Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Tundra Bilstein 5100 Adjustables on 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM
4rx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got tundra bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks on my 4runner a few weeks ago. It's be5-6929-h1 model. Installation was barely fit. I don't really recommend tundra 5100 for your 3rd gen 4runner, get tacoma 5100s instead. I believe tundra 5100 is taller than tacoma 5100. I can't get tacoma 5100 because it's out of stock. The guy said I need to wait for 2 weeks for tacoma 5100s and I went with tundra 5100s. Big mistake.

edit: by the way, i have tundra 5100 on ome 881. No problem with ride so far. It doesn't have to be only for tundra trd springs.

Last edited by 4rx; 08-03-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rx
I've got tundra bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks on my 4runner a few weeks ago. It's be5-6929-h1 model. Installation was barely fit. I don't really recommend tundra 5100 for your 3rd gen 4runner, get tacoma 5100s instead. I believe tundra 5100 is taller than tacoma 5100. I can't get tacoma 5100 because it's out of stock. The guy said I need to wait for 2 weeks for tacoma 5100s and I went with tundra 5100s. Big mistake.

edit: by the way, i have tundra 5100 on ome 881. No problem with ride so far. It doesn't have to be only for tundra trd springs.
I was going to get the front Tundra 5100 shocks to pair with the Stock 99 Tall coils for now. Later down the road, I'd like to mate it with the Tundra TRD coils like the SS setup. You don't recommend Tundra 5100's for the 4Runner in general or do you mean not to use them with OME springs? I've read that the Tacoma 5100's are valved too soft and won't ride well. I can see why the Tundra 5100's barely fit with an 881 coil since 881 coils are longer, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with an OEM 99 Tall coil.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:10 PM
4rx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
I was going to get the front Tundra 5100 shocks to pair with the Stock 99 Tall coils for now. Later down the road, I'd like to mate it with the Tundra TRD coils like the SS setup. You don't recommend Tundra 5100's for the 4Runner in general or do you mean not to use them with OME springs? I've read that the Tacoma 5100's are valved too soft and won't ride well. I can see why the Tundra 5100's barely fit with an 881 coil since 881 coils are longer, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with an OEM 99 Tall coil.
I'm sorry. English isn't my first language. But what I was saying is that the tundra 5100 fit perfectly with 881. The shock itself is barely fit in the front. I might have damaged upper balljoint on the passenger side from pressing control arm too far down. I haven't heard much about tacoma 5100 tho.

Last edited by 4rx; 08-03-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 PM

Bumping this. This is my first post on Yotatech. Long time lurker, first time poster, and a pleasure to be here finally.

I have a 97 4runner LTD and I finally have the need and monies to get some new shocks. My friend had the 5100's in his Tundra and he loved them, as did I the look of them. From what I'm gathering I can just pull out the stock shocks and replace them with Tundra 5100's? Did anyone else have trouble with the Tundra's fitting and regret not going Tacoma?

I'm mainly just confused on the proper way to attack this. It's my understanding that they ahould all fit into each other's respective positions so either should work its just a question of ride height and possibly firmness?

Also, has anyone gone with a kit like this?

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Thoughts? If possible, it seems much cheaper to just go Tundra shocks on stock coils, correct?

EDIT: I meant stock coils instead of OME.

Last edited by reTRDed; 03-21-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by reTRDed
Bumping this. This is my first post on Yotatech. Long time lurker, first time poster, and a pleasure to be here finally.

I have a 97 4runner LTD and I finally have the need and monies to get some new shocks. My friend had the 5100's in his Tundra and he loved them, as did I the look of them. From what I'm gathering I can just pull out the stock shocks and replace them with Tundra 5100's? Did anyone else have trouble with the Tundra's fitting and regret not going Tacoma?

I'm mainly just confused on the proper way to attack this. It's my understanding that they ahould all fit into each other's respective positions so either should work its just a question of ride height and possibly firmness?

Thoughts? If possible, it seems much cheaper to just go Tundra shocks on stock coils, correct?

