Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Hey 1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little ugly right now, in the middle of building her. Note the bobbed box. Took 22 inches off her
Old 05-03-2015, 03:40 AM

My 82

Here are some pics of my 82 when I got it 2 months ago , it was painted camo and looked kinda rough. Now with a rattle can paint job , some 39.5's and a lot of work and $. I rebuilt the 22r and a bunch of other stuff
Attached Thumbnails Hey  1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)-img_0120e.jpg   Hey  1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)-img_0342e.jpg   Hey  1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)-img_0304e.jpg  
Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by mtm auto repair 337
Here are some pics of my 82 when I got it 2 months ago , it was painted camo and looked kinda rough. Now with a rattle can paint job , some 39.5's and a lot of work and $. I rebuilt the 22r and a bunch of other stuff
Very nice!
It's really cool just what a couple hundred bucks in rattlecans can do!
Old 05-15-2015, 06:50 AM

1982 2WD - Don't see as many of these here...

This is my 82 2WD w/ 200k mi. I bought it about 5 years ago for $600 and all she has needed in the form of repairs/replacement is a battery, alternator, and starter. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned - far better than newer stuff I've had.

I am asked about often - mostly at places like Home Depot. They ask if I am interested in selling. I tell them $10K

˄˄ The rust is epic with this one...

˄˄ I just added this; not done with the install yet

˄˄ I wanted to keep the dilapidated look so I build MDF boxes and left them raw. I added picture frame wire to the back and actually hung them in the cabin. They also look funny. They sound better than they look (I'm an acoustic engineer).

˄˄ Nearly 200,000...

˄˄ Say, what is all that sediment from?

˄˄ Recent heavy rains here in CO have created small lakes on some exit ramps. I saw one, slowed considerably but had to go through. As soon as I did, the passenger floor mat rose and a column of water crashed into the ceiling. I ended up with 2" standing in the passenger well. Of course with such a large hole in the floor, it drained quickly.

˄˄ Ignore the tape for a moment... when I got the truck, the negative wire was red and positive was black. I added the tape because of what you will see in the next photo...

˄˄ The white on the top edge is where the jumper cable touched when the leads were connected backwards. The melted depression of the cable can be well seen in the marker light.

˄˄ The bright yellow isn't stock; you can see here they didn't paint the jambs.

˄˄ They didn't bother to DART the jambs. Sloppy.

Last edited by TheSkiingNinja; 05-15-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet rig. I love the sideview mirrors. I had the hardest time finding some in decent shape
Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I "striped" my truck last week. The exterior is pretty much done now!
Name:  C05DF26A-91D9-402C-9A60-2837F50951AF_zpsrvxznrcr.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  239.0 KB

Name:  1338255D-9411-4B49-AF52-39976BD9B581_zpsohfzrjr0.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  249.8 KB

Name:  D99D2398-B022-4DB1-B00F-B756F2C6A67A_zpseiyockrz.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  253.7 KB

Name:  32EE67AE-0042-4D03-B2EB-AED605E9814E_zpsc1uzrxhz.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  225.0 KB
Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 AM

Damn, that looks so good Dave. Makes me sad about how beat my truck looks, and mine isn't "that bad" compared to how a lot of first gens look these days.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Bingle
Damn, that looks so good Dave. Makes me sad about how beat my truck looks, and mine isn't "that bad" compared to how a lot of first gens look these days.
You should feel guilty for beating up your truck, you evil man!! LOL Just kidding! Different folks, different strokes. I'm not going to lie though, I would like to have another first gen pickup that I could beat the crap out of and have a little fun since there isn't exactly a lot of fun to be had in a truck you put this much time and money in. Eventually, my truck will see some light off-roading (obviously nothing extreme or damaging like you guys do), but I'm not ready for that yet. Hopefully by the fall I will get over that a little and take it hunting. I'm still afraid to get dirt on it! In fact, the other day a bird took a major poo on my hood and I got pretty bent out of shape about it... I'm so particular right now that I check the weather forecast in the morning for rain before I leave for work in the morning - 10% chance of rain = truck stays in the garage. LOL For now, the most off-roading it will see will be the occasional beach camping this summer followed by a thorough cleansing...
Old 05-18-2015, 09:08 AM

I hear you there. I plan on a new paint job at some point. When I painted it with my dad back in '94, the first ding I got in the paint damn near brought me to tears. Now I've got some "coustom" bodywork from various sources. I don't "wheel" that often but I do go getting fire wood in places you wouldn't take a "nice" truck. It's a "work truck" for dump runs, etc. so it's nice to be able to throw something in the back and not give a damn if you give it a new ding in doing so.
My brother recently got a 2014 Taco and my wife occaisonally rants about "Why did he get a truck if he's worried about getting it dirty or a little scratched up?". She doesn't really like my truck (or the money it sucks out of the budget), but she knows that it's a tool with a purpose. That purpose is to do things that you would never subject any other vehicle to.

I guess on the other side of the coin, I'd really like to have another one to make a nice stock ride out of to take out only on nice weather days and avoid bird droppings and small mud puddles.

