issues fixed.

Just what you mentioned with your skills, I would be wary of it. If you can do the work yourself it might would be a good truck for you. If you have to have the work done, I would skip on it.

Things to consider are time, money, space, and tools to get it to the condition you want it to be. The work done by previous owners usually is shabby at best. For myself, I could see it being a two year project to get where I want it to be and that would just to be a stock truck.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-09-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2015 | 10:27 PM

That looks like a long bed to me? about 7 foot. If you plan on moving to a state or area that smogs you'd be screwed. Mileage means nothing to me depending on who owned the ride your looking for and how cared for. Mine has 260,000mi and everythings as if it had 20,000 on it except the motor, the only thing not touched and doing the head this month cause of blowen head gasket. Look for any frame damage and watch it going down the road from behind to see if it tracks straight. Mine is off cause it was hit twice in the right front not me....

Last edited by g3bill2; 11-09-2015 at 10:30 PM.