3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.0L to 3.4L 94 4WD auto pre-plunge questions/homework...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kewl beans. yeah, my truck only has about 93k on it, and i havent had any noticeable transmission issues. so i will definitely try to stick with the stock 3.0 tranny for now...this is mainly an everyday driver that doesnt see a bunch of 'heavy' driving or 4x4-ing (crawling, mudding, etc), aside from towing a boat occasionally.

i stopped by the engine shop today and gave him my "homework", and he said he would read through it all tonight and we'll talk tomorrow to go over everything and see what all he thinks they can do and whatnot. he even advised me a little about when i go to find/look at the engine and such. saying that i should get the yard to get all the stuff i need from the donor in one swoop, that i could probably negotiate a discount of sorts that way, and get everything i need. hopefully i'll have a better idea of what to get from the donor after talking with him, but roughly i was looking to do it in kowboy's manner with a list of sorts for the wrecker...

"3.4L Engine with all the accessories (starter, alternator, AC, PS, etc)
4x4 T100 Transmission
T100 4x4 harness and ECU
Center console and shifter from 00-03 Tacoma auto w/ 4WD (w/ linkage)
Evap and VSVs
Air flow meter and Igniter
Cruise control module
Cross member and mount from manual 2nd Gen
"

minus all the tranny related stuff of course oh, would i need to nab the cruise control module also, or is that tranny dependent? i since i already have an engine and yard stock number picked out, it should be pretty straightforward...barring the truck/engine isnt completely mangled or anything like that.

depending on how tomorrow goes, i'm even tempted to ask if i could hang out and watch, and/or even help (assuming some of the work is done in the evenings/weekends ), as he seems to be a pretty good guy, and i think it's only him and another guy or two. as i wouldnt mind trying a project for myself, its just the lack of knowledge and resources that make me reluctant.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rlhd00z
oh, would i need to nab the cruise control module also, or is that tranny dependent?

I'm using a 3.0 cruise control.

Not sure if your cross member plans are good or not. Too drunk to comment more right now.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-12-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat

Not sure if your cross member plans are good or not. Too drunk to comment more right now.
kewl beans. i guess cruise control is dependent on the transmission?

oh, sorry...that was just a copy from syber_kowboy's project i was using as an example/outline, since it looks like my swap is going to be similar to his (minus the T100 tranny)...and since i'm going with my stock 3.0 tranny, the crossmember/tranny/transfer/shifter stuff shouldnt come into play. here's a better suited list for my purposes...

"3.4L Engine with all the accessories (starter, alternator, AC, PS, etc)
T100 4x4 harness and ECU
Evap and VSVs
Air flow meter and Igniter
"

Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 PM

Unhappy

alas, some sad news...looks like all my homework has been almost for nothing

stopped by the engine shop today to see what the guy said after going through all the 'homework' i gave him about the swap, and his eagerness was a near 180. i'm guessing he figured his time and frustrations outweighed the overall expense, after all, i think it's only him and another guy, so it would possibly tie up his shop for longer than he would like as well. and while i would like to attempt something like this myself, unfortunately i just dont feel i have the knowledge and resources (and time, especially if you factor in this being my daily driver) for a project like this. which is a shame, as i like the 2nd gens alot more than the newer generations, particularly with the tail-gate

that said, thus begins my quest for a replacement. given what i've learned from doing my homework and research for the 3.4 swap, some of the requirements i'm trying to keep myself to are...

4runner
3.4L
non-drive-by-wire
no traction control (al la: VSC, TRAC)

given those base requirements, any particular year(s) 4runner to narrow down my choices? i definitely want to keeps things as a 4runner. and 3.4L seems to be the obvious, more reliable choice for engine. i would much prefer a 'mechanical' throttle over a DBW. and the quick research i did earlier on the forums, seems as though many are dissatisfied with traction 'features' such as VSC, TRAC, etc. the DBW would probably be my main concern at the moment, as the traction stuff sounds like it can be defeated/disabled (andymod)...unless there are successful DBW mods/work arounds (which i didnt seem to turn up).

in short: which year/range of 3.4L 4runners use a mechanical (non-DBW) throttle? minus traction 'features' too, if possible?

(i imagine these new inquiries might get a larger audience if i repost in one of the bigger/more general forums too?)

thanks again for everyone's time, patience and help! i really learned alot about my beloved yota in the little badgering i subjected you all to thanks!

ps. if anyone is in the hampton roads, va area, there may potentially be a 1994 4runner with a drivable, but sickly 3.0L on the market soon if interested...lemme know
Old 02-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat

LOL! I know the feeling.

You can most definitely use a 3.0 cruise module. It just needs to modded. The cable isn't long enough. I think you can use a cable from a 22RE with cruise but the yard I got my stuff from did no have one so I just picked up a cruise module from a T100 that I still have to install.

As far as a cross member goes I could not use the 340H crossmember with a T100 transmission. I had to use a crossmember from a 91 4runner with a 22RE and manual transmission. Fit like a glove.