Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

3 broken rings, 1 piston and spun bearings - Options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006 | 09:39 AM

3 broken rings, 1 piston and spun bearings - Options?

I picked up that 1980 Pickup a few days ago (got it for what i thought was a good price, way lower than what he wanted), it has a 10" lift, 35" BFG MTs, lockers, 35k on a rebuilt motor, and a few other things...

Two hours later we're driving down the highway doing 65 and I notice that I can't see ???? behind us, it's 100% smoke... we pull over and...

Sweet. Have it towed home and we start ripping ???? apart.

Turns out it was the gasket at the front of the crank, cheap fix - right? Oh wait, no. I start it up and drives it around the massive dirt lot beside my house and it starts rod knocking/spun bearing noise like ***k so..... ????. We pull the oil pan because I assume it's a spun bearing

Oh, cool. God damn bearing ????, ring, and piston. Rebuilt engine 36k miles ago?

Wtf. Looks like cyl 1 rings (at the least) are screwed. Time to tear it apart.

Valve cover off, cam looks scarred pretty badly.

Pulling the intake mani off, someone ported the head. It has a 22r block with a 20r head.

Head off. Well, that doesn't look good. Where is the ring?

Bearing is eaten.

????ing awesome. Yes, that's a hole in the piston. Oh, and the pistons are from 93 - according to the markings cast. 36k miles since 93. What the christ?

Bearings for piston number 4. Raped.

At this point we quit for the night since it was 2am... So where do we go from here? Rebuild the engine, throw a ford/chevy small block in it, get a dead stock Pickup and swap the suspension/other minor things, or what? Money is a pretty big concern so a new shortblock is well out of the question. I assume that this block will now need machining, along with probably a slight overbore which I guess will get expensive.
Old 12-15-2006 | 10:02 AM

Is there any actual damage to the block? It would probly be better if you just throw in another engine... Dude, that sucks.
Old 12-15-2006 | 10:17 AM

It looks like there is damage to the block...

I could swap in another stock, used engine, try to rebuild this one, swap in a different engine, or buy a manufactured one.

I think I need to get an entirely new engine or something. I also found more issues with the truck (i got so screwed) so i was thinking about buying a stock truck with a good motor and then swapping the good parts off of this truck onto that one.

Either way, im not in a real good position
Old 12-15-2006 | 11:33 AM

Yeah... Sorry to hear it. It may be cheaper to just buy another one and get down to swapping.
Old 12-15-2006 | 11:45 AM

Yea, its so hard to find trucks with low miles/ a good engine though. Im looking...i should probably just keep looking for a while before i do anything to see if anything pops up.

Another option:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22R-2...QQcmdZViewItem

Think that would be a good idea?
Old 12-15-2006 | 11:58 AM

This one actually seems better...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22R-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Idk if i would go this route tho...
Old 12-15-2006 | 12:39 PM

new engine time. id start fresh.

i wish i could fit in the engine bay like that
Originally Posted by Cactice
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:07 PM

get a bone yard 22r and spend your time rebuilding that one.

i wouldnt mess with the current block/crank.
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:39 PM

How else did you get screwed over? What else is boned?
Old 12-15-2006 | 02:28 PM

Yea, I'm thinking new engine time too.

The body is more screwed up than i thought, you can tell its been rolled. I didn't think to look at the roof before i bought the pos and its so damn high i didnt notice. The seats only have two mounting bolts cause apparently they are from a different. Then the wiring in the engine bay is like WTFFF i didnt notice this until the battery fell out when i was taking around the yard the other day and then had to rewire a few things. There are wirings that go no where and its full of half ass ????. I got totally jacked, which i suppose is my fault...... However, that is why i was thinking of getting a stock one and swapping the good stuff over
Old 12-15-2006 | 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
new engine time. id start fresh.

i wish i could fit in the engine bay like that
hahaha yea its not too roomy in there i was standing on a crate to be at the right height and it slipped out and i almost died on the that thing where the fan attaches haha
Old 12-15-2006 | 11:17 PM

Anyone know a good place to get a longblock from?
Old 12-16-2006 | 04:26 AM

LC engineering?!
Old 12-16-2006 | 06:48 AM

It sounds like a diamond in the rough dude. You've got a lift, tires, lockers, hopefully good internals on the diffs and tranny and the frame should be solid. If the lift and suspension is good, then I'd scrounge some junkyards and craigslist to find a new engine. I don't know what access to what tools you have. With a little work though (ok maybe quite a bit) it sounds like you can turn it into a solid 4x4.

The wiring being shot is better off IMO anyway. Now you can do it all yourself (PITA) but you can wire up extra lights and stuff in the process and you'll know it's done to your standards. Makes troubleshooting a lot easier too later on.

Looks like Jasper Engines will run you about $1800.

LCEngineering looks like the cheapest is about $1866.

remanufactured.com looks to be about $1400.

precisionmasterengines.com will run you $1188 and promises to beat any price on the web by 10%.

just yahoo or google 22r long blocks......
Old 12-16-2006 | 09:21 PM

just get a complete JDM engine that is imported from japan. they never havce more then 60k on em. and a complete engine with head is liek 200 bucks.
Old 12-16-2006 | 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
just get a complete JDM engine that is imported from japan. they never havce more then 60k on em. and a complete engine with head is liek 200 bucks.
Sweet! Where could i get one from?
Old 12-16-2006 | 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cactice
Sweet! Where could i get one from?
but aren't they 21ru's? they are just turds for power..
Old 12-17-2006 | 10:41 PM

Sorry it takes me so long to reply, I was working on the truck all day yesterday and today; just stopped now. Since I can't drive it I decided to fix everything that I don't like on it and redo everything. We bobbed the back end today...cut it right after the rear shackles. I am going to build a some time of flat bed with a spare tire mount a tool box and perhaps a fuel cell. I also pulled about 150 feet of unnecessary wire out (the guy ghetto rigged the whole truck) and we started fixing the body. The body had ripples on the side and roof because it was, apparently, flopped so we push out/in a lot of it and then use bondo to make it smooth. I plan to paint it this week or by the end of next weekend.

I am still not sure what I am going to do about the engine... I'm not going to rebuild anything, I am pretty sure of that. However, I was considering a 350 swap...but that means that I would have to wait till I get all that money together....not sure yet.. Thanks for the help guys
Old 12-21-2006 | 11:41 PM

Ok. I have decided that I am not going to rebuild the engine. I am thinking about a 350 swap which means that I can sell all of the engine components that I have now which would include the following: Weber Carb, 22r Block, 20r ported and polished head, intake manifold, headman headers, flowmaster exhaust, 4 speed manual tranny and anything else that I won't need for a 350 swap. How much do you think I could sell this stuff for?
Old 12-22-2006 | 01:21 PM

Tree Fitty

Quick Reply: 3 broken rings, 1 piston and spun bearings - Options?