Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Supercharger or Turbo?
Turbo
54.55%
Supercharger
45.45%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to be able to install a set of TRD headers and a single turbo with an intercooler. If you look at the design of the headers and the placement of everything it just lends itself to a single turbo set up. The headers already come together into a single outliet and I don't think, although tricky, the intake plumbing would be all that difficult. I vote for a turbo. I can't imaging how much the gas milage would increase on the highway with a turbo on the 3.4. I would hope into the low 30s.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nfenwick
I can't imaging how much the gas milage would increase on the highway with a turbo on the 3.4. I would hope into the low 30s.
Your kidding right?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:08 PM

I would love to be able to install a set of TRD headers and a single turbo with an intercooler. If you look at the design of the headers and the placement of everything it just lends itself to a single turbo set up. The headers already come together into a single outliet and I don't think, although tricky, the intake plumbing would be all that difficult. I vote for a turbo. I can't imaging how much the gas milage would increase on the highway with a turbo on the 3.4. I would hope into the low 30s.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:19 PM

I can dream can't I. Not sure why this post got posted twice. Must have gotten my back buttons confused or something.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by nfenwick
I can't imaging how much the gas milage would increase on the highway with a turbo on the 3.4. I would hope into the low 30s.
Let's see, twin turbo Supra, more aerodynamic, 17 city 24 highway...

Single or Twin turbo 4Runner, an aerodynamic brick with completely different gearing and a more CC's, 17 city and 30 highway.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Nothing wrong with dreaming. We all do it. But you may want to specify you are dreaming before making a claim that huge without backing it up, at all.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 06-03-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:59 PM

I'd have to say go for turbo! What kind of horsepower gains are we going to see and how much $$$?
Old 06-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

It doesn't matter, anything to get some more ooomph. My ex bro-in-law has an excursion with the turbo and had it tweeked. that thing absolutely kicks a$$. I still have the edge in all around mobility, but speed kills, well at least the 4runner!

I would like to also see a v-8 conversion for my 3rd gen. Nothing can replace cbuic inches I.M.H.O.

Thanks for your work!

Doug
Old 06-03-2003, 06:54 PM

I 4th the vote for something for the 3.slo

I had a Mustang 5.0 that also had notorious head gasket problems and guys run 14 PSI boost on those with head studs and stud girdles.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:17 PM

I voted for twin turbo, although i can't afford either if I could I would get a twin turbo.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:16 PM

I'd be interested in a *well engineered* turbo setup for the 3.4L.

I am not clear on why diesel's have turbos and not SC. The F250 Power Stroke I drive at work spools up at medium to hard accelation then goes off boost once at speed, even when towing. Couldn't a turbo be sized for good boost at 2K-3K RPM?
Old 06-03-2003, 08:48 PM

Supercharger w/ one hell of an intercooler...nothing more, nothing less...period

Always on demand power vs. a spooled up turbo is no comparsion...unless you work for audi...???
Old 06-03-2003, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would absolutely not want a turbo for any toyota truck at any time unless you were going to use it for screwing around or racing. here are some well known facts about turbos

they get hot
they ALL crack at some point
they require lots of piping and an intercooler
they possess turbo lag
they burn oil
they need additional systems to increase reliability and life such as turbo timers

I dont think that many of the people who are daily drivers would want the extreme underhood temps of a turbo and/or the installation of a huge front mount intercooler. Turbos are fine for racing and for diesels ( the only reason they are used on a diesel engine is because of the low RPMs, which would make a supercharger very inefficient without step up gearing.) So, there are problems with turbos and all their ridiculous heat and funky piping and superchargers inefficient;right. why not take the high road and have the best of both worlds-- how about a belt driven turbo which could have an intercooler on it. wouldnt that be something-- oh and make it unneccessary to use a lot a lot of heat and piping too while your at it. Wellllllll-------the solution has presented itself, Vortech makes a line of centrifugal superchargers which can be mounted in line with an intercooler and have more power than a roots type charger and more reliability than a turbo--and it could be mounted to an intercooler. There is currently no way to mount an intercooler to a roots type supercharger ( unless its some water injected plate type ). I believe that a centrifugal supercharger would be the best for everyone with a truck, less heat, more power, more efficiency and the ability to mount an intercooler-- i would get one if there was a kit out, but there is not. Not to mention it could be made much cheaper than the TRD charger is now.

