The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Lets see those Custom mud flaps pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets see those Custom mud flaps pics

I just got some new tires on my truck and they are much taller and wider then what I had. I need new mud flaps front and rear now.
I want to see what others have done to get bigger mud flaps on there rigs.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure which vehicle you are running(?)

J.A. has done a nice writeup on these for 3rd gen 4Runners....
Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM

I have an 87 4Runner
It doesn't matter to me what year and model people have. I'm just looking to see what others have done with over sized tires so I can fab up some mud flaps and brackets for my rig. The more ideas I get the better my mud flaps will turn out.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 AM

4crawler had a writeup on this.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/MudFlap.shtml

I bet you could rig something up like that to push it out further a bit

Last edited by 904_runner; 10-24-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just cut the things off all together, mudflaps are ugly
Old 10-24-2008, 09:08 AM

I have read the write up 4crawler did. I like his idea but they are not big enough and they are only for the rear. I had to take off my front ones so my tire will clear and so I now have to replace them too. I don't think his idea will work for the front because I am going to have to mount the mud flaps behind the front wheel well so my tires can clear.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm just trying to avoid a ticket. I work @ Mt. Baker in the winter and there are a lot of Staters on Baker HWY just looking for a reason to pull people over.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by bikerbob
I have read the write up 4crawler did. I like his idea but they are not big enough and they are only for the rear. I had to take off my front ones so my tire will clear and so I now have to replace them too. I don't think his idea will work for the front because I am going to have to mount the mud flaps behind the front wheel well so my tires can clear.
i agree alot on who ever said cutt the damn things off there ugly. but here in washington we have a heighth limit and mud flap law. its gay as hell i know. but its just stupid that we cant go as big as we want. they thing bumpers will stop cars from going under the big trucks. you can weld a peice of metal to your bumper and call it another bumper. its just stupid it wont help.

But 4crawler does havea good idea. i like it too.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Theres laws about that here? Man maybe i made a bad choice cuttin those off lol, i just moved to Washington
edit: its hard to tell what they want cause theres no inspections, in Utah you have to go get an inspection and they test everything and if you even have a light out they tell you better luck next time. Then you have to go wait for 3 hours to get the plates. Here you just go in and get the plates and yer done.

Last edited by algranger; 10-24-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 AM

Sounds like you may need some trimming. In WA, is it necessary to have both front and rear flaps?

For the rear ive seen guys like weld a bar to the frame and have it stick out to where the mud flaps need to be. You might be able to get away with that in the front too.

What size tires did you switch from, then to? To give us an idea how far they stick out. Or if you have a picture.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:30 AM

I went from 31X 10.5 to 33 X 12.5 Both BFG MT

Old 10-24-2008, 09:35 AM

Is it necessary for front flaps?

you might try fender flares if you cannot find flaps
Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 AM

I don't think the fronts are required, but I know i will be spraying a lot of slush, snow and rain this winter if i don't have something.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 AM

yea, you will! I run the same size tires.

Plus youll have to get over practically sandblasting your doors too!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:17 PM

I didn't even think about the sand. They use a lot of it up here on the roads in winter.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 PM

I meant all the rocks you drive over and all the stuff the tires kick up, do a small number on the doors.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those tires are going to be a hand full in the wet packed snowy roads we get up here. Be very carfull the first few times out.

Jeremy
Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbob
I just got some new tires on my truck and they are much taller and wider then what I had. I need new mud flaps front and rear now.
I want to see what others have done to get bigger mud flaps on there rigs.
I would love to show you pic's of the mudflaps I made for my truck, but to be honest I have never figured out how to post pic's here. Every time I try, I fail. I can't get past the part where it asks for me to enter the URL for my image. Can't sem to copy and paste it either.
All I did was go to a welding shop; I bought a sheet of diamond plated aluminum (it wasn't cheap). I measured the width of my rear tires and used tin-snips to cut out that size and then filed the edges down to rounded corners. I used the mudflap brackets that were already on my truck and just removed the actual flaps. I then sized up the fab'd mudflaps where I wanted them and marked them through the existing screw holes. Drilled those out and bolted them down with some of the nicest nuts and bolts that I could find at Tacoma Screw. That was it! They look pretty damn good. I don't have any on my front. I was told that they aren't required on the front. I was pulled over last year for not having wide enough flaps on my rear. He never mentioned that I need them on the front.
If anyone can explain to me how to correctly post a pic in the message reply box, I would be happy to step outside and snap one for you and post it.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Wheelinggnoob: The snow we have here was one of my concerns when I got the tires. I have plans to get them sipped, which will help some, when I get my next alignment done. I learned to drive in snow about 8 years ago up here so a I am familiar with how bad it gets. And how it surprises you with how bad it is sometimes. I should be able get some early season snow driving practice in before the roads get crowded during the holiday season coming up. But thanks for the concern.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:48 PM

I upload all the photos I want to post on photobucket.com first. Then cut and paste the IMG link they give you for the pic in the body of the post. It's that easy.
I would really applicate some photos. I jumped over to pirate 4x4 to see what they had and this is what i found.

I thought this one was funny

I like the ones on the FJ they look the best to me. THe rest get hte job done but they are any eye sore.

Quick Reply: Lets see those Custom mud flaps pics