I personally never installed the 99 OEM Tall coils onto my 4Runner with the Bilsteins. I decided to just buy the TRD coils from shoptrd.com for around $245 shipped. Then I bought the 00-06 Tundra Coil Spring Insulator (can be found at Rockauto for like $12 + shipping. Coil spring insulator is necessary as the Tundra TRD coils are a little wider in diameter, so it needs a little bigger insulator to go with it. Also, you would reuse your stock 4Runner metal top caps, but switch out the bushings up top with the ones provided with the new Tundra 5100s. I also picked up generic rancho rubber dust boots at O'Reilly auto to protect the shaft (not required).

The front setup with Tundra TRD coils and the Tundra Bilstein 5100s is very well balanced and rides like it should have from the factory - no squeaks and no bounciness/rubber band like jolts. The Tundra 5100s work perfectly for our 4Runners when they're paired with the Tundra TRD coils. If you have the money, just buy it and do it all at the same time. You could probably use the stock '97 4Runner coils, but you'll have to probably set the perch setting close to the top to see any measurable lift. The ride with 4Runner coils may be on the soft side.

TRD coils + Tundra Bilstein 5100 set on lowest perch setting gave me 2" of lift on my '00 SR5 V6 4x4. I used OME 890's for the rear with Bilstein HDs for about 2.5-2.75" rear lift - there's a slight rake but I think it looks perfect.

As for the $599 coilover setup at Toytec - it might be a good idea to call them and find out if those are the Tundra 5100s they're using or the Tacoma 5100's. My guess is that they're a Tacoma variant. The threaded sleeve gives you the option to fine tune the height easily. The Eibach 620lb/in. spring rate should suit the 4Runner needs but will be a little firmer than the Tundra coils as they're spring linear rate whereas the TRD coils are progressive from around ~500lb/in initial to 620-650lb/in final. Remember this setup still needs your old top caps and you still need to buy bushings. If you want a coilover setup, you should maybe just consider their next step up where they include a fully assembled unit ready to go.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 AM

first off, YOU CAN'T USE STOCK 4RUNNER COILS ON TUNDRA SHOCKS!!

The diameter of the tundra shock is larger than 4runner so the coils will not fit over them. I just did the Tundra coil install on my truck about 6 weeks ago and I love it. I ordered the 5100's but returned them because I used the entire Tundra coil and bilstien strut from a 04' Tundra and I love the ride but after settling I have a net lift of 1.5" in the front. If you want that other .5"+ of lift then spend the $235 and get the 5100's. (junk yards typically only sell the coils and shocks together so you're going to get bilstien shocks anyway).

Next, ToyTec does not have the 5100's the last I checked, they are on back order from Bilstien for about 2-3 months but doesn't hurt to ask. DO NOT USE THE TACOMA 5100's you will regret it most likely. Wheelers have the Tundra 5100's in stock for $225 + shipping but you will need to find tundra blue/yellow & yellow/yellow at a junk yard or pay the big bucks elsewhere.

You need to top hat only from your 4Runner shocks but I'd just order them $13 ea (you need two of them). It's easier than compressing the stocks shocks and removing them to save $26 dollars and will save you an hour or more of labor. The top hat has the 3 stud bolts that bolt into your top perch, you will need the Tundra (rubber piece) isolator.

It does like this from bottom up, Tundra shock, Tundra coil, Tundra isolator and grommet and then the 4runner metal top hat with Tundra nut to tighten it all down. Install the strut assembly with 4runner nuts (becuase you're using the 4runner top hat).

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
You could probably use the stock '97 4Runner coils, but you'll have to probably set the perch setting close to the top to see any measurable lift. The ride with 4Runner coils may be on the soft side.

TRD coils + Tundra Bilstein 5100 set on lowest perch setting gave me 2" of lift on my '00 SR5 V6 4x4. I used OME 890's for the rear with Bilstein HDs for about 2.5-2.75" rear lift - there's a slight rake but I think it looks perfect.
I think I'm giving up on the toytec kit. It seems I can put together something much more accommodating for less $$.

