Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

head gasket leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007 | 06:56 AM

head gasket leaking

Well after a valve job and new cam/timing chain install, i put everything together and my head gasket is leaking. I have lots of water in my oil and i can look underneath and were the head meets the block, and there are bubbles coming out. My question is is it possible for that much water to get in the oil by a leaking head gasket? The gasket doesnt even look like it sealed, its still totally flat and there are no grooves or indentions what so ever. (Used a parts house gasket, thats my fault i know.)

Anyway i was just looking down into the timing chain cover and there are 2 bolts from the water pump, protruding into my timing cover. One is up high on the passenger side and the other is down alittle bit lower and close the the middle. This isnt normal is it? Im thinking thats where the majority of the water could be comming from. Any help and sugguestions would be greatly appreiciated, thanks.
Old 06-09-2007 | 09:35 AM

I don't understand...did you pull the headgasket out to inspect it? Could you take some pictures of the bolts protruding into your timing cover...I don't remember any that were even close to there when I did my multiple head gasket fixes this past month....

As to a leaking head gasket causing that much water in your oil...ABSOLUTELY...it would just take a little damage around the water passages and you would be sucking water into your cylinders like it was cool.

Hope this helps,

Jon
Old 06-09-2007 | 10:34 AM

thanks alot jriebe, sure ill take some pics as soon as my girlfreind gets home with her camera. That makes me feel better about the head gasket cause that much water in the oil, so maybe nothing is wrong with my timing chain cover.

I did inspect the head gasket and like i said it still looks like it hasnt been installed. I think its just becuase its a cheap one and its one of those metal lined ones or whatever, i think people have been having trouble out of those? The only thing that gets me is that no water would shoot from the spark plug holes when i turned the engine over, but who can really know whats going on in there. All i know is that the head gasket was def. leaking, and there was alot of wetness (oil/water) UNDER the head gasket when i removed it from the block. thanks alot for your help, ill get to work on those pics.

Last edited by bigyota36; 06-09-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2007 | 02:33 PM

theres a few pics. used a clothes hanger hoping you could see it better. The bolt doesnt actually stick out into the timing cover like i thought, but there is a hole there. There is also another one just like it behind the fan clutch/pully. Any ideas?
Old 06-09-2007 | 05:39 PM

What does your oil look like? Is it the consistency and color of a thin chocolate milkshake? If so, then your head gasket was definitely leaking.

The reason I ask is that when I pulled my head..the second and third time...I let a fair amount of water leak into the block...are you sure there was water in the oil before you pulled the head?

I am going to go look at my motor to see if I have the same bolt on my water pump...and yes, I do. There shouldn't be any problem with that as it does not allow water to pass into the crankcase or anything.

I would just assume that your headgasket was crappy. not to sound perjorative, but make sure you clean the head mating surface really well, I used a scotchbrite pad and paint thinner, before you slap the thing together. There are also some points on the head where you are required to apply a sealant, make sure to do that...

Hope this helps,

Good luck,

Jon
Old 06-09-2007 | 05:53 PM

Thanks alot Jon you've been very helpfull! Yes sir the oil looked like a choc. milkshake. There was a great amount of water getting in, it didnt take long at all for that oil to get dangerously thin. So you also have that hole in your timing cover where that bolt goes?

As far as water getting in the oil before i pulled the head, yes it definatly was. After i cranked it for the first time after the install i checked it and it was bad watery. Also pulled the valve cover and it was full of chocolate milkshake.

Im going to clean my block surface and snaps some pics so you can look at them hopefully you will be able to tell if its clean enough. Right now i have about half of it clean I THINK. I cant really get it brand new shiney, it seems like there is some black color that may be worn into the block. I hope that makes some sense. But ill admit i didnt clean it very well at all, Im bad about getting impatient when it comes close to finishing everything up. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by bigyota36; 06-09-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2007 | 06:52 PM

I hear you on getting impatient to get projects done. I generally know that when I start swearing at the project, the quality of my work has gone down about 50%.

In any case, It is important to clean the mating surface...especially near the water jacket/passages. They calcify and corrode fairly badly. If you take the time to clean them well, not only will you not have to do this ^#%$%^ job another time but your radiator will thank you. I used a vacuum to get as much stuff out of every crevice after cleaning and letting the block dry...worked well.

Keep me posted...I am glad I can help, it makes my busting my knuckles worth it, to keep someone from making the same mistakes that I have.

Jon

Last edited by jriebe; 06-09-2007 at 06:54 PM.