Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Im getting sick of swapping motors..

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GeminiFire
Oh yeah ill be saving up for a new motor regardless.. lol. that thick oil is working great. the pressure gauge says it idles at about 60psi lol i think that might be too high but ill be changing the oil SOON anyway with slightly thinner oil(just because this oil makes me nervous).

And your right CMAN1 one of these crazy stories finally does have a happy ending. This is actually one of my first "finished" and "successful" threads ive ever written. woohoo!! mooooovin on up!
It just says that because it's so thick lol.
Might consider going to a thick high-mileage oil, but don't go to a thin oil.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FREAKING FANTASTICALACIOUSIBULOUSAWESOME! LOL. Right on, bud! I'm so happy for ya, .... glad you're not screwed out of your transpo for now/that it was 'doable' with less cabbage output! AWESOME!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you haven't driven it yet, the high PSI might just be due to the oil being cold, it might go down when it warms up as the oil will thin out some.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by James Woods
If you haven't driven it yet, the high PSI might just be due to the oil being cold, it might go down when it warms up as the oil will thin out some.
True, you might consider a block heater.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok first of all, whats a block heater? lol

I drove the truck several times around town today, got it up in the higher rpm range on the highway, and everything is running smoothly, still no knock or anything. im just totally floored with happiness about it all.

The PSI is at about 50-60 depending on how i drive it once its warmed up. not only that, but i got a WORKING aftermarket 2" temp gauge mounted where the amp gauge used to be in the lower gauge pod. i also go the lights for both those gauges wired into the head light circuit.(the oil pressure gauge has replaced the stock non working one also in the lower gauge pod). Things are looking good. even on the highway the temp stays at about 190 when hot.

So now my question is(and perhaps this would be best asked on a new thread) where should i go to get the few grommets i need to close up the drain holes on the truck floor and a few in the firewall as well. i think the holes are anywhere from about 1/2 inch to about 3/4 or an inch.

Peow, dont worry i wont go too much thinner i think just ill look into the higher mileage thick oil or perhaps go down a to the next thinner type. not sure yet i still want to drive it for about a week before i do an oil change.

and THANKS chefyota for the kind words! its been an adventure for sure!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:27 PM

I honestly wouldnt worry too much, it's just due to the fact that you have really thick oil lol.
In fact, 50-60 is pretty normal
65Psi is like full load on these engines.
I'd be worried if you suddenly started spewing oil out of every orifice, and still had high PSI.

Anyways, a block heater just keeps the engine block warm when the truck is turned off. Those 0* mornings in oregon and washington, arent too bad after a block heater. And with thick oil like that, it'll be like turning over a diesel filled with honey.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 AM

I definitely need some anti-freeze instead of water. im worried about the water in there freezing(ive had so many issues with this truck that i just put water in the radiator until i finally get this thing running for awhile). is there a place to get a bunch of it for less than like 15 or 20 bucks a bottle?

once my truck warms up and idling the oil pressure is closer to 20psi upon further inspection. but when im driving its around 50psi so its all good. Although now my blinkers stopped working.. i think its a fuse but i only noticed on my way home last night with no flashlight, so ill look into that today at some point.

a block heater sounds good, but honestly this truck starts right up and after feathering the gas for a minute or so it idles nicely. but just out of curiosity where can i get a block heater and how much do they go for?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 AM

oreillys and i'm not sure of the price.
as far as the coolant goes, go buy a gallon of the unmixxed stuff, drain half your water, and pour the unmixed in. you can run it under 50/50 no problems, i run mine 70/30 year round with no freezing issues.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Yeah i think ill go get some of that non mixed antifreeze, and thanks for answering what would have been my follow up question. 70/30 is about what i would do too but i was about to ask lol..
Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 AM

hmmmm,well ,because of the strawberry milkshake,i,personally would drain,flush.fill. pretty cheap insurance!!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thought the strawberry milkshake was only a problem with Auto tacoma's and 3rd gen runners?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think that is what he meant to say, the first post stated that OP's first motor went out from his water pump gasket leaking and mixing with his oil, so I assume that is what cman1 meant, but I would think that he should have drained the whole thing anyway since it has had quite a bit of work since then.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 PM

i would love to flush the oil AND the coolant passages. i know they have a flush compound(probably lots of kinds too) for the radiator/coolant, but is there stuff i can use to flush my crank case and get all that old varnish off the inner walls? i used seafoam but when i have the valve cover off it seems to still be pretty nasty in there.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 PM

i would just get it warm,oil change,then pull the lower radiator hose and drain the water.re-fill. cheap insurance.i wouldnt put any type of cleaners in the oil as they tend to thin out the oil...which would defeat the purpose of your intense labor.my 2cents.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 PM

hey guys,
That being said while it was running for 5 minutes the oil immediately turned to a milkshake. i was planning on tuning it and shutting if off then changing the oil with a treatment of seafoam today.. but i guess thats not happening anymore. could that be an issue even for 5 minutes? there couldnt have been much water in there because when i checked the oil right before starting it ti wasnt milky at all on the dip stick. and yes i made sure to use a good non leaking or cut into timing cover. i thought i covered everything RAR!!!

my other question is do you guys recomend using this cam because it seems like all ive had is problems with it. im thinking about just getting a stocker from craigslist and using that for the time being.

Thanks guys.. and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
thats what i meant about the milkshake,yota radiator fliuid is red...origionally.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:52 AM

i would love to flush the oil AND the coolant passages. i know they have a flush compound(probably lots of kinds too) for the radiator/coolant, but is there stuff i can use to flush my crank case and get all that old varnish off the inner walls? i used seafoam but when i have the valve cover off it seems to still be pretty nasty in there.
You could run ATF in your oil about 500 miles before your next oil change, and then start running a high-mileage oil. The ATF has strong detergents that will clean the valve train.

The high mileage oil has detergents that just clean anything.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM

I used engine cleaner, in a high mileage motor, It work to good loosend up the varnish, then I had to rebuild it it was smoking so bad.
some old guy told me when He was young and pour He would cut up a leather belt and use that for bearings.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
You could run ATF in your oil about 500 miles before your next oil change, and then start running a high-mileage oil. The ATF has strong detergents that will clean the valve train.

The high mileage oil has detergents that just clean anything.
ATF is also known to trap H20, .... When I blew my HG, right after the last rebuild(it just was defective), I flushed the best I could, then ran oil with a quart of ATF in there, ..... it barely steamed on start up and then NO steam after flush and fill with the official break in oil.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 PM

ok cool thanks guys, ill definitely do the ATF quart thing tomorrow. that sounds like it will work. well guys just to update you, the truck is running GREAT. now that the electric choke is up and running it starts right up even on these colder oregon days and will now idle after i feather the gas for about 15 seconds. it idles right at 900rpm im so happy...

now im trying to figure out why i have "death wobble" at about 35-40 mph. wheels and tires and balanced and matching. everything seems tight with wheel bearings and all the running gear bushings and stuff. any ideas?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM

I read this thread last night and I just wanted to say WOW! I was SO excited when I read that you pulled it off. This is defiantly something I'll keep in mind if I'm ever in a tough situation. Best of luck and may your Toyota out live you.

Quick Reply: Im getting sick of swapping motors..