Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Audiovox Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audiovox Cruise Control

I'm looking to install the Audiovox CCS100 cruise control kit this weekend on my '83 2WD. Anyone have any experience with it? Installation looks fairly simple, I just need to find the speed sensor and tach wires, if they exist. I don't have a tach on the dash but I assume there's a connection for it? There's also the option to mount a magnet to the drive shaft and use that instead, but I'm hoping to avoid that hassle.

Did a search but couldn't find anything. I'll be sure to document the installation and post a report as I go forward.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Not too familiar with the pre84 trucks I know on the 86+ trucks the tach worked off a sensor [on the distributor I think] and may have been pre-wired for it my 87 was when I converted it to an SR5 cluster, only thing I had to wire in was Oil press. sensor.... your model may be similar...
Where did you get the audiovox cruise control? is it an electronic one?
I'm interested in adapting the controls to use the factory steering wheel switches... can you post the model #info for it so I can chase down a schematic?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO VSS, looks like you'll have to put on the speed sensor thing on the driveline, no big deal.

Kit says to connect to negative side of coil, should work just fine.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Not too familiar with the pre84 trucks I know on the 86+ trucks the tach worked off a sensor [on the distributor I think] and may have been pre-wired for it my 87 was when I converted it to an SR5 cluster, only thing I had to wire in was Oil press. sensor.... your model may be similar...
Where did you get the audiovox cruise control? is it an electronic one?
I'm interested in adapting the controls to use the factory steering wheel switches... can you post the model #info for it so I can chase down a schematic?
I bought it from Amazon for $90 w/ free shipping. JC Whitney has the same kit for $95. It's an Audiovox CCS100, and you can control it with other cruise control switches. The servo works on a vacuum and is electronically controlled. There is a manual online at their website:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...1067&langId=-1

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by rowdy235
NO VSS, looks like you'll have to put on the speed sensor thing on the driveline, no big deal.

Kit says to connect to negative side of coil, should work just fine.
Great, thanks. Will plan to just go with the magnet then. Do you know if the tach wire is coming from the distributor as aviator said? I assume there's something in there because it was an option on the SR5 for that year.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Tach signal comes from a plug off the ignition coil. You should, under the hood, drivers side, up almost against the firewall, see two plugs coming off the coil. One has stuff plugged to it, one just has a black cap. That's where you connect your tach wire (under black cap).
Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 83
Tach signal comes from a plug off the ignition coil. You should, under the hood, drivers side, up almost against the firewall, see two plugs coming off the coil. One has stuff plugged to it, one just has a black cap. That's where you connect your tach wire (under black cap).
Awesome information, thanks. Sounds very simple.

Only thing that might take some time in interfacing with the throttle cable and finding an appropriate vacuum line to tap into.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:47 PM

Si
Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jeff D
I bought it from Amazon for $90 w/ free shipping. JC Whitney has the same kit for $95. It's an Audiovox CCS100, and you can control it with other cruise control switches. The servo works on a vacuum and is electronically controlled. There is a manual online at their website:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...1067&langId=-1

Good luck.
Thanks Jeff... let us know how it works out...
Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Hold On, I Think I may have told you wrong.

I am planning to get this for my truck as well so I was looking through how to install it, and I found that it said:
NOTE: If the vehicle is a manual transmission and does not have a VSS wire, the cruise will operate from tach
signal only. Program dip switch #1 and #2 for 4000 PPM and move dip switch #3 to OFF position.
Thats the setup our trucks have, and by setting swich #3 to off, that selects "Tach Only", telling me that the magnets are not needed! I guess we will have to try it and see where it goes
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

hmmm... sounds like more research may be needed... do they have a tech support line?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Well, I spent about 5 hours and did the install this weekend. It was very straightforward, only time consuming because I had to find wires and plan where to put things. I have an auto transmission so I needed to install the magnet kit. It would be an hour or two less if you only had to connect to the tach. Also the 5 hours included lounging around drinking coffee and BSing with my friend, who helped with the install.

I'm told Audiovox has a very good tech support line (1-800-225-6074) but I did not need it. Once again this was an Audiovox CCS-100 Electronic Cruise Control which I purchased for $90 from Amazon.

Mounting the servo next to the ignition:

Mounting throttle cable on existing throttle:

Connecting to throttle linkage with ball cable:

Throttle cable completed:

Blue tach cable connected (this was too easy...):

Overview of servo, vacuum connection, and wiring once cleaned up and routed into cab:

Couldn't get many good under-dash wiring shots, here is tying into the brake switch:

Magnet kit with bracket (possibly not required for manuals?):

Dash mounted controller:

Overall this was a great addition to the truck for $90 and a Saturday morning. I opted to try it without the vacuum chamber and it works OK, but on steeper hills it will slowly lose speed. On level ground or gradual hills it works like a champ. I'll eventually add the chamber but am happy with it for now. I opted to route the controller wiring around the panel, as opposed to cutting a hole in the dash and routing it straight back. This simply required shaving some of the foam adhesive off so the wiring could lay flat behind the controller.

One point in the instructions say to connect the throttle wire under the hood, while another point says to only connect to the accelerator pedal. I connected straight to the throttle linkage as shown. Not sure why there is conflicting information in the instructions. I also needed to ground the black wire coming from the controller, the instructions were ambiguous in this regard and it did not work until I grounded it.

Any specific questions, feel free to ask. With a multimeter, a drill, and some time, you'll be good to go and cruising in no time.

Last edited by Jeff D; 06-23-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
nice install...but one thing I like about driving these old truck is not having a whole lot of bells and whistles haven't wired my speakers back up since I put on tube doors
Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Nice work! If I lived in the flatlands, I might do the same, but it's too hilly here for my underpowered engine to be able to use cruise.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 PM

Good deal. Ordered mine today and I'll post back when I know if you need the magnets for a manual.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Once I have a little cash extra I may have to do this mod. Thanks for the good write up.

Jeff according to the online inst. manual there is supposed to be an "application" list/manual included in the box does it say anything about installs in the 89-95 trucks with the 3.0?

Last edited by aviator; 06-24-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Jeff according to the online inst. manual there is supposed to be an "application" list/manual included in the box does it say anything about installs in the 89-95 trucks with the 3.0?
Let me see if I didn't trash that extra list you're talking about. I remember seeing it but disregarded it because it didn't apply to me.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 PM

Sorry for the delay, I just finished moving. Luckily I didn't trash the manual.

Here are the relevant Toyota pages from the "reference manual". The instruction manual is available online at this link: http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/owners/1284540_OM.pdf. Should be able to click on the pictures for the full size.

Last edited by Jeff D; 06-30-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Wow! fantastic Jeff! Thanks very much... looking at that it would seem that it would be a very simple splice in install for the VSS, Tach and so on but the factory steering wheel switch would be impossible to use since the factory system uses only two wires and a resistor "tree" to control the system through the CCU computer and the audiovox system uses a 4 wire individually switched system. Still a very useful mod and affordable mod. How did you set up the brake/clutch switches? I guess the brake one goes on the brake light switch but you rarely push the clutch to the floor triggering the clutch start switch when shifting regularly... how'd you get around this? Wait a min. never mind yours is an auto right? Guess I'll give the tech line a call...

Last edited by aviator; 06-30-2009 at 05:56 PM.