Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Megasquirt, Ideal 22re upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Megasquirt, Ideal 22re upgrade?

I am megasquirting a 4.3 for a pretty unique swap.
Hayes ask the question " Do you think it would be worth it to MS a 22re?"
I see others have done it and the more I think about it the more convinced I am that it may be the best upgrade for the 22re mainly because you could totally chuck the restrictive MAF, install headers with a wide band o2 a map sensor and a cold air IAT sensor-presto, state of the art programable fuel delivery on a 22RE that flows well.
Then for about another $150 you install an EDIS4 to run with it and now you have programable ignition.
Also MS has big advantages if you run high altitude trails- correct fuel delivery at any altitude.
Just thinking out loud....

Last edited by texcat101; 11-25-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 AM

thoughts? questions?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i've never heard of megasquirt. thanx for bringing it up, i'm going to do some online research!

(few mins later)

they have a lot of links at the wikipedia entry for this product. have you checked there? forums and stuff are listed. i'm going to read more over the course of this slow-ass day at work.

happy t-day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaSquirt

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 11-26-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sure, lets see what happens. though you're not using my engine to experiment. (i said the same thing to a buddy who wanted to try hooking up a noss system onto my engine, 'come on bro it will give it another 200HP!' 'more than likely it will blow my engine sky high, you dumbass!'....lol)
Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
sure, lets see what happens. though you're not using my engine to experiment. (i said the same thing to a buddy who wanted to try hooking up a noss system onto my engine, 'come on bro it will give it another 200HP!' 'more than likely it will blow my engine sky high, you dumbass!'....lol)
Nos is not a very good analogy for what MS does. It's really just going to allow you to remove the AFM's restriction and tune the air/fuel ratio and ignition profiles to work best for that engine.
Totally programmable fuel and spark matched with data logging that you can read from your laptop.
A super tuned 22re that can breath... surely thats not too much for an engine forged in the fires of hell.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wasnt trying to compare them, sorry if it sounded like that. i simply stated that you're not using my engine to experiment on... lol. which is what i told my buddy when he wanted to hook up nos to mine. i wasnt trying to compare, i kind of just rambled a little bit. i know MS is nothing like NOS.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
i wasnt trying to compare them, sorry if it sounded like that. i simply stated that you're not using my engine to experiment on... lol. which is what i told my buddy when he wanted to hook up nos to mine. i wasnt trying to compare, i kind of just rambled a little bit. i know MS is nothing like NOS.
It's all good, I just want to be sure nobody gets the wrong idea... I am beginning to think this might be a good mod for alot of people.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb 1UZ-FE 4L Lexus V-8 + megasquirt

Megasquirt takes a lot of work. With the lil' 2.4 being capable of at most 180 HP with turbo, I think that it's best that we settle for these over-engineered, tough as nails motors in their stock form, N/A. Diesel, 3.4L, or 1UZF-E swaps would be more worth the effort and time in my opinion. The effort to megasquirt the 22R-E would be economical. But, for the gains received in power I don't believe that it would be reward enough to warrant having an engine that would last for 300 years. These engines have proven that they can last through a lifetime and then some. It's much more simple to be happy with that than to perform the labor which could yield such high horsepower gains and similar, if not better, fuel mileage that a Lexus 4L 1UZF-E replacement can produce. The 1UZ gets 18-25 mpg and yeilds 250 hp stock, which is a modest estimation of their potential.

Lest we not forget our evil carbon emmisions, that may soon require stock emmissions equipment to avoid an even larger world [carbon] tax that will fund our world government.

Tell me that carbon isn't what plants use to create oxygen and I'll set up a 2nd grade science exhibit to prove the carbon tax is poop---

To do this, to me, would be worth the effort
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQbe4gX6H6Y[/YOUTUBE]

But, the 22R-E isn't as cool. The 22R-E has been picky to those whom choose to change the muffler, cam, intake and tuning. The restrictions make these motors reliable. The restriction of air coming in and the exhaust going out always yield the same results, dependability. Slap the motor around and it still won't quit, though. So, it's your choice the way that I see it.

Last edited by BigWavePaul; 11-26-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by BigWavePaul
Megasquirt takes a lot of work. With the lil' 2.4 being capable of at most 180 HP with turbo, I think that it's best that we settle for these over-engineered, tough as nails motors in their stock form, N/A. Diesel, 3.4L, or 1UZF-E swaps would be more worth the effort and time in my opinion. The effort to megasquirt the 22R-E would be economical. But, for the gains received in power I don't believe that it would be reward enough to warrant having an engine that would last for 300 years. These engines have proven that they can last through a lifetime and then some. It's much more simple to be happy with that than to perform the labor which could yield such high horsepower gains and similar, if not better, fuel mileage that a Lexus 4L 1UZF-E replacement can produce. The 1UZ gets 18-25 mpg and yeilds 250 hp stock, which is a modest estimation of their potential.

Lest we not forget our evil carbon emmisions, that may soon require stock emmissions equipment to avoid an even larger world [carbon] tax that will fund our world government.

Tell me that carbon isn't what plants use to create oxygen and I'll set up a 2nd grade science exhibit to prove the carbon tax is poop---

But, the 22R-E isn't as cool. The 22R-E has been picky to those whom choose to change the muffler, cam, intake and tuning. The restrictions make these motors reliable. The restriction of air coming in and the exhaust going out always yield the same results, dependability. Slap the motor around and it still won't quit, though. So, it's your choice the way that I see it.
Good post! I am swapping in a 4.3 with a MPI marine intake, EDIS and MS so I can see the value of a swap relative to the minor improvements available with MS on the 22re. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f163...-chevy-156022/
I live in a non emissions county so I had not considered the carbon commie pinko tax issue.
I still think a super tuned 22re that can breath is a great option for those looking to enhance the power and efficiancy of a very reliable engine for a minimal investment.
Keeping in mind the many good reports from those that have succesfully upgraded the AFM to allow the engine to breath.
These mods would require an ability to properly tune the A/F ratios etc.. perhaps the reason the 22re seems to be "picky" when changing cams, mufflers.
Thats where a MS system comes in- open it up but with correct tuning.
Yes its going to be some work and there is alot to learn but for many people thats half the fun.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb 22R-E costs the same as megasquirt

Being that our trucks are common and these motors were used for so many years, a 22R-E can easily be found for around $200. When watching some friends Megasquirt their 1UZ's, I checked out the prices of the fuel sending units. Personally, I couldn't justify spending as much on a new engine component as I would pay for another block. Cost trade-off wasn't worth it for me. I love that I can resource replacement parts for dirt cheap. I love what you do for me, Toyota!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am starting to seriously considering toying with this... I need to find more information on them, but I think this could be a fun endeavor for me. I have a brand new 22re with 500 miles on it and a Street RV head from ENGNBLDR. I think this could really open up the engine, and since I am not looking for huge power, just a little more in the mountains...

TexCat, where are you finding your information?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
I am starting to seriously considering toying with this... I need to find more information on them, but I think this could be a fun endeavor for me. I have a brand new 22re with 500 miles on it and a Street RV head from ENGNBLDR. I think this could really open up the engine, and since I am not looking for huge power, just a little more in the mountains...

TexCat, where are you finding your information?
This is a good place to start your research
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=32559

I pulled my 22re and tranny today and will try to document the 4.3 swap with
as much info as possible on the MS/EDIS on the domestic swap thread.

I am glad you are considering the MS for the 22re. With the street RV head you could likely benefit from less intake restriction and my understanding of the MS is you could totally remove the AFM and run a low restriction air filter/cold air intake type setup with an open IAT sensor.