Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'99 4WD V6 4Runner - Transmission resistance and hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the update, I opened my drums and couldn't see anything but I'll check that assembly next.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 PM

E brake troubles

Originally Posted by KU_MechE
This turned out to be my e-brake. The clevis pin had completely corroded and seized causing the e-brake to be slightly on most of the time. The problem compounded when I had a leaking rear axle seal and that axle fluid caused the brakes to stick even more. Since i've replaced the e-brake clevis parts, clevis pins, rear bearings, and rear axle seals, I have no sticking in any weather. The rest of the drivetrain is great!

When i got my 4runner the section of bracket welded on the frame for the pivot point for the e-brake was not even there! It must have broken off some how. I have this mental image of a truck impaled on a large pointy rock. I cut one off a junk car and welded it onto mine and has been fine since 4 years ago.

I summarized every thing i have done with my truck on my web site that you can view here: http://www.craigginsberg.com/safari-battle-cruizer/

Last edited by Battle cruizer; 12-13-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Forgot title
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM

I hosed out the drums and brake assemblies with cleaner and really didn't see anything obviously wrong. The shoes were good except one was worn a little more than the other three. The bell housings looked good and the ebrake actuates but still doesn't do much. Its not sticking anymore but I'm not sure how spraying it fixed it unless there was a tiny bit of oil causing all the sticking. odd.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
KU MechE,
I'm bumping this thread as my truck has started exhibiting the exact same behavior over the last week or so. I reverse out of my driveway in the morning (no issue engaging reverse) and when I select "D" it feels as if something is holding the truck for a moment. No issues whatsoever the rest of the day, and I tend to stop & restart the truck numerous times every day.

Like you, I have always done all of my own maintenance & repair work (apart from tires, alignments and transmission flushes).

I will take a good look at the bell crank assemblies, but I did replace rear seals & bearings within the last few months.

A few points:
- 310,500+ miles
- original owner
- transmission fluid check this morning while running, hot, and in "P" (full)
- transmission flushed three times (every 100,000 miles) using BG machine & Toyota fluid
- transmission pan never dropped - so filter is original
- transmission always dropped into "N" while at a stop light
- truck driven vigorously for 13+ years

Any additional thoughts?

Andreas
Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 AM

Andreas,

Check your parking brake system and bellcranks to ensure everything is disengaged. Also, check your rear brakes drums/shoes to ensure there is no axle fluid in there causing the shoes to stick.

post up your results
Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KU_MechE
Andreas,

Check your parking brake system and bellcranks to ensure everything is disengaged. Also, check your rear brakes drums/shoes to ensure there is no axle fluid in there causing the shoes to stick.

post up your results
Just came in from checking everything out. No oil in the drums (I'm hoping this is due to my fastidious oil seal install & unobstructed breather). The bell cranks move freely, as does the pivot arm for the crossover cable. I oiled all of these points.

Then I oiled the pivot points of the shift linkage.

Lastly, I backed off my hand brake adjuster. I tend to keep this at 3 or 4 clicks until it holds. Now its at 8 clicks until firm. This may have been the issue?

I'll report back how it acts in the morning.

Andreas
Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

After a few days of using the truck, I can report that the issue is gone.

Andreas