86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

andlours The black "beast" '86 4Runner build

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, so I finally got around to buying a CB radio. I had a lot of extra room in my engine Ibay, so i decided to throw a cheap PA horn under there until I get my dual battery setup or an air compressor. Here are the pics:

Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 222 Likes on 163 Posts
That blue wire is eating my brain, I want to reach through here and stuff it under your console but I'm a freak like that!!! Anyway looks good where did you guys go wheeling, I'm looking for some minor trails out here but everything has been closed or is way to hairy for my rig, I used to go all the time years ago and I will be danged to remember where the heck we went.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 PM

Ha i tucked that blue wire behind the console just for you. One of the closest trails in Denver is Left Hand canyon. It's a pretty fun trail and not too difficult if you dont run the whole trail or go through some of the obstacle bypasses. I ran Gross Reservoir trail today. That was a really fun, easy trail too. There are also a lot of different spurs and off trails to explore in that region, if you want something a little more difficult. Do some exploring on traildamage.com to find a lot of quality trails too. Recently I got this book http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Trail.../dp/1930193505 and that has helped out a lot too. If you're nearby in the Denver area we should definitely link up and go wheeling on some moderate stuff. Oh yeah, those pictures above are from a trail near terryall reservoir in fairplay.

Sorry that all of that was so jumbled, but I hope you got the idea ha.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 222 Likes on 163 Posts
Yea I was thinking of that trail book for future trips seems it has some good info, and I have been to left hand and what's weird I just went to gross the other day the back way and I didn't see squat for trails besides the main road to the lake? But I wasn't looking too hard either. But I plan to do more wheeling for sure this summer be way cool to go with some peeps hit me up when your going and I will see what's going on. But right on for getting rid of the wire I can now go to bed
Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM

In order to get to the trails, I take highway 72 west until it dead ends at Peak to Peak highway. Then I take a right on that and stay on that for a few miles. Then take another right onto Magnolia Rd. for about 3-4 miles and finally another right onto Colorado 68. You'll drive down some pretty easy graded stuff the first hundred yards and you can either go to the right where there's a big parking lot and camping area then funnels into a trail that'll take you all the way down to the reservoir, or you can go left and snake down a graded dirt road for about half a mile then it gets pretty rocky and fun. The trail to Gross Reservoir is rated at a 3 in my book, and I'd say the other trail is about a 5. Let me know if you have any questions. But I would definitely love to get a big group of Denver YotaTech members together and have a good wheeling trip.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andlours
whats the story on the blue runners sunroof? lol looks kind of cool!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you yota86. But that's my buddy's runner. Apparently his dad was driving into a parking garage and the gate hit his roof. Instead of repairing the roof he just put in an aftermarket sunroof in. It's actually pretty cool, it's split in the middle and has a latch for the passenger and driver. I wish I could tell you what exact brand it is, but it was installed like ten years ago.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:39 AM

Well, it's been too long since I've updated anything on this thread, but here's what I've done so far.

I upgraded my front discs to 95 4runner deities and calipers and also nagged an fj80 master cylinder from the junk yard for $20. In the rear I got everything serviced and changed out the shoes, springs, etc. Here is the only picture I took of the front brake install:

I also was able to do a ZUK mod in the rear with 16" rear coils from a 2000 4Runner. In the front I installed a set of 4crawler BJ spacers.

Here are some of the pictures from the install:

Had to compress the springs quite a bit

Sitting next to my new bilstein 5100s

With only the rear coils in and no top

With everything done and the top on

In the end, I really like the final ride height. I think the little bit of rake will be good so that I can pack up lots of gear and not have the usual sag. For only $140 total, I'/m happy with the end result.

Last edited by andlours; 07-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Well guys, a brief update on the Runner. I've decided it's about time to do a full engine rebuild. I'm currently at school (750 miles away from my tools and garage), but I'll have a month off for Christmas. I'll keep this thread up to date with all of that info, and everything else. Wish me Luck! Any advice or part choosing help would definitely be appreciated!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Well I'm in Oklahoma right now for school, so i haven't really had the resources to do any more mods on my truck lately, but I was able to check out the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge and take a few pictures of my truck and the scenery.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
nice runner! very clean! my first truck was an '86 4runner. we'll have to hit some trails sometime when your back in CO!

Last edited by liveoffroad; 11-01-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
nice runner! very clean! my first truck was an '86 4runner. we'll have to hit some trails sometime when your back in CO!
I would love to! I'm gonna be back in town December 15th - January 14th. I'm gonna try and get a lot done to the runner in the month i have off (i.e. timing chain, hot cam, CVs, body work, etc), but I'm sure i could find time to do some snow blasting with another YotaTech junkie like myself.

I checked out your build thread, and to be honest, your runner puts mine to shame ha. I hope mine can perform as well as yours someday. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 AM

nice man! need to ditch those warn hubs before they leave you somewhere, go back to a set of aisins
Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 AM

I've heard mixed reviews about the Warns. The PO put them on there. Think it'd be worth the investment to buy a set off of CL for about $100? What's so bad about the Warns though?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looking real nice! Subscribed.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 AM

For the next month or so I won't have too many updates for you guys (being away from a garage and tools and all), but I've got a lot of plans for over Christmas break. I'll make sure to keep detailed progress on all of that stuff. I'm also considering changing out my 32" x 11.5" tires for some 33x10.5 or 35x10.5 (if some even exist ha).
Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I subscribed with e-mail notifications so I'll get pinged over break!

I'm thinking of stepping up to 33" tires too. I've got to choose between that and the cheaper option of just replacing two of my existing 32" tires that are worn low.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Well, I can't do much off at school, but I did get SCToy to make me some aluminum shift knobs. I absolutely love em!

Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you like em!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 PM

Nice runner man! I love the bumers can you tell me the web sight to find them

Quick Reply: andlours The black "beast" '86 4Runner build