Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Northern Californa, Lost Cost/ Usal road

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Northern Californa, Lost Cost/ Usal road

I finally got My springs fixed and looking for some adventure.

I am looking at doing an Expo style trip along the Lost Coast. Depending on weather and road conditions of course. The trail Is 88 miles longs and I think two days will be enough time to traverse it. I am wondering who all maybe interested in such a trip?

If you Have not heard of the Lost Coast or Usal road, a simple Google search will provide all the info. you need. Hit me up if you have questions.

P.s. the dates are negotiable.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:36 PM

I wish I could surf. Looks like great fun, but too many other hobbies to pick surfing up. I would much rather get my dive license.

I would look forward to wheeling with you Toyospearo.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm down to head up there this weekend. My buddy is coming to town from Texas and has never been to California that weekend. So he's in for a treat. Where are you thinking about camping out at?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM

I am not really sure where I plan to camp. I have never been there before and do not know the area at all. I was just going to play it by ear.

I am thinking the best location to meet up at is at the U.S. Postoffice in the town of Leggett.

Coming from the south, it looks like the last place too fill up will be in Laytonville.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Long drives like this scare me. 13-14 mpg FTMFL :/
Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM

I do not know what too tell you about your mpg's Mak.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
mike, suck it up and get over it - gotta pay to play!

keith, which direction are you doing this trip? i'd have to talk to the wife first, but i'd love to do a trip like this, just might be tricky for us unless you plan it for a 3-day weekend.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
keith & Brian - Haha I cant suck it up about the MPGs! im too used to my girlfriends car now... 42 mpg is so nice, and its "quick" ( 2001 nissan sentra SE. ) after the SAS, my next project will definitely be a 3.4!

I might not be able to make it either way, my mom's birthday is the 30th.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
mike, suck it up and get over it - gotta pay to play!

keith, which direction are you doing this trip? i'd have to talk to the wife first, but i'd love to do a trip like this, just might be tricky for us unless you plan it for a 3-day weekend.
I am planing to go from the South end of Usal road and finish at the North. If you can't make it that weekend Brian, we may be able to plan another trip there on a three day weekend.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 PM

Mike, bring your girlfriends car...and your mother!!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sorry to hijack your thread but is this a off road trail or a hiking trail ?? If it is a off road trail where would you access it from the north side of the trail ? I would like to drive the trail from the north to the south then keep heading south toward the bay area . Thanks guys
Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM

I drove the trail last Memorial Day weekend. It had a few muddy spots, but I made it no problem. It hadn't rained in a few weeks then. It's probably a different story this time of year! There are quite a few roads/trails up there. They are county roads but rarely maintained.

The road I drove was Usal Road, which leads to Usal Beach. It is were the old pier used to be for the U. S. A. Lumber company, hence the acroynm. Anyways, South entrance to this road is at mile marker 90.88. It is 14.7 miles from Leggett and named Mendocino County Road 431.

The North entrance is at Four Corners these are the directions to there:

From Highway 101, take either the Garberville or Redway exit and proceed to “downtown” Redway, located 3 miles north of Garberville on Business 101. Turn west on Briceland Road. After 12 miles of travel, fork left to Whitethorn. A mile or so past the hamlet of Whitethorn (don’t blink or you’ll miss it), the pavement ends, and you continue on a potholed dirt/mud road for 3.5 miles to a junction called Four Corners. Leftward is Usal Road, rightward heads to Usal Beach apx. 20bmiles. Proceed straight ahead 3.5 miles to the Sinkyone Wilderness State Park Visitor Center.

Sorry for the long post!

I used Guide to Nor. Cal Backroads & 4 Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells
&
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25201
Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 PM

I'm about 4 hrs from Leggett. I could be there by about 10am on Saturday.

It's probably an hour to get to Usal Beach. Then 20 miles to Sinkyone Wilderness. Camping there is pretty awesome. Your on a cliff right over the ocean with fire pits and picnic table. You can also drive down to Bear Harbor another 4 miles. Unless it's to muddy they lock the gate. But you can hike about a mile and camp by the beach.
Usal Beach camping is just on the sand next to the ocean. Not as spectacular.

If I remember correctly, it took around 4-5 hrs to make it from Usal to Sinkyone. But it wasn't as muddy as it's gonna be this time. But my truck mysteriously died in the middle of the trip and wouldn't start. Thank goodness my girlfriend was there

We could fill up in Leggett and then again afterwards on the road to Shelter Cove. Past the highway to Shelter cove there are some more roads I haven't explored before. I'd like to check out King Peaks Road and Saddle Mountain road and then also King Range Road. There is more primitive camping there.

So I'm thinking probably camp at Sinkyone one night and then somewhere North of there one night. I'm gonna go check out the Humboldt Redwoods after that. Let me know what you think.

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
I am not really sure where I plan to camp. I have never been there before and do not know the area at all. I was just going to play it by ear.

I am thinking the best location to meet up at is at the U.S. Postoffice in the town of Leggett.

Coming from the south, it looks like the last place too fill up will be in Laytonville.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the into. jeffe. It is surely good to know that it is possible to fill up on fuel in Leggett. I never could find a fueling station on the net or other wise. This is the reason I thought Laytonville was the last place too fill up, if coming from the South.

As for Camping and the lot, you suggestions sound good. Although I must return home by that Monday, I just plan on playing it by ear.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffe
i drove the trail last memorial day weekend. It had a few muddy spots, but i made it no problem. It hadn't rained in a few weeks then. It's probably a different story this time of year! There are quite a few roads/trails up there. They are county roads but rarely maintained.

The road i drove was usal road, which leads to usal beach. It is were the old pier used to be for the u. S. A. Lumber company, hence the acroynm. Anyways, south entrance to this road is at mile marker 90.88. It is 14.7 miles from leggett and named mendocino county road 431.

The north entrance is at four corners these are the directions to there:

From highway 101, take either the garberville or redway exit and proceed to “downtown” redway, located 3 miles north of garberville on business 101. Turn west on briceland road. After 12 miles of travel, fork left to whitethorn. A mile or so past the hamlet of whitethorn (don’t blink or you’ll miss it), the pavement ends, and you continue on a potholed dirt/mud road for 3.5 miles to a junction called four corners. Leftward is usal road, rightward heads to usal beach apx. 20bmiles. Proceed straight ahead 3.5 miles to the sinkyone wilderness state park visitor center.

Sorry for the long post!

I used guide to nor. Cal backroads & 4 wheel drive trails by charles a. Wells
&
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25201
thank you very much !!!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe need to finish moving in and im still saving for a camper shell
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
id like to make it out but i wont know until later..
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Well, I can say this. For anyone who may not be able to make this trip, there will be more to come. Now that I have my suspension all worked out. I will be trying too get out exploring at least once a month.

If anyone has any suggestion as to where to hit up next, bring the idea forward. I am down for just about anything. Even just a nice ride down the Tarmac.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
well since there's no snow up in Tahoe, i'm crossing my fingers that the Forestry Service will open up Squaw again - or hit up something else...like eagle lakes...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Eagle lakes should surely be open at the moment. Squaw might be open right now as well. I have seen a photo from 9900ft. at Yosemite with now snow at all.

Quick Reply: Northern Californa, Lost Cost/ Usal road