Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone lowered their 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turboale
A saying comes to mind, "If you don't have anything constructive to say...."

Minivan?? C'mon... I hardly know a female that would drive a minivan much less a guy. I for one, will never drive a mini-van. No matter how practical they are... Plus, if you READ THE THREAD, they aren't wanting to slam it, just lower it a bit for daily driving. Why use a 4Runner for a daily driver? It actually doesn't get bad mileage if you a, lift it and but big heavy tires on it or b, drive like a race-car driver. Lets see... they are reliable as hell, can tow if needed and you can find them cheap... Sounds like a good dd to me...? I personally haul a lot of crap around with me especially film equipment which would not fit into a car. (even a full size) and go look at most sedans now-a-days, hardly any of them have rear folding rear seats..??

Anyway...
My assumption is the 1" lowering springs are meant for the 2wd so if you have a 4x4 then it would be 2". If I remember correctly the lowering springs were progressive. I can't comment on ride b/c I never got them installed before shipping them off to Zubaltec.

Cool,
Why do you think Zubaltec's truck is too low? It appears to still be well over 1ft off the ground. It looks lower than it is b/c of the huge side steps he has on there. Also the tires he has on there are probably pretty tall. We are used to seeing 15-16" wheels but those are 18s so they might seem low profile-ish looking but they probably aren't as small as you think.

for sure man! i started this thread thinking i would get some quick.... here is who sells some. and then i got all these people bashing lowering a 4wd 2in!! its not that much! it will increase gas mileage and coefficent of drag. its a very nice ride, clean, comfortable and if it snows i still have a yota on 40in tires and huge lift. locked front and rear with dual cases.

thank you to the positive people that are trying to help out!! i appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM

I dont have any more pictures of that 4runner...

Originally Posted by Matt16
This is something I don't understand. Why lower a vehicle designed to go off road. It's heavy, low power-to-weight ratio and the everything is set up to deal with the challenges posed by traveling on an unpaved surface.

People with lowered SUV's just look like morons to me. THere are plenty of powerful, rear drive cars around that will handle much better and you won't look like a puff driving them. A Ford Mustang how about. They're cheap-ish, easy to customize and go fast. Even they will out corner a 4Runner.

Then again, if you want to buy a vehicle with lots of space, I'm sure there are minivans out there that will fit your needs much better than a formerly rugged off road truck turn mall-cruiser.

Someone please rid me of my evident naivety.
I bet over half of the people who buy 4runners and lift them will never even actually drive them to the point of needing a lift kit. Do you think thats stupid too? Heck, I think most people dont even use their 4wd 4runners to the point where a 2wd 4runner wouldnt suit their needs better. Doesnt mean they dont want the capability of 4wd when the day comes where its needed.

Theres probably other vehicles out there that are more efficient, cheaper and will do the job that your vehicle does better... but if its not what you (or they) want, then who cares?

As of ridding you of your evident naivety; I dont think thats possible.

Last edited by ornery; 02-12-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
This is something I don't understand. Why lower a vehicle designed to go off road. It's heavy, low power-to-weight ratio and the everything is set up to deal with the challenges posed by traveling on an unpaved surface.

People with lowered SUV's just look like morons to me. THere are plenty of powerful, rear drive cars around that will handle much better and you won't look like a puff driving them. A Ford Mustang how about. They're cheap-ish, easy to customize and go fast. Even they will out corner a 4Runner.

Then again, if you want to buy a vehicle with lots of space, I'm sure there are minivans out there that will fit your needs much better than a formerly rugged off road truck turn mall-cruiser.

Someone please rid me of my evident naivety.
The 4runner is a nice looking vehicle. I got rid of my sports car (Honda S2000) for something bigger since I was purchasing my first house, and needed some space for trips to Lowes, and moving stuff. It was the ONLY SUV that I considered, because it was reliable, and looked good, held its value, etc...

I live in SW Florida, and wouldnt mind having the thing corner with a bit less body roll, and be a bit more stable on the road. Would I like to lift it and put huge wheels on it? yes... but i dont want to look like all of the morons around here that do that, and dont even touch dirt since there isnt any.

And you can keep your rental car mustang... hopefully I can score myself another s2000 to keep me happy for really tearing up the streets again.

In the end... its called customizing for a reason. There are a lot of things that people do to their cars that I dont agree with, but hey, as long as it makes them happy, thats all that matters.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 PM

A few more pics of the Zubaltec's 4Runner...I can't find the pictures with the black volks though...

Name:  BlackwithVolks.jpg
Views: 14727
Size:  144.6 KB
Name:  BlackonVolks.jpg
Views: 9563
Size:  130.4 KB

These were the ones he went with while he waited for the black ones after selling the bronze ones to trangk.

Name:  DSC04628.jpg
Views: 2088
Size:  106.7 KB

And then these...I don't know if they'll make you puke or not...I like the one that has the lexus emblem...don't like the emblem...but the jdm sport kit is cool...