I cant quite decide on the lift I want as I'm looking for something subtle. How does the 2" look on your runner? I have removed all the side panels and flares off my limited (something I have wanted to do for a while, so for me, I already added a small lift (albeit only as an optical illusion). If you had to quantify the lift you got from the stock coils what would you put it around?

I'd love to see your runner as I can't decide if I want rake or not. To my eye, as is, she sits pretty level, stock. I could always go OME 906's in the rear if I wanted something more level; I would also have to replace the stock rear shocks as well to use the OME's, yes?

Either way, the front has gotta get changed asap, was the install on your front setup fairly easy?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4byrunner
first off, YOU CAN'T USE STOCK 4RUNNER COILS ON TUNDRA SHOCKS!!

The diameter of the tundra shock is larger than 4runner so the coils will not fit over them. I just did the Tundra coil install on my truck about 6 weeks ago and I love it. I ordered the 5100's but returned them because I used the entire Tundra coil and bilstien strut from a 04' Tundra and I love the ride but after settling I have a net lift of 1.5" in the front. If you want that other .5"+ of lift then spend the $235 and get the 5100's. (junk yards typically only sell the coils and shocks together so you're going to get bilstien shocks anyway).

Next, ToyTec does not have the 5100's the last I checked, they are on back order from Bilstien for about 2-3 months but doesn't hurt to ask. DO NOT USE THE TACOMA 5100's you will regret it most likely. Wheelers have the Tundra 5100's in stock for $225 + shipping but you will need to find tundra blue/yellow & yellow/yellow at a junk yard or pay the big bucks elsewhere.

You need to top hat only from your 4Runner shocks but I'd just order them $13 ea (you need two of them). It's easier than compressing the stocks shocks and removing them to save $26 dollars and will save you an hour or more of labor. The top hat has the 3 stud bolts that bolt into your top perch, you will need the Tundra (rubber piece) isolator.

It does like this from bottom up, Tundra shock, Tundra coil, Tundra isolator and grommet and then the 4runner metal top hat with Tundra nut to tighten it all down. Install the strut assembly with 4runner nuts (becuase you're using the 4runner top hat).

Good luck.

4byrunner,

What rear setup did you choose to go with? I think I will enjoy the 5100's because I was on the fence about 2" lift. I wanted something relatively subtle and I think I will be happy with 1.5". Are you saying these particular shocks are on back order everywhere? I thought I found some early...maybe I was dreaming. The 5100's up front with 1.5" of lift and OME 906's in rear with 2" of lift might be nice. Would these also settle down closer to 1.5"?? And would I need to change the stock shocks in the rear immediately as well?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM

4byrunner,

What rear setup did you choose to go with? I think I will enjoy the 5100's because I was on the fence about 2" lift. I wanted something relatively subtle and I think I will be happy with 1.5". Are you saying these particular shocks are on back order everywhere? I thought I found some early...maybe I was dreaming. The 5100's up front with 1.5" of lift and OME 906's in rear with 2" of lift might be nice. Would these also settle down closer to 1.5"?? And would I need to change the stock shocks in the rear immediately as well?
They are back ordered nearly everywhere but I believe Wheelers have them in stock because that is where I ordered mine and returned them just a few weeks ago. Bilstein company does not make enough of these shocks to supply the demand.
I returned them because I found 2004 tundra trd struts at a junk yard for only $140 for the pair with low mileage on them. I'm running 906 coils in the rear with bilstein 5125 shocks with the eye bolt adapter. Its a firm ride in the back which I like because I tow. After settling I got 1.5" both front and rear of lift.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 PM

I had some Tundra 5100s and silver Eibach/Toytec 620lb springs sitting around to replace my Icons on my 4Runner. Sold the 4Runner, so I installed this set up on my new Tundra.

The Toytec spring is smaller in diameter compared to the Tundra TRD springs that were on the truck. I measured with a digital caliper, and ultimately discovered the rubber Tundra spring isolators will not fit into the ID of the Toytec springs. The Toytec springs have no trouble fitting over the Tundra 5100s, leaving enough room for spring compressors and they seat on the lower perch perfectly. The bottom ID between the Toytec and stock Tundra TRD springs was nearly identical.