I liked turbos until i saw firsthand the huge cracks that develop on the inside when they get hot and the astronomical underhood temps.

Tim
Old 06-04-2003, 12:47 AM

i would go with the trouble-free supercharger....if i get that much power, i would seriously start to worry about our high center of gravity, then there are suspension upgrades.....list goes on and on
Old 06-04-2003, 02:57 PM

Taking care of a turbo is easy. As long as you follow certain steps. If you shut down a turbo that has been running for a long time down you risk cracking the seals in the bearings. It's like taking a glass directly out of your dish washer as soon as it's done and putting it in your freezer. You've got option's for controlling boost either electronically or by a manual boost control.Instead of swapping pulleys. You can also set up an intercooler spray to cool down the air around your intercooler so that way your intake is getting cooler air. A BOV also keeps your turbo from backspooling, which will help in response and lag.

Just my 2 cents fellas.
I had a WRX for 2 years and never had problems with the turbo or it's components. Turbo vehicles are fun and the mods are endless.

Just for the record. I was not a ricer. Mostly drove it on fire trails and dirt roads.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Slib77

Just for the record. I was not a ricer. Mostly drove it on fire trails and dirt roads.
I have yet to see a ricer WRX. My dream car, next to the Lancer of course.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:14 PM

STi is the car of choice. 300HP 300lbs of tourque. Out of a 2.5 boxer motor.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Slib77
STi is the car of choice. 300HP 300lbs of tourque. Out of a 2.5 boxer motor.
It seems that Car and Driver liked the Lancer better for everyday driveability. In fact, Rod Millen had his hands full with the WRX STi.

I guess I need to go down and test drive both. Then convince my wife to get one.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
just in case you missed it last time mike.....

anything for the 3.slow?

I'll put my vote in for this too!!!

Really though, I voted for the turbo, but when I look back on it I think a cheaper, and better supercharger would work for the majority of the people here. I know that I would benifit from a supercharger much more than a turbo. A turbo would be fun if I COULD go fast. For me, I would want more low end power. Not saying that a proper turbo won't do that, but a proper supercharger will almost always give you more low end power. I don't get my rpm's above 5 grand, rarely even 4, and I'd much rather have the low end power for driving up hills, and other things that normally bog my engine down. I'm not trying to speak for any one but my self, except for bumpin' for making some thing for the 3.slow, but it'd be nice to see a supercharger that's affordable, along with very reliable.

Last edited by oly884; 06-04-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:13 AM

Taking care of a turbo is easy. As long as you follow certain steps. If you shut down a turbo that has been running for a long time down you risk cracking the seals in the bearings. It's like taking a glass directly out of your dish washer as soon as it's done and putting it in your freezer. A BOV also keeps your turbo from backspooling, which will help in response and lag.
UM no. Its the fact the hot turbo will cook the oil which leads to coke'd bearings. Water cooled technology has helped solve this problem. Any way you should install a turbo timer to help your turbo life.

BOV helps against compressor surge. Compressor surge is when you let off the throttle and the air has no where to go but back into the turbo. Can be very harmful to the wheel.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:34 AM

"they get hot "

Yes turbos get hot.

"They ALL crack at some point"

No they do not ALL crack. Turbos don't crack. Cheaply made exhaust manifolds crack. The thermal expansion and cooling will destroy poorly made manifolds. Good stainless or cast manifolds will live a long time.

"they require lots of piping and an intercooler."
Yes all intake systems require piping. They don't require an intercooler but it would allow you to boost more than 4-5 psi and will allow you to boost more w/o detonation.

"they possess turbo lag"
Turbo lag...comon' you read that out of car and driver. It really only exists in HUGE drag racing turbos. Its the trade off for MASSIVE torque

"they burn oil"
NO

they need additional systems to increase reliability and life such as turbo timers"

systems? a $50 turbo timer, oh no.

Now even with all that, I would still recommend the TRD supercharger for 99% of the people here.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo?