86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

more power out of my 22re

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more power out of my 22re

I installed a cold air intake kit, put on a header, but still need more power for the 31 inch tires. Has anyone swapped the battery and airfilter, it seams like I'd get more cold air from the passenger side of the engine compartment.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech!

Questions like this get asked several times a month and the topic has been beat to death over and over, so a little searching will net you several threads to reference for power upgrades.

To answer your specific question, yes, people have swapped the battery and intake. Whether or not it actually makes a significant difference in performance is debatable since you usually have to put a tighter bend on the intake to get things to fit on the passenger side - but yes, the air might technically be "cooler" since the tube doesn't pass over the radiator -- but a "cold air intake" isn't really cold if you're pulling air from inside the engine bay with an open filter. The stock airbox with the airdam/scoop thingy attached would be better at sucking in "cold" air since it pulls from outside the engine bay; stock filter also filters more particulates than cone filter. Even better would be a snorkel setup, which always pulls fresh air, has mild ram-air effects, will help prevent hydro-lock, and visually looks cool.

As for getting more power from your 22re, good luck. These motors were designed to just keep running and get you moving, not provide lots of power to do burnouts or 80+mph driving. There are only a few mods to make the 22re put out more power, but even with all the upgrades it's still not going to make that much difference and you'd probably be better off spending the money on an engine swap if you truly want significantly more power.

Listening to someone else preaching only goes so far - so search, read up, and educate yourself on these things and come to your own conclusions.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 PM

http://lcengineering.com/
Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 PM

I did do a intake battery swap. I mostly noticed a little throttle response and the engine noise inside the cab almost disappeared.... until I put my LCE header on (course it's from a nasty header exhaust leak) I'm probably going to redesign my swap on the intake part and put my stock box on like 4crawler has on his rig. espically with how he has his piping to not rub against the upper radiator hose.

There's also the infamous supra AFM that will make another difference to the truck along with a 2 1/4 inch exhaust coupled onto your header.

You might look into 22reperformance, they have a great ported and polished new head, when combined with a new performance cam, after a cam there's just little nit picky stuff I've seen other than a turbo on it that really makes any big changes. I haven't seen any real numbers from a larger throttle body, nor a throttle body spacer. As stated before the 22re does not have a whole ton of performance to be gained from it other than regearing. You might enjoy 4:56 for a pep, or just go all out for a 4:88 for 33's later.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 PM

i agree with a head up grade but 22re performance is on the big $$ side of life i personaly port heads and ported the one on my car. my and my dads engine shop stock 22res with a cam normaly make 89.7whp to 84whp and 107footpounds to 113 foot pounds. thats 107.7 fly hp and 135.6 foot pounds to the flywheel !!!!!! for 1800 bucks thats not a bad deal over the 2000 from 22re performance. and they dont make as much u have to get there 2800 engine to get that power. but the biggest power gain on the motors we build is mkaing sure all the eletronics is up to specs! cuz we normaly install are enigne for are custumers as well. so google all the specs and make sure everything checks out. the tps is the biggest thing to make sure is right! but for $180 bucks i can sell ya the cam we use to make that power and btw the truck we dynoed was turning 35'S

Last edited by 85celicagthatchback; 10-20-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
build a .60 over lc engine with a ˟˟˟˟ load of portin and polishing a good cam and electronics, knife the crank, deck the head and run propane! you will be around 200 hp! its fun!!! the whole truck is for sale or trade!!