All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1988 4runner 1uz swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
RMA, thank you for uploading the engine PDF's , i am in the process of sewing them together to make one large schematic. I should have it finished in a day or two, and here is my plan.
I will print you out a large (poster size) print and send it to you on my dime, and you in return write all over it, making notes, then send it back for me to update.

What do you think? I really don't want to create more work for you, but would rather help capture pertinent information for this swap, and hopefully make it easier on you to have a large schematic, rather then paging thru a book.

I also offer this service to anyone else doing this swap right now...Shaggy, ...anyone else?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
RMA, thank you for uploading the engine PDF's , i am in the process of sewing them together to make one large schematic. I should have it finished in a day or two, and here is my plan.
I will print you out a large (poster size) print and send it to you on my dime, and you in return write all over it, making notes, then send it back for me to update.

What do you think? I really don't want to create more work for you, but would rather help capture pertinent information for this swap, and hopefully make it easier on you to have a large schematic, rather then paging thru a book.

I also offer this service to anyone else doing this swap right now...Shaggy, ...anyone else?

i will be wiring this swap a little different than the rest since the harnesses are different than the ls 400 .. im beginning io think this sc400 harnesses are wired from the factory in a more convienient way than the ls .

i will be removing the original 3.0 COR relay and installing in its place the sc400's fuel pump control module along with using the sc400'f fuel pump ..

I already stiched together all the engine wiring into one big schematic .. But i completely covered it with some clear tape, like laminating it i guess.
so i cant write on mine ..
but ill send you my address and go ahead and send me this poster size deal.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

ok havent really worked to much on this thing , busy with some sid jobs for the neighbors

but heres a couple pics anyway.

wires scattered evrwhere.

someone had already crip spliced a new main fuse box to this car ..

Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

another wiring pic

got some wires identified and labeled .. i also found a mistake in the diagrams .. between two of the diagrams they tell you different things .. one diagram is right and one is wrong for the same circuit. not really important but found it none the less.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed as well.

Almost ready to start looking for a donor for my swap (86 4x4), just have some suspension details to finish up.

Couple questions.

If you use an LS donor, is the SC cluster plug and play to the LS harness? I like the way you did the cluster in the red one, plan on shamelessly stealing that idea.

I have never found a clear picture of it but does the motor or exhaust extend past the outside edges of the framerails?
I have a long travel (Total Chaos) kit on my truck and the hoops for the coilovers sit even with the outer edges of the frame.

Any modifications required to the oil pickup when you reshape the pan to clear the front diff?

Have you integrated any of the donor cars features into your swaps?
I am interested in retaining the motorized steering column, window motors, locks and security (with the transmitter key).

How tight is hood clearance without a body lift?
Truck is going to be fully caged so I have to sneak a couple of tubes across the engine compartment. I have a fiberglass hood and fenders that to give a little bit of extra room and am not above doing a 1in body lift if I have no other choice.

How difficult have you found it to get your swaps past the BAR ref? I have read they are getting VERY picky about catalytic converter placement and obviously the way the stock exhaust is routed will not work in a truck. Have you found them being forgiving with having to rotate/relocate the precats (I guess that is what the ones right off the manifolds are called) and having to shift the primary cat off to one side to account for the driveshaft?

Have you gotten the what is needed out of the donor list down to a science
? While I can keep the donor for the duration of the project, I would prefer to get what I need and get rid of the rest fairly quickly. Might be a couple of months before the swap is complete (rebuilding the entire truck at the same time).

Thanks and good luck with this one. If my first one goes well, I will be doing another.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 AM
RBX

RMA,
Can you PM me the discrepancy, and i will correct the schematic before i send it out this week?

Thanks,
RB
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by N2Frodn
Subscribed as well.

Almost ready to start looking for a donor for my swap (86 4x4), just have some suspension details to finish up.

Couple questions.

If you use an LS donor, is the SC cluster plug and play to the LS harness? I like the way you did the cluster in the red one, plan on shamelessly stealing that idea.
no its not , you need the sc combo meter wiring diagram, along with the ls and 3.0 cluster diagrams ..

I have never found a clear picture of it but does the motor or exhaust extend past the outside edges of the framerails?
I have a long travel (Total Chaos) kit on my truck and the hoops for the coilovers sit even with the outer edges of the frame.

dont think so , the exhaust manifolds are just inside the steering

Any modifications required to the oil pickup when you reshape the pan to clear the front diff?
using the ls engine on an ifs you dont need to reshape anything

Have you integrated any of the donor cars features into your swaps?
I am interested in retaining the motorized steering column, window motors, locks and security (with the transmitter key).
just the cluster .. was going to install the wirelss and security but the truck and swap are sold and am not getting paid to do it .. so not going to .

How tight is hood clearance without a body lift?
Truck is going to be fully caged so I have to sneak a couple of tubes across the engine compartment. I have a fiberglass hood and fenders that to give a little bit of extra room and am not above doing a 1in body lift if I have no other choice.
valve covers hit the brake booster so you need at least a 1" lift ...if you try and move the engine forward to clear the booster you run out of room for a radiator.
How difficult have you found it to get your swaps past the BAR ref? I have read they are getting VERY picky about catalytic converter placement and obviously the way the stock exhaust is routed will not work in a truck. Have you found them being forgiving with having to rotate/relocate the precats (I guess that is what the ones right off the manifolds are called) and having to shift the primary cat off to one side to account for the driveshaft?
i only reffed one and it was no problem .. like 45 minutes and all was good . i did move the cats back some and rotated them and had no problems , but i guess its all luck man .. others have had difficult times with their reff.

