Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

what causes my CEL to go on and off at times?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bvet4dog
thanks guys! gonna stop in tomorrow. Or should i wait for the next CEL light come on and go straight to the store? To be honest, i've never had someone check my truck and get the codes. so i'm still new at this.
if they actually cleared them or you manually reset the ecm then they should be there.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddieleephd
if they actually cleared them or you manually reset the ecm then they should be there.

what do u mean by this? saying if i manually reset the CEL, and the light isnt on then there is still an error? that i still will get codes?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by bak3rme
what do u mean by this? saying if i manually reset the CEL, and the light isnt on then there is still an error? that i still will get codes?
Your vehicle has several computers and more then 1 memery. When the error occur it gives the light on. You can clean (reset) "Check Engine" light by flashing one of the computers memory, but the code will still be stored in Permanent memory. Only special scanners can retrieve that code and clean it completly form your memory. My local mechanical shop has it and it cost over $2000. My home scanner can only flash "dash board" memory to pull the light off. Dealer can still pick up the code after.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by SkidPalace
I had a chat with my uncle who owns a repair shop and although he is no Toyota master tech, he has access to all the diagnostic equipment.
Since bak3rme's and my issues seem possibly related, I don't mind posting that he ran the P1130 and the P0171/2 codes through his Identifix system and more or less confirmed that he would be replacing the A/F sensor if I brought my truck to his shop. This backed up my own suspicions based on my past experience with a blown a/f sensor and the dozens if not hundreds of posts I have read here and on t4r.org.
I went ahead and bought a Denso 234-9002 a/f sensor from Amazon for $124 as well as an Autel Maxiscan MS300 OBDII scanner for $23 so I don't have to bug the guys at Advance anymore. These items will be here on Wednesday or Thursday. I will post if the new sensor puts the CEL out for good.
Well my stuff was due to arrive with the UPS guy today so I started out removing the A/F sensor.
Here's what I was up against:

But surprisingly enough, after three treatments of PB Blaster starting the night before, I was able to get the 14mm nuts off with a 7/16" standard socket and very little strength. I was expecting an epic battle, but they came right off.
Here is what the sensor looked like when I removed it. I was finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel when I saw this blackened sensor.

Here is a shot of the old sensor and the new one that arrived in the UPS truck literally 10 minutes after I got the old one out.

Yah, I know I shoulda took it out of the bag for a real side by side, but you get the idea. Note the genuine factory sealed package which includes the gasket. The dealer wanted to charge me $10 and change for one yesterday when I bought the new locknuts. This sensor shipped free for $124. Thank you Amazon.com.
I slathered the studs with anti-seize and installed the new sensor. I then coated the studs and nuts with more anti-sieze. Contrary to many posts regarding sensor replacment, my connector came apart easily to my relief.
Sorry, I get a little long winded some times. To cut a long story short, I reset my computer by touching both battery cables together for a minute and restarted. Va-voom. Purrs like a kitten. I drove her for a half hour, restarting four times and no CEL. Looks like my problems are gone for good.
I plugged in my brandy new MaxiScan MS300 and it reports no trouble codes.
I can't guarantee that the OP's problems are the same as mine, but if you are getting a P1130, you should look long and hard at your A/F sensor.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:24 PM

By manually reset I mean disconnecting the battery cable. at autozone they will not clear the codes so if you decide to take it to a shop they can pull them. every time I go to autozone I ask can I see that and then I clear them, but usually if you do not then they do not.
Yes there is still an error and it is still in the memory unless you clear them. just because the light goes off does not mean the issue goes away!!! Unless you do some thing to make it go off like replace the part! If it then goes off and does not return then you have fixed the problem.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 PM

Well my stuff was due to arrive with the UPS guy today so I started out removing the A/F sensor.
Here's what I was up against:

But surprisingly enough, after three treatments of PB Blaster starting the night before, I was able to get the 14mm nuts off with a 7/16" standard socket and very little strength. I was expecting an epic battle, but they came right off.
Here is what the sensor looked like when I removed it. I was finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel when I saw this blackened sensor.