Name:  CFHood001.jpg
Views: 2796
Size:  71.7 KB
Name:  surfokaji1.jpg
Views: 3507
Size:  30.6 KB
Name:  surfokaji2.jpg
Views: 2435
Size:  27.8 KB
Name:  surftake1-1.jpg
Views: 2519
Size:  34.3 KB

But yeah heres the sport hilux surf. I got pretty close to ordering the lower valence. Quoted at 550 shipped just for the valence though. I still plan on maybe ordering it to keep for when I get another 3rd gen...
Name:  Surf6.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  10.5 KB
Name:  SportEditionHilux.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  68.9 KB

I'm sure some of yall remember me posting some of these pics a while back.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 PM

Heres a little bit more...trangk's runner. He has stoptech brakes on it...also the wheels were Zubaltec's former wheels...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...-w-pics-60869/

That's his install on the stoptechs...yeah not all 4runners have to be lifted to be awesome...atleast in my opinion. I'd rather be driving one instead of the TSX...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol a body kit on a 4runner is like a dress on a man. looks ugly.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ornery
I bet over half of the people who buy 4runners and lift them will never even actually drive them to the point of needing a lift kit. Do you think thats stupid too? Heck, I think most people dont even use their 4wd 4runners to the point where a 2wd 4runner wouldnt suit their needs better. Doesnt mean they dont want the capability of 4wd when the day comes where its needed.

Theres probably other vehicles out there that are more efficient, cheaper and will do the job that your vehicle does better... but if its not what you (or they) want, then who cares?

As of ridding you of your evident naivety; I dont think thats possible.
Just shows you the narrow mindedness and ignorance of people.

I like the color of this one:

But I like the look of a lowered Land Cruiser (LC100 in Japan I believe).

Old 02-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TheloniousMonk

I actually kinda dig that. Kinda reminds me of the old 50's panel trucks.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 AM

Zubaltec's 4runner doesnt look as lowered from the back picture. Hmm.

Is Trangk's lowered and if so, is it a 2wd? I think mine does need new shocks so I might as well do it all at the same time.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is how I bought mine. The owner had blown the motor so I got it for $2000

Name:  100_1758.jpg
Views: 2197
Size:  214.8 KB

But I fixed it now.

Name:  armorologybumper2.jpg
Views: 2173
Size:  92.8 KB
(The 2nd one isn't actually mine but it looks the same minus the roof rack)
Old 02-14-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheloniousMonk
Just shows you the narrow mindedness and ignorance of people.

That's clean as hell!!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
That's clean as hell!!
While I'm not sure how clean hell actually is,

...I'd rock that bad boy.

Seriously, the more I look at that thing, the more I like it.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 PM

I'd say hell is nasty place.. but you know what I mean! lol
Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
I'd say hell is nasty place.. but you know what I mean! lol

I know what you mean. I was just messing with ya...

But yeah, that Runner is really clean. I had a lowered Camry back in high School. I did the tuner thing for a while, then got turned on to off roading.

But as a second vehicle, I'd seriously rock that thing.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM

Well I took the first step and got an addco rear sway bar. Hopefully that'll make it a little more stable.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:52 AM

so does that black one just have the one inch lowering springs? pp or burtman's??
Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 AM

If anyone wants to drop their 3rd gen 2" in the rear I have some sagged out springs you can have.

We all drive our vehicles because we like them, right. Not everyone goes off road, and not everyone wants their vehicles to look the same. And not all 4runners were built for off road, that's why they make 2wd versions.

I like driving my 2000 so much I would mind a second one that was built for the street. A 2wd V6 with a 5speed, MPG is as good as the average sedan. Stock my 2000 5spd 4x4 gets the same mileage as my friends V6 Camry. And its more comfortable for me.

And in the concrete jungle that is Los Angeles, cars can get beatup with the poor shape of the roads around here. The SUV is superior in that regard.

I think 2" drop with sway bars and 17's or 18's would be perfect street vehicle.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 AM

I did a little searching and I found a japanese website that sells kits for our 4runners http://www.shuei.co.jp/shopping/suspe/suspension.html If the free webconvert pages work correctly i looks like they have a full suspension available for around $1000 NOT including shipping. This would include front & rear springs, Shocks and a stabilizer bar of some sort... Here are some other photos I found browsing..
*4runner bodykits
*larger fender flares
*pic of some lexus looking tacoma...

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone lowered their 4runner?-shuei_1886_31967038.gif   Anyone lowered their 4runner?-185fspo1.jpg  
Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 AM

a few more
Attached Thumbnails Anyone lowered their 4runner?-1615.jpg   Anyone lowered their 4runner?-185fbumper.jpg   Anyone lowered their 4runner?-underflap.jpg  
Old 02-26-2008, 05:29 PM

Ummm... Were these photos touched up with PhotoShop??

Quick Reply: Anyone lowered their 4runner?