95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota Alarm antenna extension *success*

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Alarm antenna extension *success*

hey fellas
Bob98sr5 had an idea of extending the alarm wire on the 3000 alarm. He added a wire and fished it up his door panel and above the roof liner.

I decided to try it a different way. my 4Runner has the diversity antenna (the antenna on the right rear window) which is not being used (I have an aftermarket stereo). I grounded the outside of the antenna wire, and then spliced the antenna cable with the alarm wire. The result, well i can arm the stereo from inside my apartment (which is three stories up)!!

Thanks Bob for the foundation to my mod!
Old 11-17-2002, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLC:

Hey that's great! Unfortunately the range on mine isn't as good as yours. I'm going to undo what I did and do what you did.

Can you clarify:

1) Right rear window: are you talking about the one in the cargo area? If so, how did you access that wire? Got a pic?

2) Shouldn't that wire have already been pre-grounded?

3) Got any pics?

I may try your other suggestion of splicing it to the antenna wire of the stereo. I believe it will work for me b/c I have the non-motorized "whip" antenna.

Bob
Old 11-17-2002, 05:42 PM

Where is the alarm wire, this sounds like a fun mod?
Old 11-18-2002, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
SLC:

Hey that's great! Unfortunately the range on mine isn't as good as yours. I'm going to undo what I did and do what you did.

Can you clarify:

1) Right rear window: are you talking about the one in the cargo area? If so, how did you access that wire? Got a pic?

2) Shouldn't that wire have already been pre-grounded?

3) Got any pics?

I may try your other suggestion of splicing it to the antenna wire of the stereo. I believe it will work for me b/c I have the non-motorized "whip" antenna.

Bob
1- Yes the cargo area window, it looks like a defroster...
2- well it is an antenna connection, so the outside grounds to the stereo body (if it were hooked up) so I just solderd a wire to the outside of the antenna connector and grounded it. Then soldered another wire to the actual antenna portion (the middle part) and then spliced it to the antenna wire.

I am not really sure if you HAVE to ground it, but I figured while I had it apart, it wouldn't hurt.

I don't have any pics yet. I will try to get some tomorrow, when I have to re-route my supercharger vac lines...

The alarm wire is under the dash (on mine, anyways) it is a gray wire with a couple of silver marks on it, that has an open end.

If you have the alarm brain under your seat, you will see two wire connectors, one has two (maybe three, i don't remember) and the other has a lot of wires. If you look at the smaller wire harness the gray wire comes out of there, then you can reference to your wire under the dash.
I don't know if that makes sense, if not I will also take some pics and post them.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

This is a great idea! As we all know, toyota alarm/keyless entry reception stinks. Would it be a bad thing to just splice the wires instead, so both the alarm and the radio can use the atennas? Or would this create some interference with the alarm system? I guess I could just run a wire up in the headliner as an antenna, but I like your idea better. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Well I don't think that the mod I posted is as good as I thought. Maybe it was the new battery in my remote. But right now, the range isn't any better than it was before the mod. Bob and I have talked about it and we have both determined that there is no way to increase the range of the RS3000 system...
Old 01-12-2005, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

I think we need a full on write up with pics!

Great mod Travis, I may attempt this one in the spring after it warms up some.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:32 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My little knowlege on this is that most alarms have to have a matching resistance on the antenna wire so just extending it doesn't help you have to use the right kinda wire with the right amount of resistance, just what I have read and heard but I am no expert.
This is why I went aftermarket and now can start my truck over 1/4 mile away and have it tell me its running.
P.S anyone want to buy my factory one with a remote ....
Old 01-12-2005, 07:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i changed the battery in my remote a few weeks ago and i now have twice the range... im gonna just keep that fresh whenever it starts to die down.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:19 PM
E1

I always wondered what that grid over there was used for.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Where exactly is this grey antenna wire? I just have keyless entry, and I think the brains are somewhere behind the dash, not sure though. I took the drivers side kickplate off and the side molding, still cant find a wire with an end. Hopefully I will be able to find it tonight with your help. Thanks!