3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

91 SR5 3.0 Conversion To 98 T100 3.4 Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 SR5 3.0 Conversion To 98 T100 3.4 Wiring

I have already posted on pirate 4x4 on this conversion but decided, with some advice, to come over here.. i am actually already almost finished with the swap and if anyone wants pictures of anything i can definately do so but since its not an in the proccess thing i decided against posting all my pics right now.. but i have a question on the wiring. I have diagrams and i have the walk through done Monch so i am sure i can do it. i just had a quick question though about the engine to body harness connectors IE1 and C1(IH1).. mine fit and just plug straight into eachother.. is this enough for me to think it is good to go and leave it as is or should i go through every wire and trace it to make sure they are all the same.. just trying to save some time
Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM

ok, so ive gotten a long way since my last post, my entire converison harness is actually already built except i cant find any schematic for where my 91 C1 and C2 wires go, or IH1 and IH2.. i have downloaded the stuff from TIS and cant find it anywhere... and i also cant find where to plug in the OBDII..
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM

you're tackling the hardest part of the wiring. Basically, I go through the ewd's and take not of the main wires and what they did coming from the c1 or c2 or ih1 or ih2 plugs. Then I match those up with the new ewd's that for the most part on manuals all are from the II3 plug. Then as I get most of the easy ones found, I go back through and look for any wires that are left over on the c1 and c2 plugs. IIRC, there are a couple that are just not used anymore. I de-pin the II3 wires, and pin them in to the c1 or c2 respectively. Its time consuming to say the least. I have 3 under my belt, and it still took me about 6 hours to complete the wiring on the last one. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM

haha yea this is so annoying.. like supposedly i have a speed censor wire coming off my c2 and i see on my EWD that i have one wire going to my speed censor and its grn/blu.. you would think ah slam dunk. there is only 1 wire, not much to choose from.. oh wait, there is no grn/blu wire coming from my c2... great
Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 PM

my 93 ewd shows c1 pin 20 is G-L for speed wire. I know its prolly different, but double check everything. it gets confusing for sure.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
since the second swap i did, I have started to making a "plug and play" harness using the ends of the 3.0 engine harness and 3.4 body harness ends.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM

dude Hamish, if you wouldnt mind posting your pin setup on here i would much appreciate it, cause that matches up with mine.. i must be doing something wrong i just dont know what..

and vital, thats what im doing too but i have to know what my C1 and C2 wires go to so that i can wire my plug harness correctly
Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM

ok guys! i have an update... my wiring harness is hooked up and my motor is turning over.. the only problem is i am getting no spark... i have my line from my distributor to my engine harness and then plugs into my body harness... am i missing something here? i am not a genious when it comes to this stuff ha
Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 91SR5PU
ok guys! i have an update... my wiring harness is hooked up and my motor is turning over.. the only problem is i am getting no spark... i have my line from my distributor to my engine harness and then plugs into my body harness... am i missing something here? i am not a genious when it comes to this stuff ha

Is the ignitor ground really good to the body? Is the body grounded really good the the motor? Is the motor grounded really good to the battery?

Is the main ignition wire hook to ignition voltage? On my Runner 3.4 it is a white/blue wire (L-W). SHould hook to the white/red wire in the kick panel that comes from the ignition relay in the fuse panel under the hood.

There is no distributor so i am confused there.

Last edited by dntsdad; 03-15-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 PM

haha wow that was a dumb thing to say, not the distributor... The body and motor are group well.. i will have to check the igniter.. I have voltage in the wires going to the plug and i have fuel running through.. i guess all i could think is the igniter not being ground then? i dont know.. i couldnt imagine it being bad plugs or plug wires because it ran right before i put it in my truck.. one thing though is that when i pull a cable off and stick a nail in it and touch it to a ground i get no spark..
Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 PM

Clean the mounting tabs of the ignitor REALLY good. I use a small wire wheel on the drill. Also, clean the spot where you are going to mount it.

On the passenger inner fenderwell there are tons of holes to start with. BOLT is down with a nut on the back. I wouldn't rely on screws.

A little dialectical grease wouldn't be a terrible idea to smear in there as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 PM

it fired up and ran great!!! haha i brought my wiring harness back inside to do a few checkups and ran them all by the schematics you sent me, Jason, and after i made a few changes i hooked it all back up and it started right up and idled perfectly! You are the man, thank you so much for all your help
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 AM

it fired up and ran great!!! haha i brought my wiring harness back inside to do a few checkups and ran them all by the schematics you sent me, Jason, and after i made a few changes i hooked it all back up and it started right up and idled perfectly! You are the man, thank you so much for all your help

Sweet!! Glad to hear it
Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Thanks man... unfortunatley its never over haha.. i can start my truck, idles great, nothing is wrong with the motor end... now i cant get my clutch to engage... my petal is like pushing on air. i have fluid in it but could it be something with since i had it open while starting it that maybe air got in or something and i have to bleed the system? i am kinda lost as to why it would all of a sudden like have no compression
Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM

Have a buddy.girlfriend, parent someone push the clutch and see if the rod on the slave is moving the fork. If not, then bleed it really well.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 AM

This is the last time i read a forum for help!!! haha i read about how you can put clutchs in backwards and that the hub side is supposed to go toward the PP and the flat side to the flywheel and i specifically remember putting the hub side into the flywheel so i was like hrmm i guess i put it in backward.. so i disconnect everything, drop my tranny and take off the PP and clutch and i was correct i put the hub side in, so i try to put the hub side to the PP and guess what, it doesnt fit, so i fiddle around with it a bit and notice some writing on it that says this side to flywheel... guess which side that was... the hub side.... haha guess i did all that for a whole lot of nothing.. time to put it back together again.........
Old 03-17-2011, 05:33 AM

This is the last time i read a forum for help!!! haha i read about how you can put clutchs in backwards and that the hub side is supposed to go toward the PP and the flat side to the flywheel and i specifically remember putting the hub side into the flywheel so i was like hrmm i guess i put it in backward.. so i disconnect everything, drop my tranny and take off the PP and clutch and i was correct i put the hub side in, so i try to put the hub side to the PP and guess what, it doesnt fit, so i fiddle around with it a bit and notice some writing on it that says this side to flywheel... guess which side that was... the hub side.... haha guess i did all that for a whole lot of nothing.. time to put it back together again.........
You need to get the factory service manual. It has a good shot of how it goes for other things later. Glad you figured it out.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 AM

bah that sucks man! I would check the slave cylinder like what dntsdad said. if that sucker isn't moving, you know what to do then. Also you have the 3.0 throwout right?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM

yea i guess that must be it, there is no way it could be anything else that i can think of.. and yea i do
Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 PM

completely bled the clutch and im good to go clutch now engages and disengages... gotta get the exhaust on and im finished!

Quick Reply: 91 SR5 3.0 Conversion To 98 T100 3.4 Wiring