Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you work all these levers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you work all these levers?

I finally got my act together and went to a high speed connection, so here are some pics of the new auto tranny and Dual Ultimate that reside behind the 3.4 in my 95.

The long and short of it is I really like all the choices. I went with a Front Range twin stick so I could choose which case was in low and 2 or 4 all independently. It is great to still have stock low range. I used 4.7 low a lot in Colorado and plan to again in Moab. Double low is really obscenely low, but I did use it a couple times. Once when Jim told me to slow down and once when I thought I was going to lay the truck down.

In double low, the brakes barely work and the gas does not. Brown told me to hurry up and standing on the gas in double low only binds up the driveline.

With a factor of 2 for the torque convertor, I am at 312:1 which is plenty slow enough for me. I now have more than enough choices for going up and down just about anything.

To my surprise, I did not break any CV's over 3 days of pretty intense wheeling on the shakedown for this. At full stuff and steering lock in double low, I just crept forward. Same in full extension. I did drive smart and leave the ARB open for backing, etc.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:15 PM

Oh yeah, the pics...

Here is the new console with 4 levers to compliment the two magic buttons. The Marlin cover on the front lever popped out on Holy Cross, so I am hunting down some cool new shift knobs.

And lucky number 2034. I briefly owned MC07 2000, but it leaked.

The whole assembly...
Old 09-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Not that way

Not to be taken the wrong way, but I have stick envy!

Originally Posted by Flygt
I went with a Front Range twin stick so I could choose which case was in low and 2 or 4 all independently.
I'm not sure I entirely understand why you did this. Elaborate some more please.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty simple, to have two different 2wd lows to choose from. I run most of my trails in some form of 2wd low only rarely shifting into 4wd. Sometimes 2.28 low is just fine, sometimes it is too fast so 4.7 low is better.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:49 PM

Yeah, as Dave said the twin stick allows a person to only engage 4wd when it is "necessary"

One stick shifts 1:1, N, 2.28:1
One stick shifts 1:1, N 4.7:1
One stick shifts 2wd, 4wd.
One stick is the auto tranny.

So all of my levers go front to back, no J pattern. Without the twin stick, the conventional wisdom gives you 1:1 2wd, 1:1 4wd, or 4.7:1 4wd. It just lets me do the parking lot trick without worrying about if my hubs are locked.

Some of Holy Cross was 4.7 low and 2wd, not to show off, but to experiment.

When I was towing Scubasteve and needed to turn tight, I could go to 2wd and have some front end freedom.

Also, a place like Moab with super traction, disengaging the front end will be helpful
Old 09-19-2004, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I finally got my act together and went to a high speed connection, so here are some pics of the new auto tranny and Dual Ultimate that reside behind the 3.4 in my 95.

The long and short of it is I really like all the choices. I went with a Front Range twin stick so I could choose which case was in low and 2 or 4 all independently. It is great to still have stock low range. I used 4.7 low a lot in Colorado and plan to again in Moab. Double low is really obscenely low, but I did use it a couple times. Once when Jim told me to slow down and once when I thought I was going to lay the truck down.

In double low, the brakes barely work and the gas does not. Brown told me to hurry up and standing on the gas in double low only binds up the driveline.

With a factor of 2 for the torque convertor, I am at 312:1 which is plenty slow enough for me. I now have more than enough choices for going up and down just about anything.

To my surprise, I did not break any CV's over 3 days of pretty intense wheeling on the shakedown for this. At full stuff and steering lock in double low, I just crept forward. Same in full extension. I did drive smart and leave the ARB open for backing, etc.
thats awesome dude, everytime i see a thread about someone wheelin their dual cases for the first time it makes me wanna not pay any of my bills and buy one, but since thats not possible, ill just have to save up for it like a somewhat responsible member of society its also good to see another IFS rig get the dual case treatment

turner
Old 09-19-2004, 05:12 PM

Hi Adrian! Looking good!! Big time crawler envy...

A couple of questions:

- Is that center console you have pictured the original issue one, or did you get a different one to make everything work?

- Is the lever nearest the auto stick shift the one that shifts you from 2wd to 4wd?

- By going to the gear driven cases in this setup, have you lost the ability to shift "on the fly" into 4H?

And a comment:

The underside of that rig is way too clean for a Wisconson vehicle...
Old 09-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Tada

Thanks for the information guys, most enlightening!

Old 09-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Stick envy. A little OT, but I guess I missed something while I was on travel....I thought the 3.4 swaps didn't work with Auto trans. How hard was that?
Old 09-19-2004, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 95_4X4Runner
Stick envy. A little OT, but I guess I missed something while I was on travel....I thought the 3.4 swaps didn't work with Auto trans. How hard was that?
You can do the auto if you swap the entire drivetrain (engine/trans/ECU).
Old 09-19-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
Hi Adrian! Looking good!! Big time crawler envy...

A couple of questions:

- Is the lever nearest the auto stick shift the one that shifts you from 2wd to 4wd?

- By going to the gear driven cases in this setup, have you lost the ability to shift "on the fly" into 4h?

The shifter nearest the auto shifter should be Hi-N-Lo. I think 4wd is the rear, driver's side shifter.
Assuming he has manual hubs, and that the hubs are locked, you can still shift into 4-Hi "on the fly".

Man looking at all that, and reading the description, really makes me want 4.7s in my rear case. Nice rig.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

im thinking that is a early taco shifter surround for some reason?
Old 09-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

adrian your a freakin college student, where is the money comin from, i have never understood this.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BeaterToyota
I think 4wd is the rear, driver's side shifter.
Passenger side rear.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lookin' good adrian.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
Forward most stick is the front case hi-low slector, left rear stick is rear case hi-low, and right rear is 2wd-4wd.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Banned

thats a nice setup!
Old 09-20-2004, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the kind words.

Shane hit it.

Not sure about your definition of on the fly, but I have to stop and grab neutral to shift cases. I do have manual hubs.

The rig is clean underthere, but that is because both cases, the engine and the tranny are new. The frame has some surface rust, but I will be remedying that.

The back of the console is stock. The front and the shifter are out of a new 4-Runner. I still need to add some diamond plate around the shifters to make it looked finished.

Choose one of these options if funding is a point of concern:
-I robbed a bank
-I sold a kidney, one nut and part of my spleen
-I deal in the immigrant trade and this summer the crop was good
-I sold my soul to the devil
-I had money socked away and acquired some debt

Sorry if I give the impression of a spoiled brat causing the inquiry. I personally fail to see what difference it makes.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Adrian, I failed to mention it previously, but congrats on getting this all completed. Looks good, and no doubt it works good. I admire the visible patience you showed throughout the process, though I know it wasn't easy to deal with. Glad we were able to hook up a couple of the times you were out here, and hope the rest of your stops here are on the leisurely side of things.

Take care,
Darren
Old 09-20-2004, 07:18 PM

Thanks Darren, I was bummed you were not at CO4RJ to check things out in person after sharing in the carting me around duties when I was in town. I plan to be back for good starting the first of Oct., so maybe we can touch bases then.

Quick Reply: How do you work all these levers?