Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

chevy swap problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevy swap problems?

after spending many months looking at all the other swap posts i keep seeing a problem when people are using a clutch behind the chev motors with the slave cyclinder not extending enough to operate properly. ive seen people machine down the flywheel thickness, remove shimsbetween flywheel and crank. most seem to be running a stock slave or dont say if thay are using a diff one. my questions is should you use the land cruiser slave like advance adapters sells? does it have a longer throw vs the stock one? and can you check this before assembling in your rig? would you measure the distance between the back mating surface of the block to the clutch mating surface of the flywheel? what should it be? im getting ready to swap this combo into my 90 runner and am trying to foresee the problems before they happen. there seems to pretty mixed opinions to between whether to use Northwest Offroad or advance adapters? my plan it to convert it to r15 series trans with gear drive trans case powered by chev motor. I have a 92 350 tbi roller motor i was planning on using but am really thinking of going to a 4.3 for breakage issues? toy trans wont hold up? i dont want to need to be a lil aggressive in a hole and worry about tearing up my trans. just looking for your 0.02 cents on this
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM

well it all depends on what engine the toyota had originally. If you had the 3.0l v6 manual then yes the transmission can hold up to a mild 350, I don't know if I would trust the 4 cylinder transmissions. Also I used the advance adapter land cruiser slave cylinder and it worked well. It comes with an adjustable push rod which should allow for the right adjustment, you just have to fiddle with it to get it right.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM

ya i was planning on using a v6 trans(r15* series) so it will fit in stock location and since ill need a slave cyclinder ill get the aa land cruiser one thanks for your 0.02 cents
Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 PM

no problem man! The problem I'm facing right now is rear axle wrap when I take off strongly from stop. It looks like the axle just wants to rip out from underneath the truck.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 PM

check your bushing in each end of your leaf springs? or maybe your trannie mount in moving? if those are good you might just need new /stiffer spring could always add aleaf or two see if that helps
Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Yea I've talked to a few people and most are suggesting either chevy springs or some track bars.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:17 PM

You can save a little
Money and get the slave for a landcruiser from napa. The bellhousing kit from AA comes with a longer pushrod for the slave but not the slave itself. Also to get my 350 to fit nicely I had to move my trans back about 4 inches. I have the R150 trans and it is LONG! I just made new mounting spots for the crossmember and shortened the rear driveline. As for the axle wrap, I haven't had any problems yet but I am running trail gear springs, which from what I have read, has a special leaf added to help with that. But I am considering adding a trac bar for extra support
Old 02-10-2012, 04:17 PM

so what is the point of the land cruiser slave then? I'd like to keep the trans in the stock location or close to it im starting to think a 4.3 is more for me and ill just sell the 350 i have. The added power is nice for sure but i have to do this as cheaply as possible, The wife doesnt understand my toyota addiction. I have the 63 chevs on my 82 and i love them they ride so nice compared to the stock rears. Only a 22r so axlewrap isnt a problem.lol Made me realise how worn my fronts were too lol
Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 AM

The landcruiser slave does have a longer throw and with this setup still requires a longer pushrod. You can leave the trans in the stock place but you will probably have to relocate the radiator. I totally understand the wife thing. Mine is exactly the same way! Good luck with everything.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 PM

ok thats what i was wondering. Im thinking of going with the 4.3 more and more each day just for the ease of it compared to the 350 i wont have to move my trans or rad and with a few upgrades 4.3 makes decent power. Love your 4runner Dras, hope mine gets to that point sooner then later
Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM

Yea, with my 350 I had to relocate the radiator and I still had to move the transmission back about 3 inches to make everything fit nicely, but I did use the serpentine belt setup so it took up more room. The 4.3l would definitely be less trouble and save you some headache. Plus you will have more room to work on it when something goes wrong. Good luck man.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks Shorty! It didnt get there overnight, its taken the better part of three years to get where it is now. I still have a lot of plans for it in the future. Good luck with whichever way you choose to go. Make sure to take a lot of pictures along the way and share them with us!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM

hi, i have already done this swap. 92 4.3 tbi in a 90 yota 4x4 extended cab pickup and i can tell you that you will have to move transmission back about 4 inches unless you move radiator in front of radiator support. it is a simple swap all together, i also have the land cruiser slave and also a land cruiser clutch master cylinder.