Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Anyone have original mud flaps? I Need patterns.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have original mud flaps? I Need patterns.

I'm looking into making reissue replica mud flaps. My first step is to obtain an accurate tracing of one front and one rear original mud flap. Second step, obtain the material and cut them out. Third step, accurately screenprint the toyota logo on them and punch the holes.

Folks can already see my skill and passion for making restoration parts in my thread for replica shifter boots: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...3&goto=newpost

And there are ridiculous prices on used ones on ebay auctions- $325 for a pair of rear mud flaps?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1982-To...VWoOqD&vxp=mtr
Oh, how about $200 instead?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1983-To...5T25jy&vxp=mtr
These people are nuts. I just want to produce a few reasonably accurate, sensibly priced replicas, and will pay you for your time and shipping if you have the time to spare in tracing your originals. In the mean time, I'm going to see if I can source some similar material, or may resort to buying truck mud flaps of a larger size and cutting from those.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud flaps

I have a extra set of rear ones, came of the 83 4x4, and have front still on the 82. I noticed the material on my 80 is slightly different.
Let me know,
Also how is the tan leather boot coming along?
Brad
Old 02-28-2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2manytables
I have a extra set of rear ones, came of the 83 4x4, and have front still on the 82. I noticed the material on my 80 is slightly different.
Let me know,
Brad
As long as they are one front and one rear that are original to '79-'83, I believe they should be correct. I might have to do some research into if there were any changes in shape or dimensions. The purpose won't be to make exact 100% correct replicas- it would be cost prohibitive to get the raised letters. I think they will be good enough for most people with the white screenprinted TOYOTA.

About the shifter boot, sorry! I didn't realize you had sent funds already since there was no reply post about it (I am apparently not linked to receive e-mail notifications of payments either, also my bad). I did get the tan leather anyway, and can start making it today. I did find out that shipping is $15, but I quoted $5, and am late making it and want mud flap patterns, so we'll make some sort of alternative deal I suppose. I think you can e-mail me privately through my profile here.

Last edited by zombie_stomp; 02-28-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I let two beds go a few weeks ago, both with mud flaps. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price of those.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:09 PM

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people would like to smack the seller silly with a ridiculous price tag like that. They could have at least cleaned, repainted the white letters, and armor-alled them and sell them for like $100 or something.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 282 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by zombie_stomp
I'm looking into making reissue replica mud flaps. My first step is to obtain an accurate tracing of one front and one rear original mud flap. Second step, obtain the material and cut them out. Third step, accurately screenprint the toyota logo on them and punch the holes.

Folks can already see my skill and passion for making restoration parts in my thread for replica shifter boots: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...3&goto=newpost

And there are ridiculous prices on used ones on ebay auctions- $325 for a pair of rear mud flaps?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1982-To...VWoOqD&vxp=mtr
Oh, how about $200 instead?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1983-To...5T25jy&vxp=mtr
These people are nuts. I just want to produce a few reasonably accurate, sensibly priced replicas, and will pay you for your time and shipping if you have the time to spare in tracing your originals. In the mean time, I'm going to see if I can source some similar material, or may resort to buying truck mud flaps of a larger size and cutting from those.
WOW .. that dude is "out to lunch" !!!

Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2manytables
Let me know,
Brad
I sent an e-mail to your paypal email address. The boot is ready.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm not willing to cough up my front mud flaps, but I could trace them and send them over to you if you want.

There is also a nice set of front mud flaps somewhere in the postal system between Maryland and British Columbia from where they lost a set that I shipped to Corey a while ago....
Old 02-29-2016, 08:03 AM

I think few people are willing to "cough up" any front mud flaps, which is why those of us without are in need of these replicas I plan on making. I just hope non-raised lettering is good enough to sell a few sets.

Looks like Brad is going to trace a set for me- it wouldn't hurt to have more than one pattern to refer to though. Either of you guys need snail mail address, PM me or e-mail zombieautomaton@gmail.com Send paypal requests for funding your tracing and crayon rubbing endeavors to createstuf@hotmail.com

I'm not too high tech, but if it would print on a piece of legal paper or overlapping pieces of paper and one of you knows how to make a digital file of that, I wouldn't be opposed to that either. I'm old school myself though. Folded or rolled, if it mails, it works better.

Lettering! let's not forget to get a crayon rubbing of that. I need that for screenprinting. Any raised border stripes that are or possibly were painted white from the factory should be included if possible. This is where I will resort to digital remastering wizardry- even if I have to pay my buddy to do it.

As for the lost set- the postal guys probably stole them and are the ones selling them on e-bay! Bastards!!

Last edited by zombie_stomp; 02-29-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 282 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by kawazx636

There is also a nice set of front mud flaps somewhere in the postal system between Maryland and British Columbia from where they lost a set that I shipped to Corey a while ago....

still lost in transit as well I guess , they never did show up ...

Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 PM

Still haven't gotten anyone to send me patterns, but then again still haven't gone to the rubber supplier to check for material. In addition to an accurate tracing of one front and one rear flap, I'd like a good scan of the toyota logo(s) or a good straight-on photo, and then one with a tape measure across the flap so I know what size to print it and how it is centered.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Interested in a set of reproduction 4WD mud flaps front & rear for my 1985 4runner if this ever materializes. Been wanting to do a set myself if I had a pattern.