I imagine the Toytec spring, which is spec'd for a 4Runner/Tacoma, is identical in top/bottom diameter to stock 4Runner/Tacoma springs. No one seems to have tried this combo, and all I ever see is "it won't fit" by people talking out their ass.

I picked up a pair of Energy urethane Tacoma spring isolators on Amazon, used those on my Tundra top hats, and installed the Tundra 5100s with the silver Toytec springs at the lowest spring perch. You would obviously skip this if you have a 4Runner/Tacoma unless you need new better than stock isolators for $14/pair.

Netted over 2.25" of lift on a vehicle with a heavy V8 in the nose. Fantastic ride, better than any combo I ever used on my 4Runner, and I believe they would be a great match for a light truck, and even better if you have a steel bumper/winch.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 4Tard
I had some Tundra 5100s and silver Eibach/Toytec 620lb springs sitting around to replace my Icons on my 4Runner. Sold the 4Runner, so I installed this set up on my new Tundra.

The Toytec spring is smaller in diameter compared to the Tundra TRD springs that were on the truck. I measured with a digital caliper, and ultimately discovered the rubber Tundra spring isolators will not fit into the ID of the Toytec springs. The Toytec springs have no trouble fitting over the Tundra 5100s, leaving enough room for spring compressors and they seat on the lower perch perfectly. The bottom ID between the Toytec and stock Tundra TRD springs was nearly identical.

I imagine the Toytec spring, which is spec'd for a 4Runner/Tacoma, is identical in top/bottom diameter to stock 4Runner/Tacoma springs. No one seems to have tried this combo, and all I ever see is "it won't fit" by people talking out their ass..

Toytec? We are talking about the FACTORY 4R springs not fitting over TUNDRA struts, not toytec or anything else and I did try it and they don't fit. Go ahead and hammer them over the shock if you want to Jimmy rig it. I'm not talking out of my ass, you are. I just tried it 6 weeks ago. Factory 4R coils do not pair up/ fit with Tundra shocks.

Last edited by 4byrunner; 03-24-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM

Toytec? We are talking about the FACTORY 4R springs not fitting over TUNDRA struts, not toytec or anything else and I did try it and they don't fit. Go ahead and hammer them over the shock if you want to Jimmy rig it. I'm not talking out of my ass, you are. I just tried it 6 weeks ago. Factory 4R coils do not pair up/ fit with Tundra shocks.
You didn't happen to snap any pics of the stock 4runner coils and the Tundra 5100's not fitting, did you? I've ran across this several times in my reading lately, I've seen posters swear up and down that they will and they won't fit, some confirmation would be great.

I'd love to be able to buy the Tundra 5100's and use them with my '99 talls for the time being, but I need to know if it works or not, and nobody seems to be able to PROVE one way or the other if it does.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by IanB
You didn't happen to snap any pics of the stock 4runner coils and the Tundra 5100's not fitting, did you? I've ran across this several times in my reading lately, I've seen posters swear up and down that they will and they won't fit, some confirmation would be great.

I'd love to be able to buy the Tundra 5100's and use them with my '99 talls for the time being, but I need to know if it works or not, and nobody seems to be able to PROVE one way or the other if it does.
Sorry no pictures. I'm a cheap a$$ and if using my factory 4R coils would've worked then they'd be on my truck instead of sitting on my work table in my garage collecting dust. Also when you pull apart the coils and set them next to the tundra shocks its absolutely obvious by eyeballing it that they won't fit like a golf ball in a garden house.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM

Since the adjustable 5100's seem to be so hard to come by right now. Would I still get a decent lift off stock tundra coils and shocks? So if I say, take some 5100's and coils off a salvage and throw them on would I still get noticeable lift? It seems like this would be right as previous posters were claiming decent lifts off the lowest perch setting with tundra coils.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by IanB

Contn'd
However what I can do for you as far as PHOTO evidence that Jesus does exist is when I get home I'll take a caliper and measure the inside diameter (ID) of the stock 4R coils and I'll measure the OD of the tundra shock and take pictures for the NON-BELEIVERS that think the experienced people that have done this Tundra lift have some sort of evil conspiracy against stock 4R coils on Tundra shocks. lol.