Last edited by Bingle; 05-18-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 AM

Damn that thing looks good. Is that a factory color? Mine seemed to have a little more orange in it. But then again, it had been sitting out in the florida sun for almost 25 years.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hey Bingle, don't you have a sky offroad t-case brake? If you do, did you have any kinds of clearance or fitment issues issues with the rotor??
Old 05-19-2015, 06:45 AM

Not that I recall. It's been on there for 10 yrs or so and was only a little fussy about getting the "caliper" to center up right when I first put it on, or something like that, my memory sucks. Been problem free and untouched for a long time. What is the rotor having clearance problems with?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I haven't bought one yet, but my friend convinced me the other day that I need to get an e-brake ASAP when he tried to start my truck with it in gear. Luckily for me I have a really good habit of leaving my transmission in gear opposite of what the truck COULD run into if started in gear. Otherwise, if I left it in first instead of reverse in this case he would be requiring a new garage door and considerable medical attention after I got done beating him for crashing my truck into said garage door.

I was looking at Sky's t-case brake, but I couldn't find any first gen pickup folks with helpful reviews. I just saw that on some truck there are clearance issues between the rotor and tranny tunnel. Since I don't exactly have a stovk tranny tunnel I'm not sure what clearance I will have anyway. Do you know the diameter of the rotor so I can take some
Measurements?? I also undestand that the rotor is drilled for 10mm bolts and the larger pinion flange bolt patterns of later trucks - not an issue for me since I'll just re-drill it on the mill - I'm not trying to swap flanges and driveshaft yokes for this. Did you re-drill your rotor too?

Seems pretty simple, but wanted some feedback on it.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:36 AM

Ok, I get it now. It must have been a "better" kit back when I bought it because I am 99% sure I didn't have to drill the rotor or anything like that. I'm pretty sure it was straight bolt on and go. Stock '81 drivetrain location with no body lift and there were no clearance issues at all, not even close to anything IIRC. I'll try to remember to measure the rotor diamiter tonight when I get home to the truck so you can be sure before you buy.

As for general review of the product, it has been great. Better holding power than stock and has given me no issues. I don't drive the truck that often or put that many miles on it anymore but I've likely got well over 60k mi on the truck since I put it on and the rotor and caliper are still in good shape. I recall it being a little fussy getting it dialed in as far as e-brake cable length, return spring, and caliper adjustment to have it function "just right", but I haven't had to touch it in the last 8-ish years, maybe more. I can't remember exactally when I put it on but I believe it was '04 at the latest, likely earlier.

I have a detroit in the rear so it locks up both wheels. Open diff might not hold quite as well on a loose hill or something, but I don't know that from experience, just a guess. Having a pavement princess I suspect you will have no problems.

Edit:
The diamiter of my t-case e-brake is 8" +/- 1/4 " (driveline in the way). Placed here so response is easier to find.

Last edited by Bingle; 05-20-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added measurment
Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Pavement Princess? Dang... I suppose I deserve that one... LOL I'm going to have to drive down a gravel road or something so I can get a piece of my man card back!

That's all I was really looking for in a review. Like every other conversion, I expect some adjustments to be needed, but as long as it eventually works without failure then that is enough for me. I literally need it pretty much only as a parking brake. My driveway has a slight slope so it gets to be really annoying having to turn off the engine the put it in gear whenever I need to run inside really quick or have to put a chock behind the wheels while I let it warm up. And I suppose the safety aspect (and well being of my friend that started it in gear) has a fairly large consideration in the matter as well...
Old 05-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Recently purchased 'new' truck for me...

1980, 4x4, 20R, 4spd...
Previous owner wanted to make sure everyone knew it is a Toyota, so some stripping of decals and repainting will need to be done, among the rest of the tinkering going on...
Attached Thumbnails Hey  1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)-img_2230-960x1280-.jpg  
Old 05-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Looks good 80truck. Pretty complete rig... i especially like the brush guard and those side mirrors
Old 05-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by flg8r22
Looks good 80truck. Pretty complete rig... i especially like the brush guard and those side mirrors
Thanks!
It is pretty much all there, as far as I can tell... need a couple cosmetic things, like the drives side front marker assembly, an accelerator pedal, original steering wheel - not too fond of the Grant in it now, and more that I haven't figured out yet I'm tempted to see if I can find other wheels as these are quite wide and I was thinking of going closer to stock. These are 10" wide I think, would like to find something a little skinnier, we'll see...
Old 05-19-2015, 03:46 PM

Mines still goin! Love this truck.. 35s & 5.29s are coming soon! Just put a Marlin HD clutch in

Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 80Truck
Thanks!
It is pretty much all there, as far as I can tell... need a couple cosmetic things, like the drives side front marker assembly, an accelerator pedal, original steering wheel - not too fond of the Grant in it now, and more that I haven't figured out yet I'm tempted to see if I can find other wheels as these are quite wide and I was thinking of going closer to stock. These are 10" wide I think, would like to find something a little skinnier, we'll see...
Let me know. I have an original steering wheel that needs rewrapped, factory steelies, and new old stock marker lenses.

Quick Reply: Hey 1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)