Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New "BruceTS" style 3rd Gen 4Runner rear bumpers

Old 04-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Man this was the worst joke ever..
I'd like to think it was the best April Fools joke ever pulled off on this board......

I'm seriously considering having someone produce the bumper, I spoke with Tom on his design, hopefully he'll change his mind and start production. He likes some of the design characteristics of mine and it wouldn't be difficult to incorporate them into his. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and see if he's intrested.

Mojo_Risin, at the time I designed mine there was only one bumper I liked and that was the TrailCarnage's. I've tried to get Jason Demello to copy it, but lately he's been quite busy with other projects, besides I think he's more into fabricating tube type bumpers over working with sheetmetal.

Last edited by BruceTS; 06-02-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

Originally Posted by BruceTS
I'd like to think it was the best April Fools joke ever pulled off on this board......

Thank You, Thank You. I'm available for weddings and Bar Mitzvahs too, folks.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Dont worry guys, I got calrockx back already for ya
Old 04-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Details, details, you can't somebody and not fill us in on it.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
Dont worry guys, I got calrockx back already for ya
funny thing is, i half knew it was a joke, but i decided to play it safe. it's okay, karma still has to get you back shazad. funnier thing is i was fooled by a similar joke before.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

you know I was going to say I think this is the secodn time you fell for the same one
Old 04-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah being on the ouside of an inside joke sucks. , Ah well cheers to jokes and pranks in good nature
Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Crux
Nice design - any better pics of it mounted on a 4Runner?
There's plenty of pictures, here's one showing how well they clear when dropping off a rock and another showing a back view.

The first time I ever went out to the Hammers I dented in my stock bumper, having the tapered sides have kept me from even comming in contact, note how much clearance I still have.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:56 AM

Is that using the stock rubber piece from the original bumper?
Damn, that is a nice bumper - looks good as well as functional.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:14 AM

If it is not a joke someday... I want one!!! --- Hmm... Is there a market for the bumper or what???
Old 04-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Here's a list of all the attached photo's from all threads in this forum on my bumper, including the build-up;

https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2417
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2418
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2419
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2827
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2369
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2366
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2360
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2347
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2346
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2345
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2342
https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....achmentid=2341

Here's a link to the actual Bumper Build-Up
Old 04-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

does your tailpipe clear the inner lip of the side flare when removing??
Does the side flare "flex" when you remove so it clears??

Thanks...
Old 04-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
does your tailpipe clear the inner lip of the side flare when removing??
Does the side flare "flex" when you remove so it clears??

Thanks...
the tailpipe curves downward, so taking off the bumper is quite easy. A few jacks stands, then remove the 8 mounting bolts and it drops down. It's a one man operation to remove or install it. Even after all the pounding it took there was no problems refitting it after I finished painting. Considering the openning through the side is 4 1/4" and the pipe is 2.5 there was no issue of hitting. I assume when you say "side flare" you mean the side wings on the bumper?

Old 04-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

the tailpipe curves downward, so taking off the bumper is quite easy. A few jacks stands, then remove the 8 mounting bolts and it drops down. It's a one man operation to remove or install it. Even after all the pounding it took there was no problems refitting it after I finished painting. Considering the openning through the side is 4 1/4" and the pipe is 2.5 there was no issue of hitting. I assume when you say "side flare" you mean the side wings on the bumper?
my opening is 3", which I am going to enlarge. The problem is my tailpipe sticks out a tad past the side wing/flare. I did this so the exhaust wouldn't blacken my bumper (once it gets painted) Now I either have to fill the hole and have it exits down, trim the tailpipe to sit back in more, or modify the inner side wing to clear the pipe.

As always thanks for your input

--Eric
Old 05-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

OK, I had a chat with a manufacturer on getting the parts laser cut and bent, until I actually get a CAD file done, I can't promise anything. I'll just say that the cost to get it done was half of what I thought it would be. The design will change to make it easier to install on rigs with up to 2" of body lift. I'm currently considering, not having the trailer hitch, but you'll still be able to use the factory one.

For now the total different laser cut pieces to assemble the bumper is 4 with 4 bends on a brake, but after the redesign it may go up a few parts.

I figured I'd toss this out to everyone for their input, before I proceed

The bumper will be made out of 11 guage (1/8") same as TJM or ARB

My original design used a 2x4x3/16" tube for the main beam, but the new design will be a "C" channel bent out of the same 11 guage, unless the trailer hitch is incorporated. There will still be shackle hangers attached, but will go through the bumper and welded to the frame mounts as well.

Some have questioned the actual strength of the bumper, my answer is if TJM or ARB's can handle most situations then there is no need to go heavier.

I'm still trying to decide if I should incorporate the stock plastic shroud or fill it in with a top plate. The goal is to make an affordable, easily adjustable, high clearance bumper for the average wheeler. Retail target price of under $500 is still possible.

