The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

I made a shift knob/shifter today - thought id share

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made a shift knob/shifter today - thought id share

I don't know if this classifies as fabrication or just good ole boredom. Regardless, I decided to waste an hour or so in the garage today & took some pictures while i was at it... might as well waste a couple minutes of your time too. I wanted to extend my shifter a bit further up (closer to steering wheel), and wanted a new shift knob anyway, so i figured why not kill two birds with one stone. I didn't need to spend the money, so i wondered around the garage looking for material to cannibalize. Enjoy

Oh and sorry its not for a Toyota, its for my daily-driven Honda. I posted this on my typical Honda forum, but you guys are alot more fun and give more love to the "hillbilly fabbers" as they would say.

The usual suspects

A retired jack handle I had laying around (its obviously already cut in this pic). Seems solid enough for a shifter...

Removed the rubber banding w/ a razor (sorry no pics)

Random nuts and washers from one of many misc hardware drawer

A couple tacks around the perimeter should do it for the nut side. Cold welds, whatever ill hit em again later if i need to

Then i boogered in the washer on the bigger end. Probably coulda/shoulda filled the washer hole with something ... but i dont really mind it. Maybe tomorrow

Close-up of the big boogers. Doesnt need to be pretty, Im hitting these with a grinder anyway (dont hate me)

A little grinder action

A little more grinder action

Then some flapper disc magic

A little more flapper action and a random sanding block later

Installed. kinda blurry. Oh vell

Another installed pic. Stupid camera would not focus. You get the point

Took it around the block and the height is right where i wanted it. Hand position is a little weird, but i can get used to it. Nothing ground breaking or awe inspiring, but a "good reason" to waste some time and get out into the garage i suppose. Hope you enjoyed
Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
good work,

is that an EG your rockin?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you sir. No sir, very close, that would actually be an ek, 1996 dx. Sadly my eg was stolen and never recovered a couple years back. In the mean time ive been nickle & diming this one to death, hence this little project

I decided to go ahead and fill in the washer hole today. Boy that sounds weird...

Scrap piece burned in. Trying to "dome" the top of the shifter

After some grinder action it needed a lot of love. I filled in some spots after this shot and put a little more work into making it smooth

Here's a size comparison for you. The pictures from yesterday made it look bigger than it really is

And the final piece. I could put more into making it smoother, but for now its good enough for who its for

Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work! i would clear it, or paint it. That thing would be covered in rust in hours around here.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Cool!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just dont touch your tongue to that in the winter time. lol