Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Take foot off brake from complete stop, feel a clunk, please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys have inspired me to go forward and do this since I should have been doing it all along. I ordered a grease gun and some royal purple synthetic grease to start this project off. I can probably assume the shop has neglected this as much as I have. Time to get greasing!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same issue with my 98 4runner,all parts related to the u joints and drive shafts where dry.i pumped some marine grade grease (thinner one to clean out everything),then filled up with a more thicker grease,clunk and whining noise gone.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Update

So I got underneath and pumped more grease in to the zerks. Saw that I missed one zerk on the rear axle front U-joint. Anyways, saw that I had not put enough grease in to the rear slip yoke to move the slip yoke at all. Put 15-20 more pumps in and finally saw the yoke move out. Stopped just after about 3/4 of an inch of the shiny part of the drive shaft appeared. Knowing it was probably dry I could have put more in but thought better of it.

I think the front drive shaft probably needs some more but there was already a fair amount of black, grape jelly like consistency, grease at the slip yoke, so I will wait a few weeks, get all the new stuff cycled through and check again.

BTW I am using Mystik grease, though I heard the Castrol Sythetic works slightly better from a yota technician.

The clunk is basically gone, though a very very slight one can still be felt randomly at braking, but no longer when taking foot off the brake. I am confident it will go away with more driving, but will probably reappear sooner or later. I will just make the zerks a part of my oil change routine.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Keep adding grease, mine disappeared instantly once I filled it up all the way.

I just kept pumping until the yoke stopped moving. Took a LOT of grease to get it full again.

Add more to the front as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 AM

Your advice makes sense. Though the manual says otherwise, the manual assumes that regular maintenance has been done to those components. In my case, no regular maintenance has been done so I need to get the yokes to the point they would have been at had maintenance been performed.

Just thinking out loud
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotasinthefamily
Your advice makes sense. Though the manual says otherwise, the manual assumes that regular maintenance has been done to those components. In my case, no regular maintenance has been done so I need to get the yokes to the point they would have been at had maintenance been performed.

Just thinking out loud
Yeah, now when I refill it I don't add nearly as much since they already have grease to start with.

But that first time took almost a whole tube IIRC.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 PM

Some occasional clunking is pretty much normal and un-avoidable. Proper greasing and maintenance will keep it at bay as your finding out. But don't worry if it continues to do it once in a while
Old 10-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by j2the-e
Some occasional clunking is pretty much normal and un-avoidable. Proper greasing and maintenance will keep it at bay as your finding out. But don't worry if it continues to do it once in a while
Mine has not done it since greasing it in normal street driving.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 AM

My truck doesnt do it either. Every truck is different and every persons driving habits are diferent
Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 AM

Here is the before and after and an idea for people searching what a zerk is and where you can find them.

Close up of Zerks on U Joint and Slip yoke (brass nipples)

Slip yoke after initial greasing (clunk not gone)

Slip Yoke after second application (clunk now gone, no stiff tank like feeling in suspension)

Front slip yoke (bad pic)

I cleaned all the excess grease off. Clunk gone and will just need routine maintenance and greasing at oil changes.
FYI:
I used a whole can of grease, a whole flippin can, so there could be instances where your drive line is completely dry like mine.
Note, some people recommend getting on your rear bumper and bouncing up and down to squeeze out the air or get the excess out of the drive line. I did this and squeezed out probably a 1/4 cup of grease from u joint seals and slip yoke and small and slight clunk reappeared. I do not recommend this because it does not imitate conditions you are likely to find driving (even off road) and you will just undo what you have just done.

Everything to this point is only my opinion, you should consult a certified technician if you have questions, I am not liable for any damage that may result from your use of the info I have provided.