Have you gotten the what is needed out of the donor list down to a science
? While I can keep the donor for the duration of the project, I would prefer to get what I need and get rid of the rest fairly quickly. Might be a couple of months before the swap is complete (rebuilding the entire truck at the same time).
no i havent .. used both cars and they are wired very different .. really recommend the ls 400 for the way the wiring is routed in that car .. the main reason is the ls 400 has both its main relays right next to the engine ecu so its much easier to connect them to the 3.0 body wires . the sc has the main relays at the front drivers main fuse box , so you have to rewire or reroute some main wires.just pull all the wireing and deal with what you dont need later , gives you alot of extra wire to play with also.
Thanks and good luck with this one. If my first one goes well, I will be doing another.

good luck on yours man !!!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:47 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBX
RMA,
Can you PM me the discrepancy, and i will correct the schematic before i send it out this week?

Thanks,
RB
i will when i get home this afternoon .. one diagram says so so wire goes to D2 the other diagram says C2 .. its really C2.. my brain is still recovering so i dont remember exactly right now
Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers!

Couple more questions if you don't mind.

On the Cluster swap, will I need to grab the SC plugs from a junkyard as well or do the LS cluster plugs just need the wires relocated to work?

I am aiming to get the engine down as low as possible in the chassis. Using an LS engine as opposed to an SC means I don't have to do the oil pan like the one on the red 4runner? Or does the red one sit lower in the frame then LS swaps that you have done?

My truck had a 22r in it, I also have a complete harness from a 93 22re. Any idea if one would be a better starting point then the other? Keep in mind this truck is nothing more then a bare frame, suspension and a gutted cab at this point, I am literally starting from scratch. Heck, the thought of modifying an LS dash to fit the truck has crossed my mind, although it does look a bit too big.

I better go buy a donor soon, my girlfriend is getting nervous about me creeping around her LS400 with a tape measure.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by N2Frodn
Thanks for the answers!

Couple more questions if you don't mind.

On the Cluster swap, will I need to grab the SC plugs from a junkyard as well or do the LS cluster plugs just need the wires relocated to work?
you need ths sc cluster plugs .. they are different

I am aiming to get the engine down as low as possible in the chassis. Using an LS engine as opposed to an SC means I don't have to do the oil pan like the one on the red 4runner? Or does the red one sit lower in the frame then LS swaps that you have done?

the maroon 4runner has the engine way lower because of the frankenpan we made using the sc pan.. using the ls pan the steering is the first thing to get in the way, then the diff

My truck had a 22r in it, I also have a complete harness from a 93 22re. Any idea if one would be a better starting point then the other? Keep in mind this truck is nothing more then a bare frame, suspension and a gutted cab at this point, I am literally starting from scratch. Heck, the thought of modifying an LS dash to fit the truck has crossed my mind, although it does look a bit too big.

havent done anything with the 4cylinders but i would guess the efi harness would be better .. or maybe just the whole ls harness.. do it and let us know .
I better go buy a donor soon, my girlfriend is getting nervous about me creeping around her LS400 with a tape measure.

good luck !!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:54 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

ok so finished with labeling and identifying the wires and connectors i will be using off the engine harness.
i will be leaving some wires as spares .. will add a connector on both sides of the firewall for any future wiring that the owner may want to do. wires will be thru the firewall already for him .
ive starting on thinning out and labeling the harness for the alt and main power to the ecu .

Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

finally started soldering

this is what i kept from the harness pictured above

gonna use the ABS relays and box to power the what the EFI,Starter ,ignition main relays were powering in the sc.

decided to remove one of the ABS relays (has Diodes) and put the original ignition main relay in the box.

gonna have one spare .. for whatever.

and first wire soldered tons more to go .

wired the EFi relay and half the ignition main .. got tired
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM
RBX

Nice work, I apologize for not getting the prints to you already, work and plotter issues slowed me down. I will be sending them shortly.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBX
Nice work, I apologize for not getting the prints to you already, work and plotter issues slowed me down. I will be sending them shortly.
no problem .. im not in any hurry to get them ,yet

almost done with this small harness .. i basically followed the engine diagram exactly , but used the abs relays instead..

still need to go to the junkyard and get the fuse box ill be using for the sarter,EFI,Ignition main relays.. same one that was used on the maroon 4runner ..
you can see it here attached to the positive terminal of the battery..
Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

so heres a partial diagram of the above harness.. the fuses are not pictured .

heres the original abs,traction diagram

Last edited by RMA; 03-18-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:32 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

didnt have much time to work on this thing today .. just fixed the alternator wires at the plug ,they were pretty beat up..

i also coated the electrical tape with liquid electrical tape, used it a couple times and its been holding up well against the heat from the engine.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM
RBX

Nice work on those connections, looks like a pro did it.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBX
Nice work on those connections, looks like a pro did it.
thanks ! learning to just take it easy and not hurry , along with doing 3 other alternator plugs for the 1uz , id hope they look good

be sure and check on that also when you start yours.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

so im gonna end up shortening the main wire for the alternator , will remove the white cable from EA2-1 on.
also the lexus alternator wires are super small like 20gauge or so, from the alternator they are 14-16gauge? then at about 2 ft at connector EA1 they go down to about 20gauge.. the 4runner wires are like 8-10 gauge maybe , alot thicker.. i havent had any problems with the others but dont really like how that works out .. im gonna remove the 20 gauge wires and put some 14 gauge in there.

im also going to cut connector C ( 3.0 alternator plug) and put a water tight connector there to connect to the 1uz alternator harness.then just run it through the radiator support.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
charging.pdf (25.1 KB, 432 views)
File Type: pdf
power source.pdf (48.4 KB, 467 views)
Old 03-23-2011, 02:29 AM
RBX

RMA, I have the prints ready to ship. Going to try to get them out today.

Quick Reply: 1988 4runner 1uz swap