Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Brake lights sticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights sticking

Hi again guys,

My neighbor banged on my door the other night to tell me my brake lights were on- like 2 hours after I parked my truck. I thought she must've meant running lights or something, but nope, just the brake lights were on.

Lifting the pedal didn't shut them off, but stomping the pedal a few times did. It might be a coincidence, but the brakes were done a couple of weeks ago: pads, shoes, a leaking rear cylinder, and turned drums. Could any of that work have something to do with it, and how should I start to figure this out?
Old 12-15-2021, 01:20 PM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
Check the pedal alignments. Especially the brake light switch. Sounds like either the pedal isn't returning high enough to shut the switch off, or the switch isn't aligned properly. Given the work done, and your description of what it took to make everything work properly, I'd guess the pedal isn't returning high enough. But it easily could be the switch's alignment, or the actual switch going bad.

You might get down there with a good, bright flashlight, and looking to see that pedal is returning all the way up to the stop. If it is, check that the switch is opening correctly when the pedal pushes on it. You can hook up a multimeter to it. and see if it opens when actuated manually, with your fingers, and then with the pedal.
IF the pedal goes up all the way to it's stop, you might try loosening the stop nut on the switch, and screwing it down closer to the pedal a little.

Finally, make sure the little tab that pushes on the switch isn't bent, cracked, or broken. Same with the pedal's main support. They are known to crack. Have a friend, or other type of assistant, push down on the pedal while looking for a crack. Sometimes they're really hard to see when everything is "relaxed".

Good luck. I hope something in my rambling is some small help...
Pat☺
The following users liked this post:
swampedout (01-04-2022)
Old 12-16-2021, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is super helpful, Pat. Not rambling at all. I will check all those thing. Thank you!