But I should inform the nay sayers that I threw out my stock 4R shocks so I will not be able to get a measurement on those vs. the Tundra shock.

I'll get back to you on this later this evening hopefully.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Since the adjustable 5100's seem to be so hard to come by right now. Would I still get a decent lift off stock tundra coils and shocks? So if I say, take some 5100's and coils off a salvage and throw them on would I still get noticeable lift? It seems like this would be right as previous posters were claiming decent lifts off the lowest perch setting with tundra coils.
5100 Bilstiens are aftermarket shocks, they did not come on factory OEM Tundra or Tacomas. Bilstien made regular shocks for factory toyotas that are not height adjustable. So finding 5100's on a salvaged vehicle would be a rare find.

As to your question about factory Tundra shocks giving you lift? Yes, I used 2004 Tundra TRD struts (shocks + coils) and put them on my front end for 1.5" of lift (after settling). The ride is excellent and I'm happy with it. If you want more than 1.5" then go with the hard to find 5100's for Tundra but i'd start with Wheelers since that's where I found mine but I returned them.

I got my Tundra struts from a junk yard with low mileage for only $140 instead of paying $220 plus shipping for the 5100's and then still having to buy coils which would almost double that price so I saved a lot of money by sacraficing .5" of lift (I originally only wanted to get about 2" of lift total in the front). If you are wanting to purchase Tundra TRD coils you have to most likely purchase the whole strut assembly anyways so if the shocks are usable why not save money.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM

The Tundra's came with Bilstein HD's (yellow & blue), not 5100's (silver) stock, so there is no adjustable perch on the Tundra stock struts.

Edit: got beat to the punch on this one.

Contn'd
However what I can do for you as far as PHOTO evidence that Jesus does exist is when I get home I'll take a caliper and measure the inside diameter (ID) of the stock 4R coils and I'll measure the OD of the tundra shock and take pictures for the NON-BELEIVERS that think the experienced people that have done this Tundra lift have some sort of evil conspiracy against stock 4R coils on Tundra shocks. lol.

But I should inform the nay sayers that I threw out my stock 4R shocks so I will not be able to get a measurement on those vs. the Tundra shock.

I'll get back to you on this later this evening hopefully.
That would be of great value to myself, and I'm sure many others looking into this. Thanks!

I'd measure my stock struts to fill in the blanks on this, but my Surf has the factory e-adjustable struts and I don't know if they are the same diameter as 4runner struts in the 1st place. They have to be close, but I don't know if they are the same.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM

I'm really only looking for 1.5" lift anyway. I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but I want to make sure I get this right. I'm looking into buying some shocks and coils pulled off an 07 4wd Tundra Limited and was making sure I will get the results I want. I havent had a chance to look at the shocks and the guy isn't really sure what they are. So the Bilsteins came on the Tundra out of the factory then and these should be perfect? Also, would it be dependent upon whether or not it had the TRD package?

Last edited by reTRDed; 03-26-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:22 PM

I'm really only looking for 1.5" lift anyway. I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but I want to make sure I get this right. I'm looking into buying some shocks and coils pulled off an 07 4wd Tundra Limited and was making sure I will get the results I want. I havent had a chance to look at the shocks and the guy isn't really sure what they are. So the Bilsteins came on the Tundra out of the factory then and these should be perfect? Also, would it be dependent upon whether or not it had the TRD package?
There are 2 kinds of Bilsteins being discussed here:
HD's - yellow, no adjustable perch, OEM equipment on TRD Tundra
5100's - nickel/silver finish, adjustable perch, aftermarket only

If the Tundra is not a TRD package, it will not have Bilsteins of any kind on it, likely a Tokico strut.

Last edited by IanB; 03-26-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM

The Tundra shocks that are interchangable with 4Runners and Tacos are off of Tundras up to 2006. I believe that the 2007 will NOT work for you.

Quick Reply: Tundra Bilstein 5100 Adjustables on 3rd gen?