Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1981 truck lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 truck lift

I am looking for a good lift for a good price. I have been looking at some stuff from Downey and was curious if anybody else had it. My mom asked ORW and they said about $1200 for the lift which included everything needed and double shock hoop with bilsteins. Then I would have to pay to get it installed. What all would I need to make a good lift?
My truck is an '81, 2wd, IFS.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 PM

Location: I live in Red Bluff ca. Right by the Sacramento river
Ive never seen a lift for 2wd first gens. not saying they dont have em. If your gonna pay 1200 for a lift, why not just do a SAS? Im pretty sure you could ge it done for 1200. Then you would have 4x4 plus a lift.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you tell them your truck is 2WD? Ive never heard of a lift for a 2wd first gen. $1200 sounds like a 4x4 lift kit.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:21 AM

your pretty limited on the lifts kits out there for a pre 84 5 lug truck. heres the downey

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...s/1979-95.html
Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 81redbluffyota
Ive never seen a lift for 2wd first gens. not saying they dont have em. If your gonna pay 1200 for a lift, why not just do a SAS? Im pretty sure you could ge it done for 1200. Then you would have 4x4 plus a lift.
Are you high? You can't SAS a 4wd for $1200.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Banned fruitloop

Sas

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
I must be High
Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
your pretty limited on the lifts kits out there for a pre 84 5 lug truck. heres the downey

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...s/1979-95.html
I plan on getting
for the front: control arms, ball joints, and torsion bars
the rear: new springs, and shackles
what else would I need to complete a lift?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Banned fruitloop

More

Driveline.
Break lines.
Different truck ( you can probably buy one for 1200 bucks)!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
What, sure you can.. Stock height to 3"-4" lift anyway..

Solid Axle: $200 used
Springs: $50 used
Brake lines: $50 new
Driveshaft: $50 Used
Spring hanger: Under $10 (Make yourself)
Shackles: Under $10 (Make yourself)
Shock towers: $40 new

Steering is probably the most expensive since you already have the IFS steering box might aswell go high steer ($300) or just a basic crossover if its on the cheap.

Id say its do able for under $600 on a 4x4, On a 2wd.. thats another story, and if your paying someone to do the work, Forget about it.

I had no idea Downey made 2wd lift kits, Thats awesome!.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:40 AM

When I add it up from Downey it comes out to $853.13, but then I would neeed to get shocks and brake lines.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Island_Yota
What, sure you can.. Stock height to 3"-4" lift anyway..

Solid Axle: $200 used
Springs: $50 used
Brake lines: $50 new
Driveshaft: $50 Used
Spring hanger: Under $10 (Make yourself)
Shackles: Under $10 (Make yourself)
Shock towers: $40 new

Steering is probably the most expensive since you already have the IFS steering box might aswell go high steer ($300) or just a basic crossover if its on the cheap.

Id say its do able for under $600 on a 4x4, On a 2wd.. thats another story, and if your paying someone to do the work, Forget about it.

I had no idea Downey made 2wd lift kits, Thats awesome!.
Assuming you are a good fabricator and have all the tools to cut the front hangers, and are okay with really crappy results. I've seen em done cheap. They get the truck down the road, but it isn't pretty, nor have they looked particularly safe.

In addition, you left out anything to make the axle not leak, as in gaskets and seals, you left out gearing in the event that it is different. Also shocks.

And lastly, that list is if EVERY little thing goes absolutely perfect, and you find used parts with GOOD hardware that aren't rusted.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Assuming you are a good fabricator and have all the tools to cut the front hangers, and are okay with really crappy results. I've seen em done cheap. They get the truck down the road, but it isn't pretty, nor have they looked particularly safe.

In addition, you left out anything to make the axle not leak, as in gaskets and seals, you left out gearing in the event that it is different. Also shocks.

And lastly, that list is if EVERY little thing goes absolutely perfect, and you find used parts with GOOD hardware that aren't rusted.

Good luck.
Exactly. I have more to add but thats another thread.
Lets help this 16y/o kid get HIS rig where he wants it. My opinion AZKid is to get the Downey Grand Slam so you will have everything to work together as a unit, the right way, the first time. If that kit you saw for 1200 has the same components in EVERY way then it's certainly worth a look. If you don't have the $$$ right now, then wait. It will be worth it in the long run.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 PM

Lets help this 16 yo kid out by not having him waste 900 bucks to lift a truck that is prob worth 1500. I dont even want to think of the money I wasted when I was 16 trying to get vehicles looking good. You can easily do a SAS for 1200, granted you do it yourself. You dont have to replace gaskets on your axels. Maybe if your a tight ass. Hell half the toyoas I see drop some sort of fluid on the ground. And if you take your time and measure correctly. And weld right, it will be 100% safe and drive fine. My 81 came stock with a solid axle, and it doesnt FEEL safe at all, but I know that its bolted and welded on there, and my hands on the wheel. I say drive your 2wd around as your town truck, or hauler. And buy a beat up first gen 4x4 for you to lift for 5-800 bucks.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned fruitloop

I agree

Lets help this 16 yo kid out by not having him waste 900 bucks to lift a truck that is prob worth 1500. I dont even want to think of the money I wasted when I was 16 trying to get vehicles looking good. You can easily do a SAS for 1200, granted you do it yourself. You dont have to replace gaskets on your axels. Maybe if your a tight ass. Hell half the toyoas I see drop some sort of fluid on the ground. And if you take your time and measure correctly. And weld right, it will be 100% safe and drive fine. My 81 came stock with a solid axle, and it doesnt FEEL safe at all, but I know that its bolted and welded on there, and my hands on the wheel. I say drive your 2wd around as your town truck, or hauler. And buy a beat up first gen 4x4 for you to lift for 5-800 bucks.

Lets give the kid 2 vehicles for the price he's gonna pay Downey.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Tight ass?

Thanks for the insults and attitude. Its appreciated.

To the OP, looks like the downey kit is your best bet. Hope you enjoy the lift!

Last edited by AxleIke; 12-29-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:30 PM

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. Tight ass......
Old 12-29-2007, 01:44 PM

check out Total Chaos fab. Their kit will lift you about three inches and allow you to run 30 inch tires. and it's bolt on. You willl need a wider rear axle though. It's about 3k for the front and another 2k for the rear, but you can fast in the dirt. The kit WILL outlast your truck. TTORA'S desert guys can help you out more.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:36 PM

OK technically some individuals CAN do an SAS for $1200 but you might as well not have it for the usefulness it will (not) provide. You should also figure in the hours you have involved welding and fabbing at $40-60/hr that most of us would have to pay and see where your cost is. If you can weld and fab, great, more power to you. That doesn't change the fact that most of us on here can't, and throwing out a statement like "you can SAS for $1200" is disingenuous.

Your point that he shouldn't drop $900 on a $1500 truck is valid, but likely immaterial to this discussion. He is probably going to do something regardless of whether we advise against it. He didn't ask "should I lift", he asked "what lift". Any of this stuff we do to our trucks is NOT cost effective. Sure, the official line should be "Don't do it AZkid". Per your post it sounds like you couldn't heed your own advice when you were 16 either.

Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
Lets give the kid 2 vehicles for the price he's gonna pay Downey.

Sure, every parents dream. 2 vehicles. 2 insurance premiums. 2 licenses and registrations. 2 potential money pits. 2 oil stains in the driveway. Do you have driving age children? I bet... no.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. Tight ass......
Apology Accepted....Jerk!! LOL

Nah, didn't hurt my feelings.

I agree that SAS's can be done cheap. But they shouldn't be. Its just a principle thing for me. If you are going to upgrade, then do it right, once, and as strong as possible. Then again, I try not to offer my opinion much, as I don't believe a swap with a stock axle housing is really an upgrade.

I also agree that a 16 yo kid shouldn't be lifting his truck, or blowing money on it. It'll likely be wrecked inside of two years, as most 16yo's cars are.

If it were me, I'd just run it as is. However, knowing how easy it is to talk to a 16 yo (sarcasm) I figured we might as well give him his options. Hopefully he will see that 900 would be better spent on savings, or dates with women, or just about anything but a truck...LOL
Old 12-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

You never said what your final goal was for the lift. What size tires are you trying to run? Why not just save a ton of money and get a inexpensive body lift?

Quick Reply: 1981 truck lift