BTW I've had a few offers to get the complete bumper produce and I'd get a royaity on sales, but this would raise the actual retail price, so for now I'll just try and do most of the work myself. If I can't get the AutoCAD file done soon, I was given a name of someone to do it for me, I'll have to find out the cost and see if it would be worth it.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:44 PM

I'm still trying to decide if I should incorporate the stock plastic shroud or fill it in with a top plate. The goal is to make an affordable, easily adjustable, high clearance bumper for the average wheeler. Retail target price of under $500 is still possible.
wow, that price is cool!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

I can also do AutoCAD, I just need to brush up on it.

Also, I vote for having a hitch and using the stock plastic insert. I imagine this is because I 1) don't have the factory hitch and 2) I want a hitch. also, the plastic insert give a very clean, professional, stock look. I think it really makes the bumper.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Contributing Member

It seems you've got the gauge and revised structural design pretty much set for this bumper.
From what I've seen, this bumper has a proven design. It does the job intended. Other bumper designs work well too. All the fabbed rear 3rd gen bumpers seem to offer much more protection than the stock unit. For those that don't buy your bumper based on the school of thought that angled corners work best, it's gonna be based on form.

What's left are minor issues such as retaining the stock plastic insert and a hitch.
I say keep em both.
That this bumper can work with that insert is one of its competitive advantages.
As for the hitch, I know I'd like one. As long as it's proven structurally sound and reliable, why not? Not that I regularly tow anything, but it's nice to have the capability when that need arises, and without having to deal with a separate hitch.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
What's left are minor issues such as retaining the stock plastic insert and a hitch.
I say keep em both.
That this bumper can work with that insert is one of its competitive advantages.
As for the hitch, I know I'd like one. As long as it's proven structurally sound and reliable, why not? Not that I regularly tow anything, but it's nice to have the capability when that need arises, and without having to deal with a separate hitch.
Totally agree! I usually have an aluminum cargo carrier attached to my hitch during the Fall/Winter months (while hunting season's in). Plus I use it and a bike rack numerous times throughout the year to haul stuff.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:25 AM

A built-in hitch to the bumper would be nice, but only if a 285 spare tire would still fit underneath.
I, personally, really don't want a big old tire hanging off the back or up on the roof.

Keep us posted - I know I'll be in the market for a rear bumper this summer!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

You know my feelings regarding your bumper Bruce.
I love the thing! Keep the hitch (it improves ground clearance , approach angle and allows for a larger under-car spare). Keep the plastic cover too (it gives your bumper a smoother transition with the original design and looks great).

I missed the thread on April 1st. I am glad I did, I would have been hyperventelating...
Bruce, Make sure you call me when this happens.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

what else would be cool is to have some recessed allen bolt slots on the side wings. these could be used to attach some temporary bolt on extra tubing for protection while wheeling. that way these extra "sliders" could easily be taken on and off, and while off the bumper would still have a smooth, clean appearance.
Attached Thumbnails New "BruceTS" style 3rd Gen 4Runner rear bumpers-bumperon2.jpg  
Old 05-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

I've been looking into making this bumper more user friendly by having the frame mounts separate from the bumper and using bolts similar to the way the TJM bumper mounts. Considering the 8 bolts on the front bumper holds strong enough to winch, I can't see any problems doing something similar for the rear. By making it this way, the bumper can be adjusted for 0-2" of body lift. It will be made so a 35" spare will clear the bumper, if you want to do the modifications to the frame, making one fit.

The reason why I was thinking about leaving out the stock plastic shroud is a slight rubbing issue with the rear hatch that can wear off the paint, something many users won't like. The stock bumper mounts to the body, so it doesn't move when the body flexes on the frame. The frame can deflect up to 2" if not more, so the shroud will come in contact.

I added a 1" weather stripping trim to the bumper that acts as a bumpstop and has prevented contact with the body, plus it hides the gap very well.

Another option is the exhaust port, should I leave it in or just weld in the ring and leave it as an option, so the end user can cut it out if needed.

The way the side wings are currently made, they clear 35" tires, but still follows the factory wheel well openining and shouldn't need to be changed for the different flare options.

Ok the trailer hitch will be installed, but it'll be stamped with a low rating or possibly "offroad Use only"

Another reason why I'm seriously thinking about producing this, is to be able to write-off my trips and all the stuff I buy. Getting a small business license is easy way out.

As for adding some bolt on tubes for additional protection this can be added quite easily in the future.

I have AutoCAD 2002 program and I'm very rusty on it's usage, considering I don't have much time, this portion might just be out sourced as well.

The bumper will probably be sent out for powder coating as well and I'm looking at building 20 bumpers in the first run to keep the cost down. Also looking at making this in a kit form, that the end user could simply weld together. This way I won't have to worry about the liability issues.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mark_fit
vote for having a hitch and using the stock plastic insert

i want/need one of these..
Ditto!!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Bruce,
I have always liked the design of your bumper. More power to you if you decide to produce these. I may actually want/need one...

What is the approximate weight?

My vote is to incorporate the plastic bumper trim, which may mean changing the design clearances slightly.

Andreas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New "BruceTS" style 3rd Gen 4Runner rear bumpers