Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recoloring interior of 3rd gen 4runner...PICS included

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MillerPKA
Just the person I was hoping was around. I'm mapping out my time I think I'll give it all of Saturday and Sunday. With everything out and laid in front of me I think 12 hours of painting and 24 hours of drying should be sufficient. If you don't mind I'd like to get some heads up on how to take off the dash. I was going to look into it more on Sunday but if you have time please PM or put here some details. Thanks!
Pretty much take off all hte panels you can...glove box, lower panel, dash panels...sides. I'd separate the top of the dash from the plastic part when you have it off. There are screws behind the gauge cluster too. No need to remove the steering wheel either.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Preparation is the most important thing as tv will tell you...

clean the surfaces with warm water dish soap and a scrub brush {a nail brush works well and is soft enough not to damage the surface} follow that up with electrical contact cleaner and soap water again... make sure the parts are completely dry and dust free and apply the paint in light coats from several angles allowing it to dry completely between coats... do the drying in a warm room if pos.

take your time and plan on it taking longer than you think and it will come out great...
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Use good primer. I used prepsol to prep the surfaces. If I were to do it again I'd just use the flat interior spray. Don't cheap out and use krylon...it doesnt come out the same. And definately take your time. Sand in between coats to keep the surface nice and removing the imperfections. The more layers the better and clear coat it too. This will keep it from scratching in the long run.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Got a link to what you're talking about? I didn't think of Krylon as cheaping out I think their fusion is great. I used gloss black on the center console this past weekend and it came out amazing
Old 11-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

I used Duplicolor interior paint matte black without primer... the krylon stuff has a tendency to orange peel and /or flake/peal off afterwards... prepsol is kind of like electrical contact cleaner... just remember once you have cleaned the surface do not handle the part with bare hands wear surgical/nitryl gloves, your finger oils will interfere with the paint adhesion. I've been black for almost 3yrs now all parts still looks 'new' except for scratch I caused in arm rest and two slight wear points on dash sides where my custom door skins rub. The truck is actually cooler now after being parked in full sun than before I painted it (original gray) go figure...
I did about 4 light coats allowing a full dry in between... the Duplicolor covers very well I shook the can for @4mins before each application to ensure a good mix.
I also found sanding between coats was not really needed the Dup has enough "tooth" without it and if you are not careful sanding will ruin the faux leather texture/pattern of the interior. If you find you need something to rough it up I'd use a green scotchbrite pad very lightly (just barely pass it over)... don't use a red one they are too rough...

after you are finished give the paint a week o so to fully cure after you re-install the parts then run over the surfaces with a clean rag made from a sweat shirt or similar soft fabric using the firm outside than the fleecy inside to knock down the paint "tooth" and put a final finish on the surface.

cleaning wise so far I just use a clean dust cloth/rag to clean the dust off in case of a rare coffee spill etc. apply some cleanser ie windex/plexus etc to a rag and rub the area so far most things just wipe off with no damage to the paint...

Last edited by aviator; 11-25-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Great post man thank you. Throw up some pictures why don't ya? I'd like to see some of this a year later since tv can't show us updated pictures.

Honestly I was looking at just taping off the front interior and painting the dash in cab. I haven't looked at whats required but when it comes to the airbag and everything I'd rather not tool with that at this point. Also, did you use the interior paint for any of the carpet/headliner? Looking for more first hand impressions. I'm currently looking at a new carpet but waiting to get back as there is a possibility they will sponsor the vehicle. Regardless I will be doing the headliner so I want to see how this comes out on carpet material.

Lastly, do they have flat black and grey? I was wanting to do a two-tone on the doors hopefully. Then lastly reupholster the seats with saddle brown.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

There is a Matte (flat) Black in the Duplicolor line for sure (I used it) I think there is a Matte Grey also but I'm not sure.
I would'nt use anything glossy on the dash areas or any spot that might reflect against the windshield since looking thru them at the road is distracting.
side note the matte black dash reflects far less than the stock grey dash did... in fact almost none at all... the pay and display parking tags appear to float in mid air lol
Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the whole dash board have to come out in order to remove this dash pad? It looks like it simply clips in place.

Name:  Day_02_002.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  Day_02_003.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  66.2 KB
Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by DRCOFFEE
Does the whole dash board have to come out in order to remove this dash pad? It looks like it simply clips in place.

Yeah bc it requires some metal clips to be unbent to remove the pad and then bent back into place afterwards.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

hey tv good to see you again it's been awhile...
Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
hey tv good to see you again it's been awhile...
Yeah I'm more active on the 4runner forum. I also have too many cars now including a silver 99 4 cyl 5 spd 3rd gen again. I'll be doing this black interior mod again at some point.