Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Best tools to own?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive got a mix of craftsman and Snap-on stuff. Most of my trail stuff is craftsman all my snap-on stuff stays home for more didicated wrenching jobs.

I tend to buy my snap-on from the pawnshop. cheeper but with the high quality of the tool im never worried about it.

I even have some HF stuff (pitsburg impact sockets that have been GREAT) so it all depends....
Old 12-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harbor freight
Old 12-07-2005, 01:59 PM

Those work really well, too!!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
I'm gonna piggy-back on this thread a bit. I have mostly craftsman stuff because of the warranty and convenience of Sears. For those of you who have used the pro grade stuff, how do you feel about Craftsman... is Snap on or whatever really THAT much better?

Also, Lowes carries Kobalt tools - I've though about picking up a ratchet/socket set from them as they are made/owned by Snap on. Anyone tried Kobalt stuff?
I happen to have a set of Professional Craftsmen "long beam" wrenches in metric. I really really enjoy wrenching with them. Great feeling, just as good as my Mac Knucklesavers to be honest. They are a bit long sometimes which is a hinderance in tight places. Overall, yes I do believe Snap handtools are better. The Snap-on wrenches, (I have used extensively) have the most superior open-end than any other wrench available. They will reduce the rounding of fastners by a large margin over ALL other brands. Just some things to think about....

The remodeling/construction crew I work for
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard that the Lowes brand ( Kobalt) is made by Snap-on. They look almost the same and are pretty nice! Personally, I use Craftsman, but I am no a professional. If I did it for a living, I would begin building a complet set of Snap-On.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:30 AM

I've delt with 3 strapon trucks/drivers in my wrenching lifetime and they were all a PITA. If I use a regular socket in my impact wrench and it splits it in 2 parts; I can take it to the snap on truck and he won't replace it because I abused it. The pimple faced 16 year old at Sears couldn't care less how I broke it. That was just an example, I've had nothing but problems getting broken tools replaced by snapon.

Snapon does make some tools that you can't find anywhere else and their tools are quality.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have worked in two shops.

Most of the guys who wrench every day have Snap-On, Mac and Matco.

I LOVE Snap-On tools. In the hand, all day, the are the best thing I have ever messed with. They are spendy though. Both Snap-On guys I dealt with were great.

Comparing Craftsman to Snap-On is like saying Keystone Light and Guiness are the same beer. Both get the job done, but if you are drinking as a pro, there is only one choice.

All of my trail/personal tools are Craftsman. Why? Cheap, available and abusable. I can borrow the nice stuff at the shop when it is a long gig, but use the lesser stuff when I have to.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:43 PM

Snapon Snapoff. No warranty on snapon tools unless your district salesman wants to eat the tool. He will only get partial reimbursment from snapon on defective items. No credit for worn out or missused tools. Tip of a phillips screw driver shattered, better have all the tiny pieces. Break to many tools and your snapon truck driver will cease stopping by your shop. The snapon corporation could careless if you can't get your local salesman to take returns, they certainly won't.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Comparing Craftsman to Snap-On is like saying Keystone Light and Guiness are the same beer. Both get the job done, but if you are drinking as a pro, there is only one choice.
BRILLIANT!
craftsman-simply because of availability and ease of replacement. snap-on for the more distinct (=$$) or unique tool that nobody else has. and i guess im olskool cuz i have so many cornwell odd ball bits (which have never broke either), but the only truck i know of is in santa barbara.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
Yeah, but you can find a sears everywhere, and i would hate running after that darn truck all the time.
It gets old running back and forth when you keep breaking the ratchets.

Im going to be the oddball here who wrenches with SK. I do have quite a bit of craftsman stuff, but those are the tools that get put into trail boxes and in my truck, because if i loose it or it gets stolen its not a big loss. Ive been very happy with my SK stuff, it isn't cheap but it isnt quite as much as Snap On either. I must say that i do like the snap on ratchets, and am considering picking up a couple in the future, though the new SK ratchets look nice as well. I have yet to break any SK tools, but if i were to break them, all i have to do is run across town to Berlands and get it replaced, vs running 45min and dealing with crappy traffic to replace the craftsman.

Last edited by joez; 12-31-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

I too like SK tools, don't have very many most are craftsmans but I prefer the feel of the SK wrenches and ratchets. Plus the truck is always parked near my school so its easy to find if I need something
Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 PM

I have a mix set of craftsman,husky,snap-on,and a cheap set of screw drivers that my bro. gave me (i think that he got them from the dollar store cause I only have one left the break WAY fast but he is 6 so it oh k) I really like my husky and snap-on tools but i am wanting to get a set of the Kobalt tools cause i have heard really good things about them
Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM

i have mostly craftsman tools simply because it is what I can afford. i have some harbor freight tools if it is something i will only use a couple times and wont break too easily.
if I break a tool more than once I replace it with snap on or mac. i only have 1 mac tool and nothing snap on so far.
i am fairly abusive on tools too. like using the open end of a wrench with a breaker bar slipped over it.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 PM

snap on tools don't break easily. any tool that won't break with hand use or abuse is good enough for me. Any chrome socket will break in an impact gun if you use it hard enough. If a tool breaks in your hands you may get injured and you probably won't get the job done with that tool. I like tools that don't break made in America. The tool dealers can be cool or jackasses. I've gone to other Snap on guys routes to avoid the jerk that comes to my shop.
As far as the warranty goes I have had good luck with my guy. He even goes out of his way to bring me a needed tool or a warranty replacement. Yeah I pay him $20-$50 a week and will for years to come but hey, gotta get the job done.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by joez
It gets old running back and forth when you keep breaking the ratchets.
+1 on that.

I need to run my (second!) 3/8" ratchet in for replacement, as well as my 1/2" drive breaker bar (about 20" long, pivot pin wants to fall out).

I might do that tomorrow morning since I have some other errands to run.

On the other hand, yeah, they're fairly cheap and generally acceptable quality for home wrenching.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 PM

Stanley.

they're cheap, and have a warranty.

Craftsman aren't what they used to be, sears isn't sears anymore, it's KMart, and it's easier to find a wal-mart to return a stanley to than it is to find a Sears.

snap-on's are for vain mechanics that feel they have something to prove to the other mechanics in the shop. all they are proving is poor money management.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by EviL inside
Stanley.

they're cheap, and have a warranty.

Craftsman aren't what they used to be, sears isn't sears anymore, it's KMart, and it's easier to find a wal-mart to return a stanley to than it is to find a Sears.

snap-on's are for vain mechanics that feel they have something to prove to the other mechanics in the shop. all they are proving is poor money management.
this will be interesting
Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 PM

when i worked at Bobcat Co. the entire plant used proto tools. I believe stanley makes them. they where very tough hand tools. not pretty or ergonomic or anything. just really tough.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 PM

I use all Snap-On,Mac,Cornwell,Matco,Craftsman,SK all good
Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by 88alltrac
when i worked at Bobcat Co. the entire plant used proto tools. I believe stanley makes them. they where very tough hand tools. not pretty or ergonomic or anything. just really tough.
My tool guy said that Stanley owns MAC Tools!

Quick Reply: Best tools to own?