The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Another Off Road Trailer Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tub i made has short sides so you can get into it better. I had an M416 and that is one thing i didnt like about it, and the length. I would rather have somebody who needs a truck bed to have it instead of me hacking it up. Plus it was something to say i fabbed up everything on it. So far i ahve $150 into the trailer. I just need to buy my pintle lunette.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by DanStew
Very nice traielr OAtmeal!! I likew that pintle setup, you say it is custom, how did you make it? I tried to make it have spare parts for my rigs, but since i have a jeep and Yota, it was one or the other, and go figure i ended up using wheels that are differnt than both of them. BUT $$ was dictating alot of the build. I was originally going to try and use Jeep spindles but i didnt have time to really make a flange to weld onto the axle tube, and wutie frankly i do not think i could have gotten it true enough to be straight. There are not many trails i will be bringing the trailer with me, but it does allow me to get my camping gear out of the rigs on the way to go camping
Thanks. The rotating lunette eye, believe it or not, was a forged eye bolt I found at Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH)....it had a really long shank with a threaded end, I used a piece of seamless tubing to house it and a nut (with jamb nut to lock it) and spring. It rotates that way and lubed with a zerk fitting. At the time I built it (about twelve years ago) I was working at a custom sheetmetal shop and had use of the shop and machinery anytime I wanted....sure miss that. The tub was formed out of 14 gauge cold rolled steel and the frame out of 2X4 and 4X4 tubing and those are my second set of (16 ga) fenders as my original ones got kind of beat up! It was nice because I would order the steel through the shop (at wholesale ) and they would deliver it. I got the axle and brakes (with the lug pattern of my choice) through a buddy that was the manager of an RV dealership for next to nothing . Tires, wheels and springs.....all stuff I had laying around. All in all I have less than $500 into it but, I don't think I could have built it if I didn't have the connections I did so, kudos to you, you're doing a great job in your garage!
Originally Posted by DanStew
The tub i made has short sides so you can get into it better. I had an M416 and that is one thing i didnt like about it, and the length. I would rather have somebody who needs a truck bed to have it instead of me hacking it up. Plus it was something to say i fabbed up everything on it. So far i ahve $150 into the trailer. I just need to buy my pintle lunette.
I looked for a military but, couldn't find a decent one for a reasonable price and you're right it's more satisfying to say....." yeah, I built it" ---------------Hans

Last edited by Oatmeal; 09-13-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Well it is starting to look like a trailer

Unfortunately i do not have two same siize tires. I will eventually, So it does look a bit odd.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 AM

I ordered my lunette Ring for the front and made my fenders. I only have the fender moutns tacked on, and i already need to move one back a touch.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it, looks good.

Work with what ya got, I'm all about that! You should see my 4Runner

Someday I'll build something like this to haul parts, tools, and camping gear.

A simple camo netting over the top would look killer on your trailer!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Looks nice but...Wheel spacers anyone...?
Do the tires rub..cause they look like it
Old 09-20-2008, 02:46 PM

There is about a 2 inch space between the tires and frame. Trailer isnt going to flex, so no real worry.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Well got the landing leg installed today. I still need to get the pin to lock it in place, but no biggie.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:34 PM

You not worried about the tub flexing at all?
Old 09-21-2008, 05:18 AM

Not really.If you think about flexing the trailer, most of the twisting force is going to be at the trailer connection to the rig. Since it is a pintle hook setup, it has alot of ability to twist, there is a limit to it, but the traielr is not going to see any rock gardens or anything. This trailer is really made bout the same as the military m416, with the exception that it has a tailgate. Having the rear panel as part of the tub it does ad alot of bracing. But the military tub is almost identical to the way i made mine except there are beads rolled into the side panels.

Last edited by DanStew; 09-21-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:21 PM

I got the lunette eye welded to the trailer, now i can actually tow it

Old 09-23-2008, 05:26 PM

DanStew, you are the man. I'm am totally digging that trailer! That would be the perfect game trailer for this opening deer season!
Pintle hitches are the only way to go, good call.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:29 PM

i agree that it is a good little tow package, good job!...my only thing would be to wunder if it doesnt end up being too heavy in the long run cuz of the metal...but then again it will be sturdy cuz of the metal as well...id also tack up a number of tie down points all the way around so you can load it way past the top rim and then jack some bungees or cargo net over the top!..good werk tx fer the post!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:51 PM

I am surprised how light the traielr is actually. I mean i am not going to pick it up myself. But i think total it may weigh between 250-300 pounds. But i am not sure until i get it weighed. But it is lighter than my old m416. Gonna start sanding it and do the paint this week.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 PM

That looks good, i cant wait to see it painted
Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 PM

Everything in primer.

Paint to come.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Technically it is done. I just need to get the tires situation figured out and cut a piece of plywood to go on the floor.
But here it is

Old 10-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

looks nice! great job!!
Old 10-12-2008, 03:04 PM

OK, so i have more pics. I added my ammo box to the front and finally got my tires on it that match. They came off the flatty. I have things in store for the flatty now

And getting pulled behind the 4runner

It towed real nice behind the Yota. I got up to about 55 and it only bounced around a little. but as expected it did make a racket with the pintle setup, but i knew that
Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice build. Gives me ideas for my own next year.

Just one little thing, though...no lights?

Quick Reply: Another Off Road Trailer Build