3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

How many passed CA referee?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many passed CA referee?

How many people passed the California State Referee program?

What side exhaust drop did you use?
What year 3.4? If 2000 or later, did you have to use two cats?

Thanks. I'm trying to finish up my 3.0-to-3.4 swap in my 92 pickup and getting antsy about the ref.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have. Passenger drop, kept the 97 Transfer case attached to the trans for clearance. Told him I was swapping in a Wagoner axle later. Mine is 97 Runner/auto. Mine is one CAT. I have nothing altered to the last o2 sensor.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Oh yeah. I was following your thread. Congrats!

I'm more interested if anyone passed with a driver's exhaust drop. I'm in Sacramento, and from what I hear, the ref here has seen tons of 3.4 swaps.

A while back (mid-year last year), I was talking to a guy with a shop in Olivehurst (Bentup or something like that?) and he had two re 3.4 swaps, and he was getting ready to do a 1UZ. I didn't see if his 3.4's were driver's side or passenger's side.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Instead of guessing, why not initiate a conversation with the ref? Find out what he's willing to accept. That's the real determinant here. FWIW, I need to have a similar conversation with a ref in the San Mateo area where I live (not doing a swap, but I'll be converting 2wd->4wd and auto->manual).

Jeff
Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Hi mosk.

I have actually thought about that. The reason why I didn't call the ref and talk to them is because, what else would a ref tell me? Of course he'll tell me that I need to keep it unmodified. What they're supposed to do and what they actually do might be different things. I'm not saying that they're breaking any laws by passing people, but maybe there are more lenient refs out there.

That's why I want to know if people have done it with the driver's side drop and still passed.

For example, when I called the ref to speak to him about the catalytic converter, I never really got the answer I was looking for. My question was, since I have a 2000 3.4 ECU and engine, how many cats do I need? He gave me a link to a site that gave me which cats are legal. He was unable to answer my specific question. And the site doesn't specify if the 2000 3.4 Tacoma needs two cats or just one. The rest of the web gives me conflicting answers. So just you know, I am going with two before I get it re.

Oh, on the same subject, the muffler shop wants me to fail the ref, in order for them to determine which cat(s) I need. How's that for an answer?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 AM

I hear you about the published rules being vague and hard information being scarce, and I couldn't agree more. I'm sure you're correct that there is variety from ref to ref, but I have to think it would be worthwhile to at least approach a ref ahead of time and have a conversation with him and get a sense of what his approach is. You can learn a lot by speaking with someone, and it may be obvious from a simple, general conversation about the process if the ref is someone who feels rule bound or someone who is following the spirit of the law but is more lenient in its application. I suspect the former but I'd love to be wrong.

And as long as we're talking about this topic, maybe someone who's been through it, like dntsdad, can talk about the actual process a bit: how long does it take, do you have to leave the vehicle overnight, what fees are involved, etc.?

-Jeff
Old 07-12-2010, 06:24 AM

The whole process took about 45 minutes for me. He never hooked up to an actual smog machine because my truck wasnt due for its smog. It was only a visual check that everything was in place. He will print a data sheet from Mitchell or All-Data or something and compare that what was OEM on your vehicle.

My ref told me there was a bulletin sent out recently (this was in Feb I think) particularly about Toyota 3.4 swaps advising on the crossover being swapped. In fact, when I got there, that was the first question he asked before we even walked to the truck. "What side is the exhaust on?"

For me there was no fee because it was only visual. I'd guess that if there was an actual smog inspection (on a dyno) there would have been.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 PM

RAGE!!!! So i went to the bar today everything passed except the cat. I'm so freaking pissed. I bought the california approved from NAPA.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50070+2070015

which states it's for the 98 4Runner with the 3.4 and the ref failed it because the CA # doesn't match anything in his database...

Oh and mind you i have the exhaust dumped on the driver side so we now know this isn't an issue.

But NAPA and Walker Exhaust is going to hear from me tomorrow morning and someone is going to pay the full cost of a new CA complaint cat and the cost for installation...

RAGGGGGGGEEEE!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dem0nk1d

Oh and mind you i have the exhaust dumped on the driver side so we now know this isn't an issue.
Cool to know! That's great!

Sux on the cat issue though. The state mandated a list of approved cats as of Jan 2008(?), and the 4Runner doesn't have any listed yet, so you might be stuck with trying to find an OEM cat.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 PM

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-182-47.pdf

i found proof in this pdf that the cat i have should be legal. damn it now i have to go back and prove to the ref that he is a we-tard.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM

I maybe driving down to San Diego if your ref is passing driver side drops.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM

RAGE!!!! So i went to the bar today everything passed except the cat. I'm so freaking pissed. I bought the california approved from NAPA.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50070+2070015

which states it's for the 98 4Runner with the 3.4 and the ref failed it because the CA # doesn't match anything in his database...

But NAPA and Walker Exhaust is going to hear from me tomorrow morning and someone is going to pay the full cost of a new CA complaint cat and the cost for installation...

RAGGGGGGGEEEE!!!!
Guarantee it is in Fresno.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
What if you guys are putting a set of headers on? I would assume the side drop issue is gone right? Also, do you think you would have less chance to pass if you had one of the TRD SCs on? I know its all normally legal, but being the swap situation, seems like people would just be difficult to be difficult.

Last edited by mbomberz1; 09-24-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:46 PM

as long as it has CA numbers you should be fine. I'm heading back to the REF next monday at 9am. I'm going to show all the paper work i found on the cat, and will show him the direct link from ARB.CA.GOV's website

God that guy frustrated the crap out of me. I should have had my sticker....
Old 09-24-2010, 01:57 PM

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-182-47.pdf

i found proof in this pdf that the cat i have should be legal. damn it now i have to go back and prove to the ref that he is a we-tard.

Here is a list of legal aftermarket cats as of June 9, 2010. If it's not listed there, it's not legal.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...xemptcat09.pdf
Old 09-25-2010, 07:04 AM

i stopped by the ref, on the way home yesterday and showed him my findings. which i was correct. super lame that i now know i could have had my sticker thursday when i went.

i'm going back monday morning. the ref said they should have the info on the arb.ca.gov aftermarket drop down menu and not a link... his fail not mine... sucks i have to go back...
Old 09-25-2010, 07:10 AM

i stopped by the ref, on the way home yesterday and showed him my findings. which i was correct. super lame that i now know i could have had my sticker thursday when i went.

i'm going back monday morning. the ref said they should have the info on the arb.ca.gov aftermarket drop down menu and not a link... his fail not mine... sucks i have to go back...
I know its frustrating. I had to go back 3 times for my first stiker, and now that I am changing to 5 speed I have been twice without getting any resolution because he always runs out of time for my appointment allotment.

However, if you get through with the drivers drop crossover, I'd be damn happy, even going back a few times.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 AM

This is true, i'll post my sticker monday sometime.. All this for a sticker.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM

So i'm apart of the California 3.4 Legal Club. Posting pic in the morning. Woot
Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Congrats

So i'm apart of the California 3.4 Legal Club. Posting pic in the morning. Woot
Party at dem0nk1d's house. Ha ha. Congrats man. I'm glad all the hard work paid off. Have fun with the new motor.

Quick Reply: How many passed CA referee?