Here is a shot of the old sensor and the new one that arrived in the UPS truck literally 10 minutes after I got the old one out.

Yah, I know I shoulda took it out of the bag for a real side by side, but you get the idea. Note the genuine factory sealed package which includes the gasket. The dealer wanted to charge me $10 and change for one yesterday when I bought the new locknuts. This sensor shipped free for $124. Thank you Amazon.com.
I slathered the studs with anti-seize and installed the new sensor. I then coated the studs and nuts with more anti-sieze. Contrary to many posts regarding sensor replacment, my connector came apart easily to my relief.
Sorry, I get a little long winded some times. To cut a long story short, I reset my computer by touching both battery cables together for a minute and restarted. Va-voom. Purrs like a kitten. I drove her for a half hour, restarting four times and no CEL. Looks like my problems are gone for good.
I plugged in my brandy new MaxiScan MS300 and it reports no trouble codes.
I can't guarantee that the OP's problems are the same as mine, but if you are getting a P1130, you should look long and hard at your A/F sensor.

can i still get CEL code even if my CEL isnt on? i guess ill pull the code again and replace it like you. was it hard to replace? besides maybe getting the bolts out? and how are ur gas mileages looking now? thanks for the post and pics. u got me
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 PM

can i still get CEL code even if my CEL isnt on? i guess ill pull the code again and replace it like you. was it hard to replace? besides maybe getting the bolts out? and how are ur gas mileages looking now? thanks for the post and pics. u got me
I just filled up this afternoon so I won't have any gas mileage numbers until next week. I will certainly post them when I fill 'er up again.
In retrospect that should have been a harbinger of bad things, since I was getting putrid mileage lately. I think my last tank was 13.5 mpg. I recall getting 19+ just a couple of months ago.
My fingers are crossed that it goes back up significantly. Maybe after a tank or two I will slap in my new plugs and wires and fuel filter.
As far as the codes, I believe they will still be in memory until they are erased by a diagnostic machine, not just cleared with a cheapo code reader.
If your issue is intermittent and the CEL goes off on it's own accord, then the conditions for the code may not be present and therefore not be reported.
Maybe you should grab that MaxiScan from Amazon for $23. You can have it on hand so as not to have to deal with the autozone guys over and over.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 PM

I just filled up this afternoon so I won't have any gas mileage numbers until next week. I will certainly post them when I fill 'er up again.
In retrospect that should have been a harbinger of bad things, since I was getting putrid mileage lately. I think my last tank was 13.5 mpg. I recall getting 19+ just a couple of months ago.
My fingers are crossed that it goes back up significantly. Maybe after a tank or two I will slap in my new plugs and wires and fuel filter.
As far as the codes, I believe they will still be in memory until they are erased by a diagnostic machine, not just cleared with a cheapo code reader.
If your issue is intermittent and the CEL goes off on it's own accord, then the conditions for the code may not be present and therefore not be reported.
Maybe you should grab that MaxiScan from Amazon for $23. You can have it on hand so as not to have to deal with the autozone guys over and over.

sounds good, i hope the best results for u! and as for the pexiscan....are they really that cheap??! i remmber they being 100 or more...or am i thinking about something else...this pulls the codes for u and u look it up thats all right? same piece that ppl at autozone use to do the CEL ?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:05 AM

I hate to be the bearer of news otherwise liked but it is winter and you may not see 19 until they remove the ethanol from the gas however it should atleast return to 15-17
Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
I hate to be the bearer of news otherwise liked but it is winter and you may not see 19 until they remove the ethanol from the gas however it should atleast return to 15-17

other day i calculated 18mpg thats with me driving the whole week at 65 on the highway. question is..when are they going to take out the ethanol from the gas? like is there a specific week of any given month they do this? like "national gain more MPG coz we took out ethanol day"?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 PM

sounds good, i hope the best results for u! and as for the pexiscan....are they really that cheap??! i remmber they being 100 or more...or am i thinking about something else...this pulls the codes for u and u look it up thats all right? same piece that ppl at autozone use to do the CEL ?
Autel Maxiscan on Amazon for $23.99. Ships free with $